Making a bobber (Read 218 times)
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Making a bobber
01/27/18 at 14:16:12

I am going bobber style and I have a couple of questions.

Mods are:
- Drag handlebar
- Solo spring seat
- Slim rear fender
- Dyna muffler
- Mini turn signals

I am aiming for something like the one attached.

The rear tyre is a 140/90. I plan to fit a tight fender at 140-180 degrees around the wheel.
Will this fit or is it too tight?
https://chop-it.de/en/custom-fender/steel-fender-long/round-motorcycle-fender...

What is the smartest way to attach the struts, holding the top and rear end of the fender, to the fender?
And how many pair of struts, 1 or 2?

Which handlebar width and angle will make the most comfortable ride?
How about this one?
https://chop-it.de/en/handlebars-grips/handlebars-riser/fehling-drag-bar-hand...

The angled parts are app. 27.5 cm long.
And the angle must be about 25 degrees, if my trigonometry serves me well.

Anyone have an idea where those turn signals come from?

341a3b40c3dde011c30c6e074a713827.jpg
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Making a bobber
Reply #1 - 01/27/18 at 14:33:37

Those are EU websites, so there not going to be many that can answer.
The biggest tire we can use is 26" in diameter, they say 15 & 16" but what tire?  That's a question to ask the vendor.
As far as the handle bar, that vary from rider to rider.
Best to find a shop that has a bunch on the rack and try them out.

And if you can, rescale the pics to 640x480 or 800x600 for viewing.

WWW   IP Logged
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #2 - 01/27/18 at 15:13:35

I can read US websites, I guess you can read EU websites as well Grin
What has region to do with anything?

A 140/90 tyre on a 15" rim will have a diameter around 63 cm. The fender in the link is 65 cm.
The vendor says ok, but I think its very tight. Is it?
Another candidate is this, D=68 cm, which might fit better.
https://chop-it.de/en/custom-fender/steel-fender-long/round-150-mm-width-moto...

There arent many vendors of motorcycle parts in my area, so theres no place I can check handlebars. Therefore the question.

I cant find any turn signals looking like the ones on the bike. Maybe someone here know where to find them or some equal.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 01/28/18 at 13:35:05

When it comes to the bars ,you should get them as wide as you can to have more control ,and the extra leverage uses less muscle input.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #4 - 01/28/18 at 15:16:58

batman wrote on 01/28/18 at 13:35:05:
When it comes to the bars ,you should get them as wide as you can to have more control ,and the extra leverage uses less muscle input.

Thank you batman.
Is 92 cm to be considered wide?
I'm only 171 cm tall and I guess a handlebar too wide would look like a horisontal ape hanger  Cheesy

Do you have any input on how to calculate the diameter and width of the rear fender?
How much clearance is minimum? 1cm, 2cm...
For at 140/90 a width of 150 cm will do. Outside width that is.
I plan purchasing Maxxis 6103 on the rear.

Cheers

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #5 - 01/28/18 at 16:31:53

This may sound odd, but Amazon has bullet turn signals, Superbike bars,  and may be available in Europe. The superbike bars 1", will look better and work better for a bobber. Amazon will probably have a lot of have stuff from european suppliers. If you don't mind paying freight, Dime City has all of the above. Cheers! Cool   OR: E-bay!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 01/28/18 at 19:36:01

Northwood ,I believe a bar of 66-76 cm would be suitable .If you mount the fender to the front cross section of the swingarm with an L-shaped bracket and the rear with struts from the fender to the swingarm just above the rear axle,you can set whatever tire to fender clearance you choose. (maybe 1-1.5 cm) If the fender is made for a 15-16' tire it should be fine in dia.  as for width ,it must fit between ,but  stand off the shocks to allow  their movement .( shock to shock -1cm would be as wide as you can use). one brace should work if you don't carry anything (weight ), if you plan on bags you could make the brace Y -shaped connecting it two places on the fender an one near the axle, or make them of thicker metal.

