Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New thumper coming to US? (Read 143 times)
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
New thumper coming to US?
11/20/17 at 12:48:28

Interesting bike. Interesting price too. 4,499.

https://rideapart.com/articles/royal-enfield-himalayan-coming-north-america

I read somewhere, can't remember where, that RE is working to establish an actual. viable, dealer network in the US.

Road test from India:

http://overdrive.in/reviews/2016-royal-enfield-himalayan-first-ride-review/

IP Logged
MMRanch
Serious Thumper

Evil flourishes if
Good Men do Nothing.

LYNCHBURG TN
Re: New thumper coming to US?
Reply #1 - 11/20/17 at 16:32:15

I like it !  A scrambler !!  

Actually , I like the Yamaha Scrambler --- But --- I ain't paying for a brush type alt. that spins a wound rotor on a vibrating crankshaft.  

So, the Enfield looks good , and it get over 70 mpg according to their data.  I'm guessing a 400cc class bike would redline high gear about 85 mph but with a chain things can change easily .  Wink   A 400cc might not be too ruff on the modern chains we have now ???

Peaked my interest  Smiley

I see and feel the Holy Spirit in the world , as does anybody who has eyes to see.
WWW MMRanch MMRanch   IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #2 - 11/20/17 at 21:38:00

This could be interesting. Might even make it possible to keep up with Youzguyz on the dirt roads he likes. Grin

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 11/21/17 at 04:17:13

Springman......like most dual sport bikes - this one is tall.  The seat height is 31.5".  MMRanch wouldn't have a problem - but it is a bit tall for me, you, Stewmills..and the rest of us that have a 30" or less inseam.  It could be worse however....as the KLR650 and some others have seat heights up to 35".....I rode a V-Strom 1000 and could only reach the ground with my tippy toes!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 11/21/17 at 05:43:11

I am only challenged by my inseam ! Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Franklin2135
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/21/17 at 06:12:07

420 pounds dry and only 25 hp. I'm no expert but I think that performance is likely to be lacking. I mean, the stock S40 has 5 more hp and weighs about 30 lbs less, and it's no ball of fire.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 11/21/17 at 06:25:15

But it does have TWO front fenders!  Smiley

IP Logged
Franklin2135
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 11/21/17 at 07:54:29

ohiomoto wrote on 11/21/17 at 06:25:15:
But it does have TWO front fenders!  Smiley

Well, then never mind, everything's OK.  Wink

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/21/17 at 08:15:11

I was coming back from a new pumping station test and stopped by the local Honda/Suzuki/Kawasaki dealer to get a spare key.....and I saw the new Versys 300.  It has the same parallel twin engine as the Ninja 300, and the bike looks great and has a relatively low seat height.  If the engine runs anything like my 250 Ninja - highways speeds are no problem...not sure how well the little twin does in the dirt.  I would feel a bit more confident about the reliability of this bike over the Royal Enfield - and it is 40 pounds lighter, and I suspect it has more Horsepower (but likely not as much low end torque as a single).
Sorry I diverted the thread away from the new Royal Enfield.  

https://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2018-Versys-X-300-ABS

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #9 - 11/21/17 at 09:52:14

I sat on a 300 Versys not too long ago at a local dealer. Even with my 30" inseam the 32.1"     seat height wasn't a problem. The rear suspension compresses a good bit when you've got your weight on it.. The front of the seat is pretty narrow too. I had the balls of my feet solidly on the floor and I suspect with some miles on the bike to soften the suspension up a bit I could flat foot it no problem.

The tag on the bars said $6299, which I think is MSRP+setup/destination. Add sales tax, which is 8% here, and DMV fees and you're getting pretty close to $7K.

Top speed on the RE is around 80 I think. The Kawai will hit a bit over 100. I'm sure the Versys is a better bike, but it ought to be considering how much more it costs.

Another thing I think is pretty neat is the racks that come already installed on the RE. I looks like you could hang a lot of crap on that thing without buying anything except some straps or bungees. All the bodywork on the Versys is plastic. Not going to carry much on that without buying some luggage made specifically for the bike I don't think.

IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #10 - 11/21/17 at 19:50:37

I checked out the Versys 300 and that looks quite good also. But yes, it is a good bit more expensive.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/22/17 at 03:22:48

springman wrote on 11/21/17 at 19:50:37:
I checked out the Versys 300 and that looks quite good also. But yes, it is a good bit more expensive.

I do believe it is the kind of bike that folks will buy....then after a little while move on to something else.  If you wait a few years, you can most likely get a low mileage bike for half price.  I seriously doubt if I will ever buy another new bike in my lifetime - as a little time spent browsing Craigslist and eBay can get you some incredible deals on used bikes.

IP Logged
oldNslow
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rochester, NY
Reply #12 - 11/22/17 at 07:23:22

Dave wrote:" I seriously doubt if I will ever buy another new bike in my lifetime - as a little time spent browsing Craigslist and eBay can get you some incredible deals on used bikes"

Same here. It's definitely a buyers market.

HD new bike sales have been down significantly for the past few quarters, and I think that part of their problem is the glut of low mileage relatively new Harleys on the market at very attractive prices. Harley is competing with itself right now in it's own portion of the market.  

IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 11/23/17 at 09:39:32

Dave wrote on 11/21/17 at 04:17:13:
Springman......like most dual sport bikes - this one is tall.  The seat height is 31.5".  MMRanch wouldn't have a problem - but it is a bit tall for me, you, Stewmills..and the rest of us that have a 30" or less inseam.  It could be worse however....as the KLR650 and some others have seat heights up to 35".....I rode a V-Strom 1000 and could only reach the ground with my tippy toes!

Y'know, I had a similar problem with my (former) Yam XT225. While the bike ran fine, I had to "cowboy up" to get in the saddle. That meant, while on sidestand, left foot on footpeg, hold handlebars, rise up and swing right leg over. Stoplights required a "leaner". I long for the beautiful scramblers of the '70s. I would jump at the chance to get a new Honda CL175, but it's not going to happen.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 11/23/17 at 10:10:50

Buy one and restore it. It would be a great project !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 14:28:08

General CategoryThe Cafe › New thumper coming to US?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.