Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Not another Valve question thread. (Read 83 times)
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Not another Valve question thread.
02/10/18 at 11:39:34

So I apologize before hand but I'm in a bit of a pickle with this one.  I never did valves before and never saw them done (grew up in a harley family) and I tried it the first time (video one) and had the clearance way off.  Read around and searched this forum and got loads of pointers like bending the feeler and what not.  Did it the second time and found the intakes were way over (.009 and .010) which explains the clatter.  Jump to this morning where I tried again, did it the whole nine yards, removed the plug and put in a screw driver (crank lined up in the same spot i did it before) put it all together and it was a bit loud yet.  I know I had it on the compression stroke both times and I rotated the crank CCW.

My question is, I never had the bike when the valves were in spec. every arm was tight when I went in the first time. Bike has just under 9000 miles from 2002 and I'm assuming that was its first adjustment.  What are the valves supposed to sound like.  They did have a tick back when I first got the bike and I figured that was what they were to sound like but checked the valves to be safe.

The second video is where its at now, all the clearances measured .004 and a .005 wouldnt go in but a .004 was snug.  Checked them all 2-3 times  Is this too loud?  I dont have a reference to compare it to.  If there was a video around I apologize but any video I found on youtube had a loud exhuast and I couldnt hear anything from the valves.

First time (benchmark of error)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRPZ08kCSwA

second time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09T1WYmiclY

Sorry, I cant figure out how to embed them.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Not another Valve question thread.
Reply #1 - 02/10/18 at 12:02:00

Where do you live?

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 02/10/18 at 12:20:25

Sorry, Dallas.  I was thinking about going to a dealer but I havent gotten that far into the problem solving yet.  by all counts the valves should be in the right place but that noise is a bit much I feel.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #3 - 02/10/18 at 12:39:41

Could be a number of things. If the bike has been run with the oil level too low, that can cause enough rocker arm wear that the rocker will thingy while adjusting one valve and throw off your measurement. The same if the oil was of the little or no zinc variety, but that takes longer to wear that much. If the bearing journals in the head are worn that will affect your measurement also. But given the mileage yours has, I am leaning more towards just a error when adjusting the valves, eg. something slipped and you didn't notice it.

IP Logged
Fast 650

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Valrico, FL
Reply #4 - 02/10/18 at 12:42:00

Freaking word filter.... "thingy" was the four letter word beginning with "c" that means "it tilted to one side" or another word for a rooster... Undecided

IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/10/18 at 12:57:44

Im just hoping its a small error but it was more so that I never got to hear the bike with the valves right.  From the start they were tight but who knows what the owners before me did.

IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #6 - 02/10/18 at 13:22:33

The Motion Pro feeler gauge makes life much easier, buy two.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/282350256043

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 02/10/18 at 13:44:54

Make sure your rotating the motor to TDC in the right direction ,the motor turns the same direction as the wheels . If your following the Clymer book it's wrong !

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 02/10/18 at 13:47:20

Yeah, I went over the write up verslagen1 did about 6 times.  CCW, each time, never rotated it backwards if I missed it.  Stopped the crank on the mark right after the intake valves closed.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 02/10/18 at 13:56:12

You might try checking the decompression solenoid adjustment ,if the cable is too tight the rocker arm could be hitting it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #10 - 02/10/18 at 13:59:47

This has been the subject of my friend and I as of late.  Between us we own 4 of them.  Three of them we have done the valves and it is a major improvement on the two we have ridden both in sound and performance.  The thing we have discussed is that ALL of them were extremely tight when we went in.  They must come that way from the factory is what we are determining.  EPA maybe?  We know that at least two of them were done by us the first time because of the mileage they had on them when we bought bike.  On ALL of them we had to backoff the adjuster to even be able to get any feeler gauges in.

IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 02/10/18 at 14:26:45

Johnny57 wrote on 02/10/18 at 13:59:47:
This has been the subject of my friend and I as of late.  Between us we own 4 of them.  Three of them we have done the valves and it is a major improvement on the two we have ridden both in sound and performance.  The thing we have discussed is that ALL of them were extremely tight when we went in.  They must come that way from the factory is what we are determining.  EPA maybe?  We know that at least two of them were done by us the first time because of the mileage they had on them when we bought bike.  On ALL of them we had to backoff the adjuster to even be able to get any feeler gauges in.

Perfect, it's the things like this that have really been racking my brain.  With how it sounds after the second adjustment doesnt sound like its going to explode but it also isnt like it was when i took it apart.  This thread was more so looking for a confirmation that the sound in the second video is infact too loud.  Because it's kind of hard if youve never for sure heard the right valve tick.

Just reading things like this helps me to realize that I wasnt as far off the mark.  If everyone said "mine were hella loose" then Id be worried if mine were tight.

IP Logged
Johnny57

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Minneapolis
Reply #12 - 02/10/18 at 14:34:37

I think your second video sounds about right.  Two of the bikes that were ridden were set at .004 all the way around.  The third is at .005 tuned but not yet ridden.  I am mechanically inclined but my friend is a very experienced diesel mechanic.  I think you will be just fine.

IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 02/10/18 at 19:40:05

:'(Johnny57 wrote on 02/10/18 at 14:34:37:
I think your second video sounds about right.  Two of the bikes that were ridden were set at .004 all the way around.  The third is at .005 tuned but not yet ridden.  I am mechanically inclined but my friend is a very experienced diesel mechanic.  I think you will be just fine.

Thanks for the response, you're basically my angel. If you're ever in Dallas you have a beer waiting for you. It doesn't sound bad at all, just didn't sound like it did. Dad was a diesel mechanic and he just said that loose valves are happy valves. Said the sound didn't seem out of the ordinary so here's to hoping.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:34:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Not another Valve question thread.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.