Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixture screw does nothing (Read 144 times)
Thumperman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Mexico
Mixture screw does nothing
03/03/18 at 20:22:39

My bike, in New Mexico,  sat all last summer while I was in Alaska. When I came home I noticed no fuel in the tank. Didn’t I leave it full of ethanol free gas?
Anyway, I put in some gas and tried to start. Bad news. Fired once and quit with fuel running out of the Airbox. Airbox had at least a cup of fuel in the bottom .
I think it’s the carb, stuck float or such but then I think oh yeah it’s that crappy peacock. I placed a raptor on order and proceeded to remove same. Sure enough the little o ring had failed.
Since I was waiting for the Raptor petcock I decided to check my cam chain tensioner, first step, drain oil. Simple enough but when I pulled the drain plug I got about over a gallon of fuel that spewed forth all over my shed floor. Not good. Plus, when I removed the clutch cover I found my tensioner cocked up and about to grenade. Ordered a verslavy.
While I was waiting for the verslavy I decided to finally drill out and eaze out my stripped air mixture screw. Used the described torx bit method and had no trouble removing. Screws on and out fine now.
Now to the problem.  I installed the verslavy and new petcock, filled with new T6, installed new oil filter and fired it up.  Good, no leaks and seems to idle fine, but when I try to adjust the mixture to tune in my newly installed megaphone, nothing happens. I can screw it in all the way and it still idles fine. Out over 3 turns and nothing changes. It drives and accelerates good but still has the pop on the overrun.
Any ideas where to look?

‘97 Savage with 9700 miles. One owner

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Mixture screw does nothing
Reply #1 - 03/03/18 at 22:34:59

Either your idle speed is too high or your pilot jet is too big... most likely the latter.

pop on shut down is your muffler.  some muffs will pop.  and do you tune it to shut down or run?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 03/04/18 at 08:45:44

Don't forget, you, unintentionally, dumped Gasoline in the shed.
That could be a problem..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #3 - 03/04/18 at 10:30:59

Is it possible you left out the little o-ring on the air mix screw (and or, the washer and spring)?

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Thumperman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Mexico
Reply #4 - 03/04/18 at 11:32:08

Ok I checked the idle speed and adjusted down till barely running mixture screw has no effect all the way in or all the way out. It does die when the screw is removed.
I did not know there was any o-ring or spring and washer associated with this screw.
I guess I’ll try a smaller jet.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 03/04/18 at 16:32:55

If your bike sat for about 6 months and your pilot screw is not functioning at all I suspect crud has built up inside the carb body.
Do check the pilot screw hole for a tiny washer and a rubber ring,  without them it will not work properly, but if they are ok then check the passageways in the carb body.  There are quite a few of them; some really tiny ones (3) in the brass tube hanging down in the float bowl, 6 in the needle jet, 1 on the intake side of the carb throat, 2 inside the right side plate with 3 screws, and 3 more in the engine side of the throat.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 03/05/18 at 09:49:38

While the petcock is your first problem (gas leaked past it) your second problem is the float valve which should have held ,but gas also leaked by it ,allowing it to run into your oil and maybe your air box (it can go either way ,maybe both) . Even if you replace the petcock your still going to have flooding in the carb unless you address the float valve problem . You'll need to inspect it for damage and pull the valve seat to check the O-ring and clean the screen that sets above it in the carb body.You should check float level height on the way out. It is improper to assume that with the mix screw all the way in that the bike will stall. there are two passages the fuel takes into the carb from the idle jet and the mix screw sits in one, the other is always open , that means the mix screw is an adjustment(tuning) ,not a shut off.

« Last Edit: 03/07/18 at 09:30:45 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #7 - 03/05/18 at 12:56:53

Air Mix Screw with spring, washer, o-ring (goes on in this order).

Maybe one of the mods can put this in the Tech section as a quick reference image since this question arises quite often.

IMG_20161006_182228_002.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Thumperman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Mexico
Reply #8 - 03/05/18 at 16:29:16

Just removed the carb to clean and inspect. I did find the spring washer and o-ring for the mixture screw.
I’ll report back with findings after I tear it down.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #9 - 03/05/18 at 16:46:40

There you go Stew. Right to the bottom of things! Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Thumperman
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Mexico
Reply #10 - 03/07/18 at 06:53:37

Disassembled the carb yesterday and cleaned all the jets and inspected/cleaned all the little holes per Lancer and Batman’s direction.
Reassembled and installed. I fired it up and adjusted idle and mixture.
There was a little change as the mix screw was adjusted but no much. I got it as good as I could and took it for a ride.  It ran just fine with no popping or backfires at shutdown.
All seems to be in order and performance has improved with the new megaphone silencer.
Thanks for everyone’s help. This is a great forum Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 04:21:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mixture screw does nothing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.