Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dead Battery (Read 104 times)
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Dead Battery
11/18/17 at 10:45:21

54 degrees yesterday and sunny. Go for a ride? Nope. Dead Battery. Got a charger, no problem. Except getting the battery out is a real PITA. Remove tool box cover, backing plate, seat, left side panel, negative cable, slide battery out 1", remove positive cable, slide breather tube out of bracket, (finally) remove battery. No wonder in 5 years of ownership, I've never serviced it. Bone dry, no fluid. Fill battery with distilled water, put on charger overnight, assemble in reverse. Today it's 40 degrees and raining. Surely the motorcycle gods are having a laugh Grin

Would a kick starter be too much to ask for?

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Dead Battery
Reply #1 - 11/18/17 at 11:02:54

Once air has reached the plates in the battery it begins to degrade. Your fix is temporary , plan on buying a new battery or plan on pushing the bike instead of riding it. It looks bad for the rest of us when your seen pushing your Savage  Grin Grin Grin

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 11/18/17 at 11:23:31

That battery would be on my
I'm getting a new one
List.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #3 - 11/18/17 at 15:32:08

Get a AGM battery, then you will not have to worry about liquid level, and corrosive fumes when charging. If you get a maintainer, all the ones I bought came with a set of leads you can hook up to the battery permanently,  so you can use the maintainer without taking the battery out.

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 11/18/17 at 16:22:27

Good advice JLC.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
Franklin2135
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 11/20/17 at 10:22:02

I'm a newbie (less than 2 years riding) but in quick succession acquired two bikes where the deals were just too good to pass up. Imagine my surprise when it was easier to install/remove the battery in my 1975 Honda CB360-T than my 2009 Suzuki S40. And by easier, I mean that you pop up the hinged seat and there is the battery with a big rubber strap holding it in place - 30 seconds to get it in or out. What the thinking was with the S40 design is beyond me.

The only problem for me with the permanent battery maintainer hookup solution is that I store the bikes at a remote location where I do not have an outlet available, so I have to remove the batteries and take them home for the winter, where I do keep them on a float charger.  During the summer I ride the bikes just about every week so no issues with keeping the batteries up then. 

These are really just observations - I'm not looking for a solution to a problem that was created by my decision about where and how to store the bikes.

But let's face it, the Suzuki battery location and access is sub-optimal even by the standards of when it was designed.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 11/20/17 at 10:58:21

"If you don't like your life rearrange it".. Grin     I've often thought that a somewhat smaller battery (shorter) might be placed in a custom battery box ,that could be mounted with a hinge  on the bottom in the original spot, so it could pivot forward toward the motor allowing the battery to slide out, with a lid that lifted off and small straps to both hold on the top and the battery back in place. Access to the cables would also be much easier.Or you could bolt a hinge to the bottom of the side facing motor and another at the top bolted to a flat lid, swing the side out and the lid would fold down on to it as you swing the side down,allowing you to side the battery forward and out either side. or whatever you come up with.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #7 - 11/20/17 at 11:39:40

One of the many advantages of a Li On battery is that it doesn't need to be charged for long periods of inactivity. Simply remove the negative battery cable and it will hold a starting charge for a year.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
HAPPYDAN

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 11/22/17 at 15:55:12

I did put a pigtail on the battery for a quick connect to a charger, as they are currently on sale at Costco. Good Idea. I routed through the tool box, since my tool kit won't fit in it. It's in a handlebar mounted tool bag. I have previously owned Hondas (CB350, CB360), a Yamaha (XT225) and a HD FLH 74, which were all MUCH easier to access. My CT 110 is a snap also. Not complaining; just a comment.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 11/22/17 at 23:01:55

I cut a two wire connector out of the wiring on an old car for my  pigtails.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 14:48:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dead Battery

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.