Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kickstand Switch Question (Read 312 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Kickstand Switch Question
Reply #15 - 11/14/17 at 05:40:22

It is good for all of our members to know the symptoms of a failed sidestand, clutch and neutral light switches - so you can bypass those switches to get home and do a proper repair.

SIDESTAND SWITCH FAILURE - The engine stops immediately when you put the bike in gear.  The switch can be bypassed by finding the connector on the left side of the bike - on the frame just above the pulley cover.  Take the connector apart and stick a jumper wire or paper clip between the two wires in the connector...then tape it up to prevent the wire from touching the frame.

CLUTCH SAFETY FAILURE - When this fails the starter won't run when you hit the button.  This can be bypassed by removing the two wires connectors at the bottom of the clutch lever pivot.  Run a jumper wire and tape it up to prevent a short.

NEUTRAL LIGHT SWITCH - If the neutral switch fails........the engine won't start if the kickstand is down - as the safety system believes the transmission is in gear all the time.  This one is a little hard to bypass as the connector is on the right side of the frame backbone, and the tank has to be removed to access it.  The neutral switch creates a ground for the starter relay to work - the wire comes out of the bottom of the engine just below the oil inspection window and it has a black covering.  The wire then goes up the frame to the backbone under the tank, and the wire is blue.  You need to either disconnect the wire under the tank and run a jumper wire to a ground - or in an emergency you can cut the wire and ground is somewhere.

I am not recommending the removal of any of the safety switches by any of the new members on this group - however I am old and go "Old School".  I started riding a very, very long time ago (about 48 years).....my first bikes were kick start and didn't have a neutral light.  I have a routine for getting on my bike and getting ready to ride - and after this long it is now a reflex.

1) Put on all my riding gear.
2) Get on the bike and grab the handlebars, level the bike, put kickstand up.
3) Turn on petcock and move choke lever if needed.
4) Rock bike a bit forward/back to confirm bike is in neutral.
5) Turn on Ignition, pull in clutch lever - kickstart or use starter button.
6) Warm bike up for about 30 seconds - turn off choke.
7) Pull in clutch, put bike in gear......ride off.
8) Let the engine warm up and use gentle throttle for a few minutes.

I like keeping things as simple as possible on my motorcycle, and the kick stand and clutch safety have been know to fail.  I really don't want to have those kind of issues when riding the Savage - so I have removed the switches on my Cafe' bike.  My bike will take off if you hit the starter button while the bike is in gear and the clutch is out - so I never start the engine if I am not seated on the bike and the clutch is in.......and being seated on the bike automatically triggers my reflex to put the kickstand up.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 11/14/17 at 07:58:16

SIDESTAND SWITCH FAILURE - This is a ground, no need to isolate it.

CLUTCH SAFETY FAILURE - This is 12v, wrap this one up good.  This is also a good point to check, no 12v (or so) check the kill switch.

NEUTRAL LIGHT SWITCH - Also a ground as noted.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 11/14/17 at 08:25:21

EDS, I prefer to use the kill switch ,always! this switch shuts the bike off,and more importantly kills power to the ignitor(cdi ) and the spark coil. While this may not seem important ,but if you forget to remove the key,power is still on and can burn up the diodes in the cdi ,a very costly mistake,and frequent use of this switch (exposed to weather) tends. to keep it in working order, if the contacts become dirty do to non use the bike will fail to start.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 11/14/17 at 18:47:18

I, too, have gotten in the habit of using the kill switch   I had read about the desirability of using it in the past.  I don't  want too many safety switches, life would be too boring.

IP Logged
Birchw1
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 11/16/17 at 12:28:52

Some great info - thanks!!

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #20 - 11/16/17 at 14:19:17

IMHO the kill switch has only one function. To shut the ENGINE down in an emergency. The key is for shutting the bike down.

I do use the kill switch now and again to ensure that it functions properly.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #21 - 11/16/17 at 21:01:42

Morm , the kill switch is to shut the bike down any time, the key is to shut the bike off . It's best to use the switch every time  ,If you use the key to shut off the motor the bike will have to be in neutral,Unless you've used the kickstand to shut the motor off(which wont stop power to the CDI)  I feel it's safer to park my bike in gear ,and you have to reach down an blindly remove the key, what if you turn it to park instead ,pull the key, and walk away?(dead battery?)What if your distracted by a riding buddy, forget to turn it off, and walk away? (fried CDI ?)I get off the bike and remove the key as I'm looking at it, this insures that I remove it in the off position ,using the kill switch insures no damage to the CDI, and the bike in gear lessens the chance that it might roll ,the kickstand fold ,and the bike fall,  if bumped or on an uneven surface . In an emergency turning off the kill switch will be an "automatic "reflex, and you'll know it's going to work.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 11/16/17 at 21:11:45

you must be short... or young.   Cool

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #23 - 11/17/17 at 02:13:49

batman wrote on 11/16/17 at 21:01:42:
Morm , the kill switch is to shut the bike down any time, the key is to shut the bike off .

This is your routine - not mine.

I use the key to shut the bike off - works every time! Wink

« Last Edit: 11/17/17 at 03:33:48 by Dave »  

IP Logged
buster6315

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 11/17/17 at 06:37:10

I like the jiffy stand on my Sportster.  Once deployed, it will not fold-up if the bike rolls forward.  There's another safety requirement Big Brother could take a look at.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #25 - 11/17/17 at 07:12:30

buster6315 wrote on 11/17/17 at 06:37:10:
I like the jiffy stand on my Sportster.  Once deployed, it will not fold-up if the bike rolls forward.  There's another safety requirement Big Brother could take a look at.

Harley kickstands are a bit scary for those of us who only ride them once in a while.  When the kickstand touches the ground.....and then the bike continues to lean over until the kickstand engages - that always causes my heart to skip a beat!

IP Logged
RazBarlow

Timing Is Everything
! R U Advanced or
Retarded ?

Keene Texas
Reply #26 - 11/17/17 at 07:55:15

I agree with you , I can't remember in the past 30 years of riding when the last time was that I used a kill switch .
I have walked up on people that are trying to get their bike to start and they have used the kill switch or someone else has ridden their bike and used the kill switch.
If you walked up to my bike and flipped the kill switch you would honestly have me trippin for a minute .

norm92de wrote on 11/16/17 at 14:19:17:
IMHO the kill switch has only one function. To shut the ENGINE down in an emergency. The key is for shutting the bike down.

I do use the kill switch now and again to ensure that it functions properly.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #27 - 11/17/17 at 08:05:01

MMRanch tried to reach over and shut my Kill Switch off while we were riding down in Lynchburg........luckily he missed! Wink

(I think it was a payback for when I tried to make it look like he had a big oil leak by dumping some used motor oil on the floor under his Sportster)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 11/17/17 at 08:09:57

Once had a rock bounce off my helmet then hit my kill switch.
WTF was that... WTF happened... then my eyes cleared.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #29 - 11/17/17 at 09:09:55

Dave ,I might use the key too, if it was sitting where my speedo use to be ,instead of under my butt cheek.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:32:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kickstand Switch Question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.