IP Logged
SoC
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New Jersey
Reply #7 - 01/28/18 at 22:06:05

Northwood, the exhaust in the picture looks similar to a VooDoo, just got started on install of one on my build. As it is mounted in your photo it looks to be hanging on the header alone with no other attachment. I'm trying to figure a more down turned fit now with additional support. See the "Looking for a savage donor" thread for picture.

IP Logged
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #8 - 01/29/18 at 05:20:43

@batman.
I hear you on the width of the bar. I will look for 70-80 cm, 66 cm might be too narrow.
You confirm that Im on the right track. An L-bracket on the swingarm is what I had in mind, thank you.
Your advice about the clearance is good, I'll go with the fender in the link.
Will it be rigid enough to attatch the struts to the edge of the fender by welding?

@SoC.
I found a secondhand Dyna Shorty in Germany. It should be here today or tomorrow. I dont like to make too much noise. Its not fair to other people.

@zipidachimp.
If you look closely, its not the typical bullet turn signals, Its more like a stick with a bulb in the end.
Very minimalistic.
Maybe I can design some myself.

Thank you for your inputs.

Cheers,

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #9 - 01/29/18 at 07:36:03

NW, I think your decision for the bar width is fine. I would not weld the fender struts ,the fender sees a lot of vibration and I think the welds would crack and fail ,It would be better to follow the  standard way ,and bolt them on . What would you do if a weld broke on the road? If a bolt was lost it could be replaced with a plastic wire tie  for a temporary fix, or you could carry a spare in a tool kit.

IP Logged
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #10 - 01/29/18 at 11:34:43

batman wrote on 01/29/18 at 07:36:03:
NW, I think your decision for the bar width is fine. I would not weld the fender struts ,the fender sees a lot of vibration and I think the welds would crack and fail ,It would be better to follow the  standard way ,and bolt them on . What would you do if a weld broke on the road? If a bolt was lost it could be replaced with a plastic wire tie  for a temporary fix, or you could carry a spare in a tool kit.

I see where you are going. But it has to be attached on the outside of the fender as theres no room enough on the inside.
I will be harder to make it look good. A TIG weld would look so smooth Smiley
I havent decided on the shape of the struts. Flat, round, rectangular, prism, hex etc.

I have made up my mind about the turn signals. I will do my own design inspired by the ones on the photo. I like the minimalistic approach.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 01/29/18 at 12:02:56

I havent decided on the shape of the struts. Flat, round, rectangular, prism, h

Think about how you will clean it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #12 - 01/29/18 at 13:52:34

NW, I've only seen struts attached to the outside of the fender, but I can understand you wanting a cleaner look . But with the ends inside the fender and the weld fails it may have sharp edges ,if it falls toward the tire could it damage it ? would you notice it at speed? The struts will be easier to make if you use flat stock ,you must remember that you'll have to make bends at the fender and to allow room for drive belt/guard to be able to move . round stock flattened at the ends would also serve ,or anything you might like ,it's up to you.

« Last Edit: 01/29/18 at 15:00:18 by batman »  

IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #13 - 01/29/18 at 15:42:45

'' I like the minimalistic approach.''

Thou they might look good to you, if the little old lady, or teen on the phone can't see them YOU CAN DIE!

Ride like everyone else on the road are trying to kill you.

IP Logged
Northwood
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denmark
Reply #14 - 01/30/18 at 03:36:41

badwolf wrote on 01/29/18 at 15:42:45:
'' I like the minimalistic approach.''

Thou they might look good to you, if the little old lady, or teen on the phone can't see them YOU CAN DIE!

Ride like everyone else on the road are trying to kill you.

I always take the approach of being a dear in the hunting season when I drive.
As far I can tell, the signal on the bike is designed around a BA9s socket. I will go for a BA15s socket instead. The bulb will be bigger and more visible.

@Justin.
You got a point! Cheesy

@batman.
You are right that a broken weld could course havoc to the tire. But that risc can be minimized by design.
The bike is disassembled at the moment and the frame is waiting to get powder coated.
The left side drive belt issue has to be addressed as you suggest.

Thank you Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 21:32:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Making a bobber

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.