Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Something good from the shooting... (Read 140 times)
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Something good from the shooting...
02/27/18 at 09:12:50

Exposing Crony Capitalism

Georgia Republicans threaten to stop Delta tax break over NRA decision

http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/26/news/companies/delta-nra-georgia-republican/i...

Casey Cagle

@CaseyCagle
I will kill any tax legislation that benefits @Delta unless the company changes its position and fully reinstates its relationship with @NRA.  Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Something good from the shooting...
Reply #1 - 02/27/18 at 09:18:14

That's not inside the definition of crony capitalism.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/27/18 at 09:34:02

the definition:

Crony capitalism is an economy in which businesses thrive not as a result of risks they take, but rather as a return on money amassed through a nexus between a business class and the political class.

this is a textbook example of it.  Delta did something that the politicians don't like, so now the politicians are punishing Delta, when they were totally happy rewarding them before.  

looks like a shakedown to me.

it goes both ways

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/27/18 at 11:09:25

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 02/27/18 at 09:34:02:
the definition:

Crony capitalism is an economy in which businesses thrive not as a result of risks they take, but rather as a return on money amassed through a nexus between a business class and the political class.

this is a textbook example of it.  Delta did something that the politicians don't like, so now the politicians are punishing Delta, when they were totally happy rewarding them before.  

looks like a shakedown to me.

it goes both ways

Well put!  It's amazing how many conservative thinks that this type of behavior is just fine....

http://www.yahoo.com/news/georgia-state-official-says-kill-211700302.html

A POS state senator has such little regard for his job that he goes and threatens a company with taxes?

Lost - can you just imagine if any democrat had even thought about something like that????

The cons' heads would explode!!

But check this out:

Mr Cagle also tweeted: "Corporations cannot attack conservatives and expect us not to fight back."

A statement from the airline on the matter of ending the discount said: “Delta’s decision reflects the airline’s neutral status in the current national debate over gun control amid recent school shootings. Out of respect for our customers and employees on both sides, Delta has taken this action to refrain from entering this debate and focus on its business. Delta continues to support the 2nd Amendment.”

Yeah, 'nuff said.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 02/27/18 at 13:27:18

The airline had a deal with NRA members.
They decided to not continue that arrangement.
All well and good.
That's their right.

The airline was getting tax breaks from a place.
The place decided that if the airline wouldn't continue with their NRA arrangement, they wouldn't continue to cut the airline a break.

Exactly NOTHING THERE that is crony capitalism.
Nothing.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/27/18 at 13:48:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/27/18 at 13:27:18:
The airline had a deal with NRA members.
They decided to not continue that arrangement.
All well and good.
That's their right.

The airline was getting tax breaks from a place.
The place decided that if the airline wouldn't continue with their NRA arrangement, they wouldn't continue to cut the airline a break.

Exactly NOTHING THERE that is crony capitalism.
Nothing.

again

this business is now having their financial success being threatened because they took a political stance that the local politicians don't like. This business is no longer thriving as a result of the risks they took, but are now threatened by the association it has taken with a political class.

I literally used the definition, without twisting it around one bit and spelled it out

politicians are messing with this business wanting to alter their behavior to get them to contribute (via discounted rates) to a group that donates HEAVILY to those politicians, it's a round about bribe, the NRA donates to these politicians to keep their interests profitable, the NRA is PAYING these politicians to keep the NRA in a positive light.

the NRA is the crony here.  Delta is the victim.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 02/27/18 at 14:08:21

So, GA doesn't give Delta a tax break to have their headquarters there?
Doesn't that have to do with jobs?
And Delta doesn't give NRA members a discount to encourage business and free ads?
What percentage of NRA members are there in GA?

A corporate victim?  is that a oxymoron?

WWW   IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/27/18 at 14:20:51

verslagen1 wrote on 02/27/18 at 14:08:21:
So, GA doesn't give Delta a tax break to have their headquarters there?
Doesn't that have to do with jobs?
And Delta doesn't give NRA members a discount to encourage business and free ads?
What percentage of NRA members are there in GA?

A corporate victim?  is that a oxymoron?

if Georgia, as a state, voted on it, then that is what it is, but because the REPUBLICAN government of Georgia is holding this as leverage to make Delta do something to appease REPUBLICAN sponsors, so that the NRA can attract more members by offering discounts as a benefit, the GOVERNMENT is interfering in a business relationship between the NRA and Delta

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 02/27/18 at 14:31:56

Do I go to AAA cause I get discounts?  No.
Why would anyone go to NRA that didn't shoot?

WWW   IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/27/18 at 14:49:33

verslagen1 wrote on 02/27/18 at 14:31:56:
Do I go to AAA cause I get discounts?  No.
Why would anyone go to NRA that didn't shoot?

what's that have to do with anything?

getting discounts adds value to the membership. it helps them get MORE shooters and helps Delta get more flyers. If one of them, for whatever reason wants to cancel that arrangement, the GOVERNMENT shouldn't step in and say no, you can't do that, we're going to punish you for that.

