Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Re: Things every savage newb should know... (Read 279 times)
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Things every savage newb should know...
02/02/18 at 10:14:40

Help! I just bought a 2002 Savage from a farmer that had been keeping it in the mud in his shed. He said he rode it to work for the last little while and that it ran. It has 8000 miles on it, and he only changed the oil once. I brought it home in the back of a truck and tried starting it up, and a biker much wiser than me told me the battery was dead. I jumped it and charged it and it ran. so I took it for a two mile cruise, but now it won't start and has gas coming out the exhaust pipe. Any ideas on where to start for repairs? I don't know anything when it comes to this, but I am down to learn.  Thank you in advance!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #1 - 02/02/18 at 10:28:09

NewbCycle wrote on 02/02/18 at 10:14:40:
so I took it for a two mile cruise, but now it won't start and has gas coming out the exhaust pipe. Any ideas on where to start for repairs? I don't know anything when it comes to this, but I am down to learn.  Thank you in advance!

Change the oil, clean the carb, put in a raptor petcock for a start.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 02/02/18 at 18:39:10

Dump the oil into a clean container and run a magnet through it.
Long term sitting lets oil drip out of the rings and cylinder. Running it without oiling it can crash it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 02/05/18 at 08:33:10

You guys are gonna think I am the dumbest being in existence, but while I was getting my carb out to attempt a cleaning. I saw what appeared to be a screw that I though I could remove to further disassemble the carb. It wouldn't budge, so I figured I would drill into it a bit, insert a screwhead and get it out. I drilled into it a bit and attempted, but then I finally figured it was not supposed to budge. Is there anyway I can fill the screw with a compound? Should I not worry about it? I didn't go that far in, but still. Here is an image of where exactly I am talking about.

807b8781ca79595a0b8a8a74bc5dde4da5990baf_LI_2.jpg
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 02/05/18 at 08:42:14

The part you circled is the mount for the plate that holds the outer part of the throttle cable....it is a threaded hole.

Are you sure you aren't interested in the other side of the carb?  There is a small brass plug with a tiny hole in it - that blocks your access to the idle fuel screw.

Here is a link on instructions for removing the brass plug.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1221818822/0#0

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 02/05/18 at 12:28:56

Good to know that now. So I was just going at the wrong side of another screw? I don't really want/know how to adjust the carb like that, I just wanted to get it apart to clean it haha So structurally, I don't have to worry about that screw?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 02/05/18 at 12:32:50

Can you send us a picture of the actual screw your are talking about?

IP Logged
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 02/07/18 at 07:04:41

Sorry it took so long to get these! Here's a folder of them https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=11zSgB-0nUJSgWsp93ovmTH7_VQKixA6Z I was also wondering if I can use something like Gasket maker by Permatex that is Gas resistant when I put the carb back together, rather than get a new gasket? Could I just supplement the existing carb gasket with it?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 02/07/18 at 09:18:52

That screw holds the plate on that holds the throttle cable - your really don't have to take it off.

Generally the float bowl gasket is re-usable - did yours tear?

IP Logged
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 02/16/18 at 13:33:44

Finally got some time with the bike. The gasket looks good on the carb, I just hope I put it back together right... I finally got the oil plug out, and HOLY CRAP, it was full of gas. Now I am looking for a large o-ring to replace the one near the oil filter (It was all dry and flaking) Any hope for finding the o-ring at Home depot or Autozone? I also discovered there was a large amount of oil in the airbox, how do I get it off to clean it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 02/16/18 at 13:54:14

NewbCycle wrote on 02/16/18 at 13:33:44:
I also discovered there was a large amount of oil in the airbox, how do I get it off to clean it? Any help is greatly appreciated!

As long as you drain it, residue is fine.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 02/16/18 at 16:22:48

there's a drain tube on the bottom of the air box ,with a plug in the end ,drain and be sure to replace the plug,otherwise unfilterd air will bypass the filter and go into the motor and could cause damage over time.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
NewbCycle
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 02/19/18 at 06:26:05

So, here is where I am at, I put the carb back in and didn't clamp it down to the engine or airbox rubbers. The bike started for a bit and backfired hard. So I figured it was running lean. I clamped everything together and tried starting it, but nothing. It turns over but won't run. When using starter fluid, I will get a pop like it's trying to start, but nothing more. Any ideas?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 02/19/18 at 08:02:30

It takes three things to run ,spark, fuel ,and compression .you have compression, and spark, that leaves............... Did you inspect and clean the carb, have you changed to a Rapter petcock, have you checked to see if the air filter is fuel soaked , have you looked at the sparkplug? It takes time and effort to affect change ,when you have the sparkplug out adding a bit of oil into the cylinder will prevent damage to the rings and walls ,and help build compression. you have no lubrication until the bike runs.When you try to start the bike make sure the battery is fully charged ,if the voltage drops below 10 volts when the starter is running you'll have no spark.Don't run the starter more than about 10-15 seconds if it doesn't start by then it's not going to ,and you need to let the starter cool for 15-20 min before trying again or you will ruin it.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 02/19/18 at 10:04:12

Low battery voltage is a common failure to start problem.

If you're still using the stock Petcock you need to put it on Prime to fill the bowl.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 00:45:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Re: Things every savage newb should know...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.