Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New to me 97 ls650p newbi (Read 95 times)
Wildcore71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New to me 97 ls650p newbi
03/28/18 at 05:11:53

First let me say this looks like an amazing community and I'm super glad I was approved! Grin Grin

Second I am overly exited about this community so sorry for the overdone post...

Now that that's out of the way, hello i have recently joined the savage family with my 97 ls650p!! Got the bike for 650 !!great price! Running. Rode the bike home that day.

I'm a mid level (in my opinion) mechanic I can handle most things and have a decent set of tools and what I dont have my father and in law does have.

I will not be restoring the bike its just to rough for that (dents,past wreck) missing all plastic just broken things here and there and ALLOT of bad wiring….. Its amazing it runs…

Now the guy I got it from said he replaced head gasket and tensioner last year, idk if I am going to believe him considering he said he did the breaks and allot of things he said he did I'm finding to be a lie… Front caliper is leaking (removing today to see why)...ill post some pictures of what i've done, me and my father are making a custom exhaust tip since the old owner welded on a Kawasaki tip that fell off on the way home...sorry car behind me…

What the top of engine leaks a bit under the metal cover I cleaned it and haven't cranked it yet to see where its coming from yet.

[What I have done so far]
Petcock replacement (vacumeless)
New fuel line
Pod air filter (old air box was already removed but I have it)
Going threw replacing and fixing wires
Just ordered a new turn signal/horn/headlight module for bars.(old one broken)
Just ordered some bullet rubber led turn signals
(no turn signals on it)

[Things I know I need to do]
Rear fender (custom I am going kinda bobber)
Fix oil leak top of engine
Oil change??
Choke rod plastic thread bolt?? Is broken
(still works)
Front brake caliper leak
Front forks are bad need to reseal but idk how

IMG_20180322_084926_450.jpg
  IP Logged
Wildcore71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: New to me 97 ls650p newbi
Reply #1 - 03/28/18 at 05:20:29

I'm not good yet with posting pics to forums.... So here

https://ibb.co/bwJWqS
https://ibb.co/fuymPn
https://ibb.co/ckvBqS
https://ibb.co/bB3EAS
https://ibb.co/mnfGPn

This of what ive done... Hopefully my father gets the pipes done soon (were making a steampunk minigun pipes

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #2 - 03/28/18 at 06:50:19

Hey man, welcome!  
Beautiful children there.  If that's your daughter, she looks like she's giving you a "disapproving wife stare"!  Grin

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Wildcore71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 03/28/18 at 06:53:46

Tocsik wrote on 03/28/18 at 06:50:19:
Hey man, welcome!  
Beautiful children there.  If that's your daughter, she looks like she's giving you a "disapproving wife stare"!  Grin

Hahaha yes I have 4 kids 3 boys and 1 girl and she was actually mad because she cant ride...she loves the bike.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 03/28/18 at 07:04:04

First let me say this looks like an amazing community and I'm super glad I was approved! Grin Grin

Well, you'll realize soon enough our standards are really, and I mean REALLY, low. Fill in the blanks and
Shazzam...
OTOH, I have No Clue how many try and aren't approved..
Anyway, welcome,
And I was reading her face as saying

Dad gets all the cool stuff..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Wildcore71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 03/28/18 at 07:05:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/28/18 at 07:04:04:

Well, you'll realize soon enough our standards are really, and I mean REALLY, low. Fill in the blanks and
Shazzam...
OTOH, I have No Clue how many try and aren't approved..
Anyway, welcome,
And I was reading her face as saying

Dad gets all the cool stuff..

Yea that might have been the case...most of my kids like helping me. I never knew how powerful a 5 year old with a old toothbrush and some degreaser can be...

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/28/18 at 07:37:41

Sometimes the old grungy bikes are the coolest.

Way back a long time ago I bought a Suzuki TS90 with a blown cylinder for $40.  I put in a new piston/rings, took the headlights off, installed knobby tires....and went racing hare scrambles with it.  It proved to be incredibly durable and reliable, and I didn't have much invested and I never felt nervous about letting other folks ride or race it.  The amazing thing was that in the late 70's a ratty bike like this could even win some races!

So......if you get your bike reliable and running well - you can just ride the wheels off it and not have to worry about getting it dirty!  Just go riding and don't worry about polishing anything!

Long live the Grunge bike!  Cool

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 03/28/18 at 08:16:26

It's a good idea to lay your hands on o a Clymer book , it will pay for itself ,if you plan on doing the work yourself. The fact that you drove it home means the price you paid should be a good deal . welcome aboard! You may want to tell us a bit more about the bike ,mileage?

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Wildcore71
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 03/28/18 at 08:24:39

batman wrote on 03/28/18 at 08:16:26:
It's a good idea to lay your hands on o a Clymer book , it will pay for itself ,if you plan on doing the work yourself. The fact that you drove it home means the price you paid should be a good deal . welcome aboard! You may want to tell us a bit more about the bike ,mileage?

Yea I have some digital resources but I will splurge and buy a book any good sources? I have rode the bike about 40 miles so far after tinker here tinker there it runs (to me) smooth but it has been in a wreak and it has a good vibration when riding not bad enough to go numb but noticeable could be the spokes tho???

15k and some change the past owner said he did the chain tensioner but allot of what he said he did was either jackleg or a lie... Ive never done a tensioner on a bike (I'm more of a car mechanic but have a few hours in bike work) should I take a look inside at it?? Also is there a torq on the top bolts of head? I belive tjats where ots leaking some oil under cover where plug is and it hits a few fins...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 03/28/18 at 23:25:14

Wildcore ,15,000 miles is enough to be pulling the right side cover and checking the tensioner, and being you don't have much faith in the previous owner( PO) I would look just for piece of mind, If it has not been dealt with and comes apart it could major damage to the motor. It is very rare that the head gasket on these bikes fail (about 2 in 8000+ reported here) or that they need to be torqued after leaving the factory, most oil leaks  stem from the rubber plug above the head bolt under the head cover) ,an improperly sealed head cover (not the chrome pieces),or loose bolts that hold the foot pegs on and the lower center cases together (seam leak). there are many different length bolts,  both in the head cover and the side cover, and some have oil sealing washers , I would not attempt repairs with out first read about them in a Clymer's manual . If the leak is from one of the bolts you could try to tighten it but you must take care they are easily broken or the threads in the motor stripped , which creates a nightmare.

« Last Edit: 04/03/18 at 19:59:52 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/27/24 at 18:28:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New to me 97 ls650p newbi

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.