Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Aloha from Hawaii
10/26/17 at 18:20:28

Howdy Savage Forum Folks,
Bought me an '06 a few weeks ago as something to work on. It's already in good shape (one of my caveats for a project bike is "have to be able to ride it home"), with a bunch of bobber mods done - some well (hugger rear fender) and some hacky  (solo seat). The wiring is all working but lots of electrical tape and unshielded crimp connections. The guy said he had done the timing chain tensioner mod; we'll see when I get her opened up. Otherwise runs like a clock; strong engine. Needs a proper carb tuning (little bitty pops on downshift, and occasional big pop on shutdown). I'm going to get it straight, get a new safety sticker for it and then take it down for paint and finishing (and clean up the wiring).

I live in Hawaii and ride everyday (my go-to bike is an Indian Scout, which is sooooo choice). So far pretty much every question I've had has an answer (or three) here on the forum, so thank you, forum.

Aloha
RH

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Aloha from Hawaii
Reply #1 - 10/26/17 at 18:59:02

Aloooooooo-HAA !  From a former Army Rotorhead !

Last time in the front seat mixing controls was ... ... ... aaaaa ... 1976.
Yep, it has been a while.
Are you military or civialian ?
If military, active or retired ?
We are a mosey bunch here; oh well. 😁

😎🏍😎🚁😎

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 10/26/17 at 23:05:27

Welcome , Good info here but it's our members that make this a outstanding forum. Do not hesitate to ask questions.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Reply #3 - 10/27/17 at 00:26:19

Hey lancer, I'm a retired navy seahawk driver. Work for the army now at wheeler so I get my rotary wing fix every day driving home along the runway.
Aloha,
RH

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 10/27/17 at 04:25:10

Rotorhead wrote on 10/27/17 at 00:26:19:
Hey lancer, I'm a retired navy seahawk driver. Work for the army now at wheeler so I get my rotary wing fix every day driving home along the runway.
Aloha,
RH

Are you getting any stick time at work ? Or is it not a job where you can do that ?  If so, bummer.  I would love to be able to fly again.  That's one of the reasons I like riding, it's a 2 deminsional version flying substitute, especially mountain twisties.
When I came back from Vietnam I was discharged early, spent a couple years doing this & that before going back to finish my degree.  Was in a flying National Guard unit while in school, then joined the Navy after graduation and after OCS was in the NFO program.  One week before graduation was medically grounded for massive ear & sinus block, later I applied for medical and age waivers to go to the pilot program restricted to helicopters and after several months they were granted.  Got almost to the end of primary when I was medically grounded again for migraines this time, and that one was permanent.
Spent the rest of my Navy career in Aviation Mantenence.  

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/27/17 at 06:08:49

That had to be heartbreaking.
My experiences with flight left a mark.
I can't imagine having the abilities and opportunity and watch it go down the tubes like that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 10/27/17 at 13:41:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/27/17 at 06:08:49:
That had to be heartbreaking.
My experiences with flight left a mark.
I can't imagine having the abilities and opportunity and watch it go down the tubes like that.

It did take some ..... AJUSTMENT of my heart and mind.

IP Logged
Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Reply #7 - 10/30/17 at 17:31:25

No, I'm not flying anymore. Commercial rotary wing is not a good paying option and I'm not going to pay to fly recreationally ($700/hr in piston R22 around here). Not after dual turbine power, low level routes, cal/LZ and the like. I do miss it but I've got some incredible memories that most people will never know, so I'm happy.

And yes, within a year of retiring I got my first motorcycle (a Shadow 750) and now have my Scout and the Savage. I love the simplicity of the savage - I used to work on air cooled VWs for the same reason. Like now I'm dealing with poppity-pops in the exhaust, and I know there are only so many things it can be (air leaks, carb tuning, etc.) and I'm enjoying eliminating each one until I find and fix the culprit.

It's got an aftermarket slash-cut slip-on; I'm not crazy about the sound but the bike produces more power than I expected out of a 650, so if I can fix the pops I'll keep it. Otherwise I may go to a quieter option, maybe a stock sporty or dyna slip-on if one rolls across craigslist.
-RH

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 10/31/17 at 06:07:26

The sporty/dyna works really well with the Savage engine, and they are cheap.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/31/17 at 09:08:27

If mine didn't spit and snarl downshifting I'd hafta retune till it did.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
britide
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 11/21/17 at 07:05:24

Aloha, I just got my S40 a couple months ago off of craigslist, been doing some tweeks and lovin it. I want a scout too! I hope I see you on thr island, I live in town.

IP Logged
Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Reply #11 - 11/22/17 at 09:35:10

Britide, there's an ad on the Honolulu CL for two scrap savages, 86 and 87, for $400 (was still up as of 11/21/17), if you are looking for parts. Mine is mechanically sounds (and an '06) so I'm not going to look at them, but thought you might want to know.
-RH

IP Logged
britide
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 11/22/17 at 11:10:40

Mahalo RH! I might check it out. I'd rather have a Scout though Wink

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 11/23/17 at 03:01:51

britide wrote on 11/22/17 at 11:10:40:
Mahalo RH! I might check it out. I'd rather have a Scout though Wink

What are you going to do with the extra cylinder ?
I disconnected the rear cylinder on my Sportster and I'm saving it as a spare in case the front one goes kaput. 😁🏍😎

IP Logged
britide
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/23/17 at 08:01:47

" alt="" title="" border="0" /> wondering if anyone knows where I can get these forward controls and sissy bar?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/03/24 at 07:51:34

General CategoryThe Cafe › Aloha from Hawaii

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.