Send Topic Print
How low should I go? (Read 190 times)
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
How low should I go?
01/13/18 at 12:13:55

I’m looking to get my first bike and I’m leaning heavily towards the Savage. I was supposed to be taking the BRC with my wife right now but the instructor delayed it (for the second time, but at least he told us before we got there this time) because Arkansans are weak and scared of the cold.

Anyway, I’ve been shopping what’s available online within a reasonable distance for a while, and have seen a range from the $450 bike in pieces but “I swear it runs, you just have to put it back together.” To the $5000 “I don’t understand that new bikes depreciate significantly as soon as they leave the lot”. I’m fairly mechanically inclined (do most of my own automotive work, have torn apart and reassembled chainsaws, gas-powered jackhammers, sheet metal machinery, am a welder by trade with some fab skills, currently working in Zoo maintenance).

I’m willing to go up to 3k-ish for the right bike (and am paying attention to LANCER’s bike in the marketplace as it’s on the way to the in-law’s House, well upgraded and likely well maintained), but I’d like to keep it lower. It’ is my first bike after all, and I don’t want to cry if I drop it. At the same time, I do want to actually ride it and not be stuck in a never-ending troubleshoot. I’m wondering what I’ll be regretting if I go cheapo on a fixer-upper, what I should look for/ be concerned about vs what I can probably fix without too much expense/difficulty. I know the exact answer is a personal balance and each bike is different, but any feedback would be appreciated!

Still looking...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: How low should I go?
Reply #1 - 01/13/18 at 12:21:44

Get Lancers bike. DON'T drop it!

Seriously, even if you bounce it, you'll be able to fix that easy enough.
But Lancers stuff isn't
Likely to be maintained.
It Just Is.
Ask him about the mods.
Arkansas is so full of great roads.
Welcome to the board.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 01/13/18 at 14:39:10

My guess is you want to ride, not wrench. You should be able to find a low mileage bike in great shape for $2,000 to $2,500. Especially this time of year. Spend the remaining $500 of your budget on a helmet, jacket, over ankle boots and gloves.

Justin is right, Lancer's bike is a good get if you can make the drive. Bonus, you get to meet Lancer.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 01/13/18 at 14:47:24

An unmodified, unknown maintenance, bike
Versus a Lancer owned bike.
I'd bet he has mods done that would cost you hundreds and lots of time. The carb is jetted and it's a completely sorted out and debugged bike.
Ask him about the mods on it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 01/13/18 at 17:32:26

I would just get Lancers bike , screw the budget. His bike is a no brainier , get on it and ride. Honest guy ,great bike with the goodies,ain't much to think about.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Bobber

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 01/13/18 at 17:50:55

If you like to wrench and customize get a stock driver and go on from there.  I've had nothing but fun with the mods but
 still drove it everyday, (well almost)

IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #6 - 01/14/18 at 20:40:07

Yeah, y'all are probably right. I'm just prone to hesitation with big purchases. I also kind of romanticize wrenching something back to life/fixing it up myself. In practice, one larger purchase for higher quality makes more sense. It also will only involve bickering with the wife about one purchase as opposed to every time I want to upgrade something. Now to find out if LANCER's bike is even still available...

Still looking...
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 01/15/18 at 00:58:31

ArkansasBrian wrote on 01/14/18 at 20:40:07:
... It also will only involve bickering with the wife about one purchase as opposed to every time I want to upgrade something...

I wouldn't count on that mate! I seem to be able to find endless things to mod (spend money on) when it comes to the bike  Grin Grin

But, ya know what? ... it's a good honest hobby  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 01/15/18 at 03:24:19

I don't know about the market in the Little Rock area - or how far you are willing to travel to look.

When I was shopping around, I found a lot of bikes in the $1,500 - $2.000 range in the Cincinnati area.  Unfortunately a lot of these bikes sat outside, in carports, or right next to the garage door.  The bikes had more corrosion than I though I could live with (spokes, chrome around footpegs, clearcoat over aluminum, rust on backside of tool cover and lower side panels).

I  ended up traveling to NJ to buy a 5 year old model (2007 bought in 2012) for $2,400.  The bike was stored in a heated basement and only had 262 miles on it - the owner was dating a biker and stopped riding after they broke up.  It was a 3 day/2 night adventure to go pick it up, and obviously that added somewhat to the overall cost - but I got a great bike that was like new.

If you like clean......you should shop around until you find one that is in good shape, as it is very difficult and expensive to correct corrosion.  If you are going to store the bike outside and not worry too much about how clean and shiny it is - then find one that is mechanically sound.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #9 - 01/15/18 at 06:58:49

I should mention that my wife is truly wonderful and generally supportive. She's even taking the BRC with me whenever the instructor decides it's  warm enough to have the class. She just has safety concerns and would rather spend the money on plane tickets or new flooring. Also, light bickering qualifies as recreation when you run out of other things to talk about.

I'm honestly not that concerned about looks. As it will be my first bike, a bit of a beater would ease concerns about learning scratches. The Little Rock market has bikes in the $1500-2k range, mostly either 250's or bikes that are larger than I want right now. As for Savages, there's a $400 abandoned project bike and a $1,200 little old lady selling a bike that "Needs a little love n care. Runs, needs handle bars tightened, blinkers,front foot pegs,  " I've asked for more details.

Right now I'm leaning towards LANCER's if it available or  an '09 with 5kish miles at a dealership in Stillwater, OK for $1800. I'll be asking them for details as well. I can see from the pics that the pipes have been replaced, but their website only provides the stock info from Suzuki so I don't know about any other mods.

I'm willing to travel a bit, but direction matters. The wife's family is in Norman, OK (just south of OKC) so bikes in that direction can be rolled into a visit with them.

Still looking...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 01/15/18 at 07:27:20

I'm located in Henryetta Oklahoma, so if you are heading to Norman you go right through Henryetta when traveling I-40.  We are just 8 miles SE of town.
Yes, I still have the bike.
Send me a PM and we can talk about it.

IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #11 - 01/15/18 at 07:33:31

I'm new here. The system won't let me send PM's until I make three more posts Sad

Still looking...
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 01/15/18 at 07:39:05

ArkansasBrian wrote on 01/15/18 at 07:33:31:
I'm new here. The system won't let me send PM's until I make three more posts Sad

I sent you a PM

IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #13 - 01/15/18 at 07:56:34

Yeah, I got the PM and it still won't let me respond. On the plus side, I now only need two more posts!

Still looking...
  IP Logged
ArkansasBrian

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Little Rock, AR
Reply #14 - 01/15/18 at 07:57:41

I'm not sure if be it's an automatic trigger or if the moderators actually review things to prevent posting for the sake of pm access.

Still looking...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 19:47:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How low should I go?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.