Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Net Neutrality Explained - Genius!! (Read 314 times)
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Net Neutrality Explained - Genius!!
01/24/18 at 13:19:28

I'm gonna get me some BK tonight!
Well done King!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Net Neutrality Explained - Genius!!
Reply #1 - 01/24/18 at 13:44:34

poor analogy.
why would any company offer their product at various speeds?
Oh, wait... cable and modem speeds.

net neut is more like calling Uber to deliver pizza from either papa johns, dominos, or pizza hut.
You want papa john's but if you order from pizza hut you get it in 10 mins vs 30 mins from the others.

WWW   IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 01/24/18 at 13:55:35

verslagen1 wrote on 01/24/18 at 13:44:34:
poor analogy.
why would any company offer their product at various speeds?
Oh, wait... cable and modem speeds.

net neut is more like calling Uber to deliver pizza from either papa johns, dominos, or pizza hut.
You want papa john's but if you order from pizza hut you get it in 10 mins vs 30 mins from the others.

More like, a company that offered several menu items (youtube, netflix, hulu, vimeo, etc.) would offer some at a premium - if they didn't own it, or some at a base cost, if they didn't own it.

Think about it - if your comcast delivery had its way, why wouldn't they throttle sites they weren't making as much profit off of.  Like in the video, they can make more off of chicken sandwiches than whoppers.

Perfect analogy.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 01/24/18 at 13:57:38

Perfect... Grin Grin Grin

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #4 - 01/24/18 at 14:13:49

I’ve had it with, and without, and I see can’t tell you personally, the difference I’ve been able to discern.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 01/24/18 at 14:23:42

Think about it - if your comcast delivery had its way, why wouldn't they throttle sites they weren't making as much profit off of..

The service Provider is offering a service to a consumer. The CONSUMER is paying the provider. If I NEED or WANT a package delivered, I PAY a delivery service to Get it Here. They don't decide to drag their feet based on what they get from the manufacturer or shipper.

I know, you got NOTHING.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/24/18 at 14:31:13

raydawg wrote on 01/24/18 at 14:13:49:
I’ve had it with, and without, and I see can’t tell you personally, the difference I’ve been able to discern.

no, you actually haven't experienced the internet without Net Neutrality,

you've just experienced it with and without it written down as a regulation.

the default of ISPs has been Net Neutrality as that is "in the spirit" of the internet as it was founded

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 01/24/18 at 14:33:01

So the law was unnecessary and eliminating it is meaningless?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 01/24/18 at 14:33:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/24/18 at 14:23:42:
Think about it - if your comcast delivery had its way, why wouldn't they throttle sites they weren't making as much profit off of..

The service Provider is offering a service to a consumer. The CONSUMER is paying the provider. If I NEED or WANT a package delivered, I PAY a delivery service to Get it Here. They don't decide to drag their feet based on what they get from the manufacturer or shipper.

I know, you got NOTHING.

Talking points or logic?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 01/24/18 at 14:42:22

raydawg wrote on 01/24/18 at 14:13:49:

First off.. what is that, Yoda speak?  Grin

Secondly, you haven't really had it without - yet.

Congress is very close to pulling it back and rejecting what pai tried to pull.

That being said, if NN were to be completely revoked, you actually might not see a change - depending on the sites you went to or if you host a site or run a business with a server farm, etc.  However, as time goes by, without NN, you will indeed see a difference.  A difference in pricing, speed throttling (not just because of what you pay, but the actual content or device), and if applicable, hosting changes.

Like I've said from the start, if the big ISPs are in love with it, chances are it's not good for the consumer.

IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/24/18 at 14:42:24

I know, you got NOTHING.

well they did, then they were sued, which is what started this whole thing with getting it written down as a regulation.  they've even denied service to internet services like Bit Torrent.

https://techcrunch.com/2009/12/22/comcast-settles-bandwidth-throttling-lawsui...

https://www.wired.com/2007/11/comcast-sued-ov/

and so has Verizon https://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netfli...

"They don't decide to drag their feet based on what they get from the manufacturer or shipper."  

and judging from the articles above, they actually have in the past, to put pressure on that "manufacturer or shipper" to pay them to make that "manufacturer or shipper's" customers put pressure on them or drop them completely for their OWN alternative product.

all that lead to the FCC doing that whole title 2 thing.

now in an ideal world, competition would be the answer, and laws and regulations or even deregulations in the right areas maybe,  encouraging competition and growth would be the better answer, but our telecomm industry has been based on monopolies since they started with Ma' Bell

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 01/24/18 at 14:45:16

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 01/24/18 at 14:42:24:

I know, you got NOTHING.

well they did, then they were sued, which is what started this whole thing with getting it written down as a regulation.  they've even denied service to internet services like Bit Torrent.

https://techcrunch.com/2009/12/22/comcast-settles-bandwidth-throttling-lawsui...

https://www.wired.com/2007/11/comcast-sued-ov/

and so has Verizon https://www.extremetech.com/computing/186576-verizon-caught-throttling-netfli...

"They don't decide to drag their feet based on what they get from the manufacturer or shipper."  

and judging from the articles above, they actually have in the past, to put pressure on that "manufacturer or shipper" to pay them to make that "manufacturer or shipper's" customers put pressure on them or drop them completely for their OWN alternative product.

all that lead to the FCC doing that whole title 2 thing.

now in an ideal world, competition would be the answer, and laws and regulations or even deregulations in the right areas maybe,  encouraging competition and growth would be the better answer, but our telecomm industry has been based on monopolies since they started with Ma' Bell

Well put!
(Punctuation and spelling aside)  Wink

IP Logged
FormerlyLostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 01/24/18 at 14:46:54

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/24/18 at 14:33:01:

maybe, but having the law ensured at least a basic understanding of expectations for ISP behavior, without it, well, capitalism rules and dog eat dog. There's no fair playing field for competition.  and the law was a very very light touch on the ISP industry,

now there are things that the FCC could do that'd be better, instead of burying their collective heads in the sand and letting the invisible hand of the market sort it out, things that'd increase competition and growth. like open up some bandwidths for use by WiFi networks, and finding ways to encourage competition

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 01/24/18 at 14:51:34

FormerlyLostArtist wrote on 01/24/18 at 14:46:54:
justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/24/18 at 14:33:01:

maybe, but having the law ensured at least a basic understanding of expectations for ISP behavior, without it, well, capitalism rules and dog eat dog. There's no fair playing field for competition.  and the law was a very very light touch on the ISP industry,

now there are things that the FCC could do that'd be better, instead of burying their collective heads in the sand and letting the invisible hand of the market sort it out, things that'd increase competition and growth. like open up some bandwidths for use by WiFi networks, and finding ways to encourage competition

+1

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 01/24/18 at 15:45:37

Gotta admit appreciation for the perspectives I'm seeing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 12:22:18

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Net Neutrality Explained - Genius!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.