Why not this instead? (Read 93 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Why not this instead?
02/21/18 at 08:32:38

The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Is this wrong?
Wouldn't it solve everything?
Shouldn't this be shared with all?

Does separation of church and state come first, however.....
Is that more important than the love of this message?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Why not this instead?
Reply #1 - 02/21/18 at 08:35:41

raydawg wrote on 02/21/18 at 08:32:38:
The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

Is this wrong?

The Golden Rule is the same thing - and non-denominational.

There's a reason church and state are separate.  But hey, if you want to experience the two together, the Middle East is a great place to start.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/21/18 at 09:11:30

Separation of church and state=
The State doesn't have a right to tell us what to believe. There can be no state church, created by the state.
There is no law saying that the state must be hostile to a religious position.
The idea that kids can't pray in school or talk to others about their beliefs in school is a misinterpretation of the law.

The school belongs to the people.
If someone wants to have a Christmas play in the auditorium, there is no law against it. If there is, it's unconstitutional.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #3 - 02/21/18 at 09:24:38

T And T Garage wrote on 02/21/18 at 08:35:41:
raydawg wrote on 02/21/18 at 08:32:38:

Is this wrong?

There's a reason church and state are separate.  But hey, if you want to experience the two together, the Middle East is a great place to start.

Odd, the golden rule says the same thing, and its good.
A church says the same thing, and its corrupt.

However, its a moot point, if it is practiced, the results are the same, love for all, yet.........

Yes, odd, and telling, sad, to deny love, hope, because we don't like the messenger.

I must have missed the part where it says you must be a forced Christian, or Muslim, or Jew, etc, and hold a card to its membership, before you can love.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/21/18 at 09:27:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/21/18 at 09:11:30:
The State doesn't have a right to tell us what to believe. There can be no state church, created by the state.
The idea that kids can't pray in school or talk to others about their beliefs in school is a misinterpretation of the law.

If someone wants to have a Christmas play in the auditorium, there is no law against it. If there is, it's unconstitutional.

no, that's a misinterpretation of what those rulings say.  

of course children can talk to each other about what they believe in any religion, even teachers can discuss what they believe.  

it's when schools/ aka  the government, FORCES students to participate in religious activities that they cross the line, and yes, prayer is a religious activity, but you can have as many moments of silence as you want.

a libertarian like you should get this, people don't want the government using the schools to preach to their kids, do subtly indoctrinate them with "Christmas" plays...  and Christmas has a totally rich secular meaning that can be celebrated as well.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/21/18 at 09:32:24

raydawg wrote on 02/21/18 at 09:24:38:

Odd, the golden rule says the same thing, and its good.
A church says the same thing, and its corrupt.

Says who?  Once again ray, you use hyperbole... I (along with my liberal friends) respect the church, we just don't want it making our laws.

However, its a moot point, if it is practiced, the results are the same, love for all, yet.........

Yes, odd, and telling, sad, to deny love, hope, because we don't like the messenger.

Again, hyperbole (you may want to look that word up).

I must have missed the part where it says you must be a forced Christian, or Muslim, or Jew, etc, and hold a card to its membership, before you can love.

Yeah, because no one ever said that anywhere on this forum - but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 02/21/18 at 09:36:47

You want to buy the world a Coke,.. or a crucifix?... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 02/21/18 at 09:44:14

You and your liberal friends probably don't know what role Christianity played in the creation of the laws.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/21/18 at 10:02:41

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/21/18 at 09:44:14:
You and your liberal friends probably don't know what role Christianity played in the creation of the laws.

no, I'm totally aware of the historical significance of the Christian religion on the founding of our nation. I understand that it was thoroughly ingrained in the culture at the time.  that does not negate the fact that the founding fathers tried to create a secular government. Sure they had prayer before meetings and bibles in congress, they still do, that's not a problem.

but thanks for thinking we're all idiots...

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #9 - 02/21/18 at 10:12:23

Jog, the root to psychology is religion based principals....
Fear has always been a destructive element, that man has struggled with.

Here, this man of history, says it way better, than my ability.......

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”

From FDR’s First Inaugural Address

Franklin D. Roosevelt had campaigned against Herbert Hoover in the 1932 presidential election by saying as little as possible about what he might do if elected.

Through even the closest working relationships, none of the president-elect’s most intimate associates felt they knew him well, with the exception perhaps of his wife, Eleanor.

The affable, witty Roosevelt used his great personal charm to keep most people at a distance. In campaign speeches, he favored a buoyant, optimistic, gently paternal tone spiced with humor.

