Drag Strip Times (Read 235 times)
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Drag Strip Times
03/25/18 at 01:51:04

Has anyone taken their LS650 to the drag strip.  Please post your setups with drag strip statistics. For example, mods to your bike, 60 ft times, 1/8 mile times & mph, 1/4 mile times & mph.  I want to build a fast LS650 so I need to know what to shoot for.  I have a feeling this one lunger can go.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Drag Strip Times
Reply #1 - 03/25/18 at 04:28:17

DragBikeMike wrote on 03/25/18 at 01:51:04:
 I have a feeling this one lunger can go.

Unfortunately.......in a word........maybe 2........"Not Really".

The Savage engine can be made better - but it cannot be made to be really fast.  It has a lot of torque down low - but the exhaust port in the cylinder is very poorly designed.   Some work can be done to make it better - but even with extensive porting it is still a very poor design and limits the flow which results in poor HP numbers.  The stock bike is around 30 HP, the engine can be made to have around 40 HP with the Wiseco, cam, porting, carb, exhaust work.......getting to 50 HP has been a goal for some folks.  (The stock KTM and Husky 690cc bikes have single cylinders and can make around 70 HP).

A modified Savage can get to 80 mph pretty quickly - beyond that the acceleration begins to suffer.

The bike might well be the fastest cruiser across the intersection - it will not be in the lead by the end of the block.

My bike has a 95mm Wiseco, Stage 1 cam, Mikuni Round slide, port work and a more open exhaust.  It runs really well, makes me smile, accelerates as fast as I need it to, corners well - it may get off the line pretty quickly - but it will not win any drag races.

If you want to make the fastest Savage in the world.....the members of this forum will help and support you - just be aware that you are working with what is basically a big lawnmower engine........and the cylinder head is going to limit what can be done.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #2 - 03/25/18 at 12:30:46

Very nice reply Dave.  It pretty much says it all....but.....hope springs eternal.  I love tinkering with motorcycles and this little one lunger looks like it will be a great challenge and afford me the opportunity to learn a few things.  Tell me more about this poorly designed exhaust port.  Anyone ever had the head checked out on a flow bench and professionally ported?

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 03/26/18 at 04:40:07

I have not had a professional porting job done nor a flow bench check, but did have an extensive conversation with a shop owner whose sole job is building racing motorcycle engines.  On my last visit he had literally dozens of engines lined up for work.  During our conversation I detailed what I was doing and he stated it was correct.  There was one thing I did not have and that was a tool that is used to grind the valve seat and his had an additional feature that rounded slightly the area just beneath the valve, and that was designed to improve flow.  I don't polish but do smooth the exhaust port.  It may not be as pretty but it works.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 03/26/18 at 04:47:36

You asked about the exhaust port, it is like a leg bone that has been broken twice but never set properly and so it healed up with a couple of extra twist and turns in it.  Imagine looking at that leg bone on an exray and that is our exhaust port.
Suzuki designed this purposely so it would not compete with the DR650 engine.  Both were being made at the same time so you know this was no accident or an engineering issue they could not deal with.  
It was on purpose.
Yeah. 😬

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 03/26/18 at 06:09:32

I have never taken the Savage to a drag strip.....I enjoy corners far more than I enjoy going straight.

My bike has a GPS speedometer that has 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile timers, and I have done a few runs to see what my bike does.  I have very tall gearing (double Kawasaki pulleys and 18" rear wheel), and I don't do really hard starts as I believe it puts a lot of stress on the clutch and rubber belt....so somebody who is willing to rev the engine and drop the clutch will likely be able to get a bit better times than I do.

My 0-60 time is repeatedly around 5 seconds.  I can't remember what the 1/4 mile times are.....I believe I have it written down somewhere and will see if I can find it.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 03/26/18 at 07:43:44

LANCER wrote on 03/26/18 at 04:47:36:
You asked about the exhaust port, it is like a leg bone that has been broken twice but never set properly and so it healed up with a couple of extra twist and turns in it.  Imagine looking at that leg bone on an xray and that is our exhaust port.

Here is a thread that has good photos of the ports, and work that could be done to improve things:

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1200747403

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 03/26/18 at 09:48:47

If you want it to go down the track fast
Tie it to someone else's wheelie bar.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
DragBikeMike
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Honolulu
Reply #8 - 03/26/18 at 10:47:13

Thanks to all for some really great info.  The link with all the pictures of the ports is excellent, good photos.   And the details on port mods are very helpful.  I'm not looking to drag race the beast so I guess I won't need a tow strap to hook up to anyone's wheelie bars (I loved that post).  I just want to see what this puppy can do.  Mine is bone stock and it feels really good as-is.  Love the torque.

Knowledge is power.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 03/27/18 at 03:16:18

The mod's we do "enhance" the torquey character of this engine.  The cam & piston upgrades are primary and add/expand the torque & power base, while a carb swap is about power & responsiveness.
Other mods correct issues or help with longevity.  One of our members had 150,000 miles on his bike when he rebuilt it last year.  His cylinder and head were in virtually new condition, only the valves and rockers needed replacement.  The cam bearing surfaces were pristine and the camshaft was still very nice.
His bike was still stock and the engine itself had never been cracked open.

IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #10 - 03/27/18 at 09:47:02

LANCER wrote on 03/27/18 at 03:16:18:
The mod's we do "enhance" the torquey character of this engine.  The cam & piston upgrades are primary and add/expand the torque & power base, while a carb swap is about power & responsiveness.
Other mods correct issues or help with longevity.  One of our members had 150,000 miles on his bike when he rebuilt it last year.  His cylinder and head were in virtually new condition, only the valves and rockers needed replacement.  The cam bearing surfaces were pristine and the camshaft was still very nice.
His bike was still stock and the engine itself had never been cracked open.

He didn't change the rockers.  I know.. I was there and talked him out of it.  
He wanted to buy new ones with the hardened surfaces "just in case", even though the originals looked fine.  I wanted the bike back together.
The arguments were violent.. it was ugly.
Tongue

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #11 - 03/27/18 at 10:18:05

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 03/26/18 at 09:48:47:
If you want it to go down the track fast
Tie it to someone else's wheelie bar.

JOG you crack me up ! But it's the truth even if it hurts , it's the way it is !
Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 03/27/18 at 14:20:35

As much as that truth may
Hurt,
I'll bet that ain't nothing compared to what happens a coupla seconds after the chutes pop.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 03/27/18 at 16:51:14

I agree with Dave. Maybe a motorcycle tractor pull? Maybe you remember the Kawasaki 750cc 2 stroker? There was a drag bike. 3 cylinder 2 stroke. Guaranteed to self-destruct within 10,000 miles.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 03/27/18 at 18:41:48

If you survived the moment it hit the powerband.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/20/24 at 06:30:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Drag Strip Times

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.