Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How does this petcock come apart? (Read 167 times)
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
How does this petcock come apart?
03/01/18 at 10:41:08

I hit the starter and got nothing. I looked at the inline fuel filter and saw nothing. I tried to switch the petcock from Res to Run and I changes nothing. It was frozen solid. I removed the diaphram screws and the lever retention clip and pulled them off. A black ooze of something that may once have been gasoline (15 years ago, when the bike was wrecked then parked with an almost full tank) came out. I still could not move the white plate that the lever is supposed to turn. I have it soaking in Yamabond carb cleaner now (safe for rubber parts).

My question - how does this white plastic plate come out of the petcock? I will need to remove it to get the residual gasoline glue out, but I don't want to force it.

Thanks.

Patrick

The glorious rays of dawn exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: How does this petcock come apart?
Reply #1 - 03/01/18 at 10:46:34

The best solution is to put a raptor petcock on it and save yourself a lot of trouble.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/01/18 at 10:52:40

If it sat that long you better inspect the tank and oil the cylinder.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #3 - 03/01/18 at 11:02:35

The tank was a two-day project already. If you haven't seen a full tank of gas reduced to thick black goo you haven't lived. I haven't figured out yet how I missed the petcock. I usually check them first.

The bike at least was stored indoors, so the engine didn't freeze or even get reluctant. I was very pleased at its condition. I have started bikes that sat much longer than this one did.

I probably won't give this petcock more than today. An aftermarket replacement is only about $10. Has anyone tried one of the cheap aftermarket petcocks? I usually avoid cheap aftermarket parts, but a petcock is just a valve. There is no adjustment. If it doesn't leak, it either works or doesn't.

IP Logged
tom3215
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 03/01/18 at 11:30:23

I got the rapter petcock from ebay,  non Chinese, Yamaha part number and Yamaha petcock for $15 and bought a few screw and washer, so all in I was about $24 with shipping.  This should last the life of the bike.
Like my wife always tells me, "we are not rich enough to buy twice" Wink

Best wishes

Tom3215 Wink

IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #5 - 03/01/18 at 11:40:23

Do you have a link for that one, Tom? "Raptor petcock" gets more than 500 results on Ebay. Several models of petcock, too.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 03/01/18 at 11:52:01

The tuff part about chineese and fleabay copies is getting the right one.
Most of the time you're going to get one with undersized fitting so you can't use the ~5/16" line and will use 1/4" line.  Which is prone to vapor lock.

For that reason we can't recommend the copies.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 03/01/18 at 12:04:23

And it's best not to use an inline filter, they can be come air bound or hold water,slowing or stopping fuel flow. the bike has two filters already, the petcock screen and a small screen just above the float valve seat in the carb ,you should check that one also if the bike sat with fuel that long. the petcock comes apart from the front ,the metal piece that labels the position can be gently pried out on both sides .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #8 - 03/01/18 at 12:06:30

5/16ths line? Wow, I didn't notice that. I replaced it with 1/4. Guess I need to go back to the original.

That's surprising to me. All four carbs on my Yamaha XS1100 are fed by a 1/4-inch line and all four carbs on my  Honda CB750s use even thinner, 5.5 mm line. Why does a single carb need such high fuel flow?

I'll need a different inline filter too. Where do you find a small inline filter that will support that level of flow? Garden hose supply?

I am really glad I found this forum.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 03/01/18 at 12:07:31

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 03/01/18 at 12:14:24

All four carbs on my Yamaha XS1100 are fed by a 1/4-inch line and all four carbs on my  Honda CB750s use even thinner, 5.5 mm line. Why does a single carb need such high fuel flow?

Because your 1100 has four 275 c.f. cylinders, and the savage has one
Six Hunnert and Fifty Tew CC cylinder.

Don't save money on your Petcock, get the Genuine article.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
AustinEire
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Austin, TX
Reply #11 - 03/01/18 at 12:16:40

I got most of the petcock apart, Batman. I just can't figure out if the white plastic selector plate pushes out from the back. Since it is frozen with old fuel, I can't wiggle it to see if that is possible.

The petcock I have looks rebuildable. The rubber parts are in good condition. If the Yamabond loosens that plastic plate so it turns I'll put this one back together and use it.

The parts on this bike were essentially new when the bike was parked. It only had 1,200 original miles when it crashed. Everything alse was rebuildable/reusable (except the front end), until I hit the petcock. I haven't given up on it, but if replacements are cheap my level of effort becomes a bit less focused.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 03/01/18 at 20:51:03

The stock petcock could die from old age (not wear) inspect the vacuum diaphragm for pin holes ,cracks and flexibility. the raptor petcock costs only about $30.00 ,the stock petcock about 3 times that ,and even a new stock one is doomed to fail,  and yes I believe the plastic plug (it's not a plate ,it's more like a tapered  bung ) should come out the front.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 03/02/18 at 03:14:21

As others have mentioned, in inline filter can be a big problem - especially  if you buy a Chinese copy with the small outlet.  If you need to use a 1/4"  fuel hose on the petcock....then you install a 1/4" plastic inline fuel filter - the fittings on the filter are made of thick plastic and the inlet/outlet hole are tiny.  The 1/4" fuel line and filter can likely flow enough fuel for the Savage - but what happens is that when you turn on the petcock and the fuel flows down while the air is trying to come out of the filter......and air bubble can get trapped in the small filter openings and cause an "air lock" that prevents the fuel from flowing through the filter.

The petcock has filters on the inlet tubes.....the carb has a filter just above the needle/seat - you really don't need an additional filter inline. (Provided you have done a good job cleaning out your tank).

The stock petcock can be a problem - the ethanol fuel either causes the diaphragm to deteriorate and get leaky (which causes too much fuel in the engine and can also flood the crankcase and/or airbox with fuel) - or the diaphragm can get stiff and the petcock doesn't work properly.  When the diaphragm gets stiff the fuel flow becomes intermittent and the flow stops when the engine is under load and has low engine vacuum - so the bike can run well until you get up to highway speeds - folks misinterpret the symptoms and start looking everywhere but the petcock.

These folks have given you very good advice that comes from years of combined Savage experience - you really should choose to trust them and not use the stock petcock (especially with the original rubber parts).  And if/when you buy a replacement petcock - you should spend $30 and get a genuine Yamaha Raptor petcock.

It is not always "Our way of the Highway" - but it can be "Our way or a long walk Home"  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #14 - 03/02/18 at 05:25:42

Yamaha Raptor 660 gas shut-off part # 5LP-24500-01-00

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 23:30:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How does this petcock come apart?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.