But his first inaugural address took on an unusually solemn, religious quality. And for good reason—by 1933 the depression had reached its depth. Roosevelt’s first inaugural address outlined in broad terms how he hoped to govern and reminded Americans that the nation’s “common difficulties” concerned “only material things.”

I C&P the above, not my narrative  Wink

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #10 - 02/21/18 at 10:17:30

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 02/21/18 at 10:02:41:

no, I'm totally aware of the historical significance of the Christian religion on the founding of our nation. I understand that it was thoroughly ingrained in the culture at the time.  that does not negate the fact that the founding fathers tried to create a secular government. Sure they had prayer before meetings and bibles in congress, they still do, that's not a problem.

but thanks for thinking we're all idiots...  

C'mon Lost.....

No need to get snarky, isn't returning like, for like, our problem?

Yes, I agree with your assessment about the founding fathers, and how religion impacted it.
They were well aware of how, ANY power, could corrupt, at the hands of man, and installed safeguards.

Once we abridge the freedom to speech, associate, to express, tyranny will quickly follow.
Its that simple.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 02/21/18 at 12:03:15

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 02/21/18 at 09:27:11:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 02/21/18 at 09:11:30:

no, that's a misinterpretation of what those rulings say.  

of course children can talk to each other about what they believe in any religion, even teachers can discuss what they believe.  

it's when schools/ aka  the government, FORCES students to participate in religious activities that they cross the line, and yes, prayer is a religious activity, but you can have as many moments of silence as you want.

a libertarian like you should get this, people don't want the government using the schools to preach to their kids, do subtly indoctrinate them with "Christmas" plays...  and Christmas has a totally rich secular meaning that can be celebrated as well.

I didn't say they should have prayer over the loudspeaker and everyone has to participate.

I was talking about people using the auditorium after hours.

IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/22/18 at 08:36:56

instead of what?

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #13 - 02/22/18 at 09:31:31

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 02/22/18 at 08:36:56:
instead of what?

Oh, I'm sorry.....

Justifying hate, negativity, buzz killing, hypocrisy, etc.....

Ya know, its not that difficult to realize when you hate, for whatever reason, you become hate, yourself.....
The very thing you hate, about others.

I always liked this one, explains a lot about the nature of people.

Sipping the poison, yourself, expecting the other person to die from it, is just plain crazy  Grin

Its funny, at work, very diverse, all kinds of races, cultures, beliefs, no one talks like folks who visit news, and political message boards.
Folks care, sure, but not consumed, or obsessed with it.

Fact is, folks who are, seem to be very depressed and lonely.
People just give them a customary nod, smile, and the person will just walk away thinking the world has gone nuts.

Sorta like the two old guys, sitting at the bar during the day, muttering and complaining into each others beer.....

That ain't life in my book.

You live it, as it comes at you, joy and happiness is a choice of having the right outlook, attitude.
Adversity offers challenge, and opportunity to overcome, reaping the benefits of self worth, and many friendships, in the process.....

Boy, I bet you are sorry you asked  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Have a good day Lost  Smiley  

IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/22/18 at 10:19:26

raydawg wrote on 02/22/18 at 09:31:31:
FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 02/22/18 at 08:36:56:
instead of what?

Oh, I'm sorry.....

Justifying hate, negativity, buzz killing, hypocrisy, etc.....

Ya know, its not that difficult to realize when you hate, for whatever reason, you become hate, yourself.....
The very thing you hate, about others.

I always liked this one, explains a lot about the nature of people.

Sipping the poison, yourself, expecting the other person to die from it, is just plain crazy  Grin

Its funny, at work, very diverse, all kinds of races, cultures, beliefs, no one talks like folks who visit news, and political message boards.
Folks care, sure, but not consumed, or obsessed with it.

Fact is, folks who are, seem to be very depressed and lonely.
People just give them a customary nod, smile, and the person will just walk away thinking the world has gone nuts.

Sorta like the two old guys, sitting at the bar during the day, muttering and complaining into each others beer.....

That ain't life in my book.

You live it, as it comes at you, joy and happiness is a choice of having the right outlook, attitude.
Adversity offers challenge, and opportunity to overcome, reaping the benefits of self worth, and many friendships, in the process.....

Boy, I bet you are sorry you asked  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Have a good day Lost  Smiley  

no, I'm glad I asked and that's an awesome response, people do get too caught up in things sometimes, it can be anything though not just politics, but with politics, no matter how much you know or think you know, you are powerless to change anything... so that leads to an aspect of despair

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 06:26:10

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Why not this instead?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.