Let's say this was the other way around. Let's say that the NRA wanted to stop the arrangement because Delta threw one gun owner off of a plane because of whatever. Would it be okay for the GOVERNMENT to tell the NRA, on no, you have to keep this as a benefit...  

of course not

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/27/18 at 15:20:12

So it wasn't possible for the nra to ask the govt to give delta a tax break either?

WWW   IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/27/18 at 15:45:12

verslagen1 wrote on 02/27/18 at 15:20:12:
So it wasn't possible for the nra to ask the govt to give delta a tax break either?

what?

sure, that's possible, but not necessary

here's how it works, as I've explained like 20 times already.

the NRA donates big time to the Republicans, the Republicans support the NRA (aka, are paid to support them).  Delta "hurt" the NRA by no longer offering a discount that added value to NRA membership.  the Republicans, wanting to support their big time donors (the NRA) and keep the money coming (aka, giving the NRA what they've paid for) retaliate against Delta reneging on a deal they had with Delta that had NOTHING to do with the NRA until now.  

so the Republicans are retaliating based on Delta's POLITICAL action, nothing else. Republicans are trying to coerce Delta to act how they want them to instead of how Delta feels best.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 02/27/18 at 19:57:42

Quote:
the NRA donates big time to the Republicans, the Republicans support the NRA (aka, are paid to support them).  Delta "hurt" the NRA by no longer offering a discount that added value to NRA membership.  the Republicans, wanting to support their big time donors (the NRA) and keep the money coming (aka, giving the NRA what they've paid for) retaliate against Delta reneging on a deal they had with Delta that had NOTHING to do with the NRA until now.  

so the Republicans are retaliating based on Delta's POLITICAL action, nothing else. Republicans are trying to coerce Delta to act how they want them toinstead of how Delta feels best.

I think that's a pretty accurate description of the situation.

Delta entered into it's arrangement with the NRA because they thought that having NRA members use their services, even at a discount, would be good for their business.  They stopped the arrangement because, after the school murders, Delta was afraid the relationship with the NRA would become a liability,  not from an economic standpoint, but from a PR one. I doubt that the economic benefits of the member discount , to either Delta of the NRA, amounted to a whole lot.  The term in current vogue to describe what Delta did is "virtue signaling" The entity doing the "signaling" usually does not expect any serious consequences from what is really just a symbolic act.   I wonder if Delta failed to anticipate  the Georgia politicians response.

So:
Delta's corporate officers, being sniveling PC chickensh*ts, screwed up.
The Georgia Politicians  (like pretty much all politicians) are  bought and paid for shills.
The NRA will be just fine, as will the members of that organization, who bear no responsibility whatsoever for the murders.
If the tax break goes away Delta's shareholders will be the ones that take it in the shorts.

But never fear. Just this afternoon the governor of my fair state, Andy Cuomo,who hates guns and anyone who owns them, said that he'd welcome Delta if they choose to move their operations to NY.  Said he was sure NY could come up with some tax incentives to sweeten the deal. Roll Eyes

IP Logged
MnSpring
Serious Thumper

Younger than most
people my age.

Minn
Reply #13 - 02/28/18 at 07:26:56

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 02/27/18 at 13:48:48:
"... this business is now having their financial success being threatened because they took a political stance that the local politicians don't like.  ..."

Let’s see If I got this right.

The, Ultra Liberal,  Blind in one Eye, hard to see out of the other, ‘ SNOWFLAKE’, Kum-By-You Singing, Ultra-Progressive, ANTIFA  Ideals  Supporting, Fairy Dust Sprinkling people, Stand in the Street Criers, say:

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 02/27/18 at 09:34:02:
 "... Delta did something that the politicians don’t like, so now the politicians are punishing Delta..."
  "... Republicans are trying to coerce Delta to act how they want them to instead of how Delta feels best.
..."
         And
T And T Garage wrote on 02/27/18 at 11:09:25:
"... A POS state senator has such little regard for his job that he goes and threatens a company with taxes?...  can you just imagine if any democrat had even thought about something like that???? ..."

When it comes to a Company, stating their opinion on something.

YET, when another Company, (Say a  Cake Baker),
stating their opinion on something.

It’s  SUE  their A$$’s into the Ground !

Ben Franklin once said: "If you give up a freedom, for the sake of security, you will have neither".
Which is More TRUE, today, than yesterday.('06, S-40, Stock) well, mostly .
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 02/28/18 at 09:06:37

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 02/27/18 at 15:45:12:
verslagen1 wrote on 02/27/18 at 15:20:12:

what?

sure, that's possible, but not necessary

here's how it works, as I've explained like 20 times already.

so the Republicans are retaliating based on Delta's POLITICAL action, nothing else. Republicans are trying to coerce Delta to act how they want them to instead of how Delta feels best.

Lets see who has more clout ($$$$) NRA with 14 million members (at $40 each) or Delta with $41 billion operating revenue... really?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/20/24 at 02:41:15

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Something good from the shooting...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.