Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heat shrink crimpless connectors?? (Read 91 times)
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Heat shrink crimpless connectors??
12/04/17 at 07:44:07

Anybody have any experience with crimpless connectors?  They are sleeve that heat shrinks and solders with heat.  The solder is a low melt and there is also a hot melt glue on either end of the sleeve to seal and get a better grip on the insulation.  They seem too good to be true.  Anybody ever try them?

I ordered 25 to test for coming wire harness mods.  I figure I'll make a few and test for conductivity and tensile strength.  Specs say the solder fully melts at about 300 F and you can operate to 260 F which is probably way hotter than the insulation spec on the stock wiring.  Any other suggestions on testing?  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Heat shrink crimpless connectors??
Reply #1 - 12/04/17 at 08:59:19

Great idea for the technicians. That's gonna require the same prep work as a solder joint, only you can't twist them together.
How do you flux the wire without accidentally lubricating the sticky stuff?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ruckus430

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 12/04/17 at 09:51:58

I used something similar to fix a splicing on wires that were used to arm bombs on f-16's while I was working in Japan, I just used a heat gun and the middle part melts and the tubing shrinks and it becomes one solid piece. If it works for an aircraft it should be fine for a motorcycle lol

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 12/04/17 at 21:28:24

I twist and solder ,tape and then cover all with liquid rubber ,you can find it in Lowes /home depot  ,comes in a container like PVC cement ,with a brush  in the lid . also great for sealing the back of stock connectors .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 12/04/17 at 23:06:40

Sounds like fun stuff !

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 12/05/17 at 05:28:45

I have used those connectors, and they work fine on wire that is clean and not corroded.  They must have a solder that somehow self "fluxes", as they solder the wire well.  It takes a little practice to learn how to get the entire connector hot enough to solder and shrink properly - without overheating anything.  I keep several sizes in my electrical repair box.

I think the connectors are a bit bulky for use to build or modify a wiring harness - they make the wiring bundle thick and stiff as they don't flex.  I prefer to just splice the wires by stripping off a small length, twisting them together, fluxing and soldering them, then use a small piece of heat shrink tubing.  When splicing several wires in the same area I stagger the splices a bit to avoid a bulky bulge in the harness when I use black tape to create the outer covering.

Using the bullet connectors to repair or modify the harness is really a great way to make a factory looking project.
http://vintageconnections.com/

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 02:27:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Heat shrink crimpless connectors??

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.