Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Honda CB500F - Anyone had any experience with it? (Read 314 times)
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Honda CB500F - Anyone had any experience with
Reply #15 - 01/31/18 at 17:57:19

I agree with MMRanch, looking at those two videos that zipidachimp listed, it seems to me that the '94 can definitely do the job.  That guy knows how to ride it.  

Commenting on the original post I do like that bike.  I was interested in one and looked it over at a dealer's show room.  I would want to move the pegs forward and probably down a little and would want a roomier seat and didn't see an easy way to do it so I had to pass on that one.  It seems like a great bike if it fits you.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #16 - 02/01/18 at 05:51:55

zipidachimp wrote on 01/31/18 at 14:49:13:

I love riding, but no thanks to both of these videos.  I also love to live!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #17 - 02/01/18 at 05:56:37

I am heading out right now to travel to a dealer in NC which has 3 of them, 1 used and 2 new.  I will be trading in or selling my S40 as I can't afford owning 2 bikes.  It runs great, and is like new in every way, but I don't like the seating position, rake, or having just a single cylinder!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #18 - 02/01/18 at 06:14:01

Happiness is relative .......   I would have never thought I would sit more comfortably on a bike I that I had to grab my pants leg up with my hand to hike my leg over it -- I never would have considered such a bike in the past.

Yet, in truth I hike my leg up manually each time and am actually more content on a bigger bike than the Savage.

Happiness is relative ......

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #19 - 02/01/18 at 06:31:25

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 02/01/18 at 06:14:01:
Happiness is relative .......   I would have never thought I would sit more comfortably on a bike I that I had to grab my pants leg up with my hand to hike my leg over it -- I never would have considered such a bike in the past.

Yet, in truth I hike my leg up manually each time and am actually more content on a bigger bike than the Savage.

Happiness is relative ......

When I test rode the Honda 500 Rebel about 4 months ago, I HATED it.  In about 4 miles, my back and legs were killing me!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #20 - 02/01/18 at 07:57:21

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 02/01/18 at 05:56:37:
I am heading out right now to travel to a dealer in NC which has 3 of them, 1 used and 2 new.  I will be trading in or selling my S40 as I can't afford owning 2 bikes.  It runs great, and is like new in every way, but I don't like the seating position, rake, or having just a single cylinder!

Yeah, I'm not a fan of riding in the birthing position either. Looking forward to your ride report on the new CB.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #21 - 02/01/18 at 08:41:21

I am quite happy with the S40... except for the forward mounts. I hate them, but I just don't have the skills to craft my own mid mounts. So I will sell the S40 this coming Spring and keep the Harley Sportster, the opposite to what MMranch will do!

I will buy a second bike, but I don't know what yet. The CB500F sounds interesting, but I am limited by my small stature: 5' 3", 27" inseam!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 02/01/18 at 09:11:02

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 02/01/18 at 07:57:21:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of riding in the birthing position either.
-------------------------------------------------------

Ha, ha... Not for me either.

IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 02/01/18 at 09:51:10

piedmontbuckeye:  I hope you continue to frequent this forum after you sell your S40 and I for one would like to hear of your experiences with the new bike. Good luck on your trip, this time of year you should be able to get a pretty good deal on a new bike.

2005 S40, Intruder shocks, Dyna, 52.5/150, 3 washers, 2 turns, modified seat, Raptor
  IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Reply #24 - 02/01/18 at 15:31:34

piedmontbuckeye , if ya out and about and just happen to see a S-40/Savage then come over and say HI !  ....

Or if ya see a Silver V-7II Guzzi w/mag wheels , come over and say Howdy !  

We Savage fellers get to SC. at least once a summer , sometimes more !  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #25 - 02/04/18 at 09:36:22

The kawa Vulcan S or SE may bare looking at ,it even has Ergo Fit  to be able to be adjusted to different size riders.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #26 - 02/25/18 at 07:48:33

engineer wrote on 02/01/18 at 09:51:10:
piedmontbuckeye:  I hope you continue to frequent this forum after you sell your S40 and I for one would like to hear of your experiences with the new bike.

It has been quite a few weeks now, and I finally have some things to report.

I in fact did sell my Savage.  First guy to look at it, bought it.  It was definitely in very good condition and the mechanics were perfect!

I then did some more research on the CB500F and in all my looking, the ONLY complaint (if one could call it that) was the when one was on the freeway, and wanted to go faster, the "roll on" response wasn't as quick as he had expected.

Having seen the plethora of outstanding reviews, I ordered a 2017 CB500F (all that year are bright red - what I wanted anyway).  It arrived last Thursday. I picked it up and trailered it home, and then went out for a 60 mile ride.  It was wonderful.

On Friday, I took my favorite, through the mountains, ride, approximately 100 miles, and it proved even better than my wildest dreams.  Powerful, very nimble, and predictably controllable.  It may be the best out-of-the-box motorcycle I have ever ridden.  Shifting is effortless, the dash read-out includes:  MPH, Miles gone, gas gage, with gallons used since last set, and gallons to go since last set, tachometer, gas consumption, and a few others like a clock.

Gasoline usage is in the 70's and it has a 4.4 gallon tank.   Something I have missed.

Suspension is very good, maybe even great.  Tires are Dunlops, and stick to the road very well.  

Seating position is also good.  I will be putting handlebar risers on to raise them an inch.

Other than that, NO complaints.  I am looking forward to the upcoming riding season!!

I will also drop by from time to time to check on all of you.  

To all of you I also want to thank you.  I have appreciated the many pieces of advice and taken into account the several criticisms I have gotten in the last year.  You are a great bunch of people!!

If you would ever need/want to contact me, please email me at jimmylee3491@gmail.com.

I would like to hear from you from time to time, too.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #27 - 02/25/18 at 10:02:41

Sounds like a really nice bike. Enjoy, stop by, brag a little,,
You gonna put bags on it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
engineer
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 02/25/18 at 10:21:30

Great review!  Thanks for the update.  I've also heard good things about that bike.  Please stop in again and keep us informed. Have fun on that Honda!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #29 - 02/25/18 at 11:04:27

No bags except maybe cheapies from TSC store that are leather and you just throw over the seat.  Work well enough for me and CHEAP!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 16:33:46

General CategoryThe Cafe › Honda CB500F - Anyone had any experience with it?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.