Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Wheel Interchangeability (Read 244 times)
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Re: Rear Wheel Interchangeability
Reply #15 - 11/30/17 at 07:23:31

Thanks Dave for your response.  This summer I acquired a 1989 derelict Corvette and have been working at getting it back on the road.  Much of the parts and pieces needed for that auto have to come from parts cars or salvage operations.  Point is, as you mention, it's a 30-year-old car and parts and pieces from donor cars are 30-years old too.  It is very hard to find anything on the used circuit that is in "cherry" condition.  I gathered that a GS 550 rear wheel from 78-82 was primo for the bolt on switch.  1978 is 40-years-old!! So, my thinking matched yours in that old parts is old parts and it's a roll of the dice to get a really good wheel (looking at some of the stuff on eBay...yikes).  The tire availability and 2.15 width also reared it's head as I formulated the plan for my build.  Grabbing a Savage rear hub/brake assembly and lacing a new rim with new spokes/nipples just kept coming up as the best option for looks and trustworthy quality.  I can't tell you the number of bicycle wheels I trued where I was fighting age and neglect simply getting the nipples to turn without rounding the nipple corners resulting in cutting out the bad spoke and replacing with something that actually worked. I'll check out your Cafe post on tires.

ohiomoto thanks for joining in.  I recall your rear wheel discussion about your source(s), re-drilling, decision on rim size and tire choices.  All very well thought out and consistent with your 70s build.  I have mentioned before I really admire your build project and the results are stunning.  If you're looking to move that extra wheel to a new home...I'm certainly interested.  The approach Dave outlined with lacing up the replacement while still riding looks to be what I am going to do.  I'll pm you so we can discuss commerce.

* NMSavage

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Re: Rear Wheel Interchangeability
Reply #16 - 11/30/17 at 08:22:03

PM sent

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:36:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Wheel Interchangeability

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.