Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Rear Wheel Interchangeability (Read 244 times)
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Rear Wheel Interchangeability
11/28/17 at 13:51:53

Does any forum member know of a motorcycle parts interchangeability site.  I found one supposedly at chopperfix.com, but it is defunct.

It's going on 78 degrees here in southern New Mexico...so riding daily.  When the highs hit 40 I am planning on a build for my 2007.  I am searching for an 18" rear wheel.  Is there a plug and play switch available or am I looking at re-lacing a new rim on my old rear hub?

Thanks for any input!!

* NMSavage

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Rear Wheel Interchangeability
Reply #1 - 11/28/17 at 14:00:38

My memory may be off on this, but I seem to remember that a GS550 wheel will work. However, that is a mag wheel. If you want to keep the spoke look, your best bet is re-lacing the existing hub. It can be re-laced and trued in about 1-2 hours.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 11/28/17 at 14:39:30

There are a few 70's and 80's that should be a bolt on, mag or spoke.
Nearly all have the same size axle and drum.
The chart only lists axle and rim, so you have to make a guess on the rest.
You could ask them to measure the drum size so you'd know if it's worn out.
otherwise get the drum and the sprocket crap and you're good to go.

search for a thread titled "whale"

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #3 - 11/28/17 at 16:36:44

The 550 wheel is 16" tubeless cast, the hub and brake fits like a glove. If you want 18" spoked look for a brake hub that says 130 mm to fit the s40 brake hub. The drive side may or may not fit our hub. Your pretty much on your own on that.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 11/28/17 at 18:53:27

the gs550 has a wide range of sizes depending on model and year.
here's a 18" spoked version...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-550-GS-GS550-E-Used-Rear-Wheel-Rim-1978-SB12-...

WWW   IP Logged
badwolf
Serious Thumper

Ridin' my Lil'
Bagger - 153k miles
so far

Palm Beach County, FL
Reply #5 - 11/28/17 at 21:35:37

That link is priced a little high, and the drive hub will NOT be a match for ours. The brake hub can not be read in the pictures, ask BEFORE you buy shipping it back is a hassle you or the seller don't want. If you can get both hubs with it, all shipped together for less shipping, you might be alright.
I used a wheel from a 02' 800 v twin and had to make a brake hub arm to stop it from turning. Ours has it built-in.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 11/28/17 at 21:56:41

badwolf wrote on 11/28/17 at 21:35:37:
That link is priced a little high, and the drive hub will NOT be a match for ours.

Naturally, research before you buy.

How do you know that the drive hub won't fit?

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 11/29/17 at 06:16:16

You could send your hub to Ryca they will lace & true a 18" aluminum rim on it , either plain or polished !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #8 - 11/29/17 at 06:45:48

Thank you all for your input.  The reminders to check before you buy are gems.  I tend to think it'll work without the quality check on being worn out.   That has had me wasting money and time previously.

Versy...I did check out "whale". Not much there but a rant from someone who seemed disturbed.  I checked out "wheel" and found lots that I had read when I searched "rear wheel".

Again, I appreciate all the input.

* NMSavage

2007 S40 is now a Savage Street Tracker, Hi-Comp piston, Mikuni Round Slide, Custom header, Chain conversion, Personalized by loving rebuild: http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1536957321/0#0
  IP Logged
snels516

Reply #9 - 11/29/17 at 07:08:39

If you just searched “whale” in the search bar on the site then you got taken to a thread about the meat industry. Search google using
“whale site:suzukisavage.com” in the search bar.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 11/29/17 at 08:31:35

WWW   IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #11 - 11/29/17 at 09:54:22

Thanks Versy for the additional link.  And thanks snels516 for the tip.  badwolf you've been down this road and I thank you for the insights.  

Lots and lots of discussion I had not found using Search.  I obviously need to hone my search criteria words. As far as research goes I have spend hours gleaning what I could from this forum even before I asked the open ended question....plus hours on ebay and google. My frustration stems from knowing there is encyclopedic information out there...but I seem to lack the proper queries to access it.  Must be the dead brain cells from a misspent youth.

To be honest, I was looking to keep my bike on the road and deal with a conversion that would allow me to not deal with too much down time.  I have to admit...new rim with re-lacing new spokes appears to be my best best. (that 70's show build outlines this very well). I do not have the equipment or the contacts to machine parts for alignment, brake stops, etc....don't want cast nor tubless...want 18" and spokes.  And, obviously I do not have the command of parts interchangeability that seems to be prevalent on the forum. Also, I'm a hands on kind of tinkerer...so sending my current hub to have the work done for me isn't on my radar.

I used to work in a bike shop (pedal bike). Building wheels is something I have done, but not the size of motorcycle wheels.  Have to say that the secret of lacing pedal bike wheels is a good truing stand.

So, armed with the 70s 80s GS550 and other rear wheel data, I'll keep looking until colder weather forces me indoors. Then the wheel conversion, accompanying chain conversion, and additional mods (got a Lancer piston coming, going with a Phase 3 cam) and others will be a great way to while away the winter.  

Appreciate all of you that added to this thread!!

* NMSavage

IP Logged
NMSavage

A Savage Twist of
the Wrist...no
mistakin' TORQUE!

Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reply #12 - 11/29/17 at 10:01:31

Oh yeah.  When that engine is opened up a Versy cam chain tensioner and head plug with find a home. (still under 2500 miles on this engine).

* NMSavage

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 11/30/17 at 05:13:15

One of the problems with salvage spoked wheels - is that the majority of them are from bikes built in the 80's which makes them old, corroded, scratched....and maybe bent or wobbly.  The spokes and nipples are generally corroded enough that truing the wheels is most likely not going to be possible.  If your current bike is in good shape and looks nice - it is going to be hard to find a 30+ year old wheel that is in similar condition.  A lot of the older rear wheels are only 1.85 or 2.15 inches wide, and this really limits the choice of tires (See my comments in the Cafe' Tire thread).

(I am away on vacation and using a laptop.....I can't figure out how to copy and paste links on this Dell that uses a flat rectangle without any left and right mouse buttons)

You likely can get a Savage hub and build a wheel = while you keep riding on the stock wheel.  If you want to run vintage sizes on the back you can go to a 2.50 width rim - if you want to run a more modern looking tire size like a 130/70-18 you need to get a 3.50" wide rim.

There was a fellow recently that found a 17" wheel that is a direct swap (a DR800 Ii believe) - but that bike is not very common in the US and finding that wheel in good shape is not easy.  Maybe somebody can help me find that thread and link it here.  I looked on eBay when that wheel was posted, and I only found one listed and it was in the UK....and the wheel was not in great cosmetic shape.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/30/17 at 05:24:40

I laced my wheel up in one evening if I recall.   And I even had to unlace it after the first attempt to drill out the holes on the rim.  The biggest issue is making sure the holes line up with the angle of the spokes. Most 18" rims are drilled for modern disc hubs which are much smaller than our drum brake hub.  I ordered my parts from MikesXS and the rim was supposed to be drilled for the XS650 rear hub which is nearly identical to ours according to Buchanan Spoke, but I still had to open up the holes a bit.

FWIW, I have an extra wheel.  I could break it down and sell the hub or maybe even lace another wheel up.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:26:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Wheel Interchangeability

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.