Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Voltage spike to 18-19V on high beam socket (Read 224 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Voltage spike to 18-19V on high beam socket
Reply #15 - 10/30/17 at 12:57:46

The thing that has prevented me from getting involved in this discussion thread.....is I don't understand how the headlight gets a 18 volts spike without anything else getting the spike?  Do you notice the lights flickering?  All of the lights should be showing an increase in brightness with 18 volt spikes!

I believe the charging wire from the voltage regulator goes to the positive battery terminal before the power goes to the ignition switch - so if the voltage regulator is creating the spike.....it should be going everywhere in the system.

You can get all kinds of cheap voltmeters to install on your bike that allow you to monitor the voltage as you ride.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-LED-Digital-Waterproof-Voltmeter-A-Gauge-Meter-1...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof-Motorcycle-USB-Phone-Power-Charger-Blue-L...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-LED-light-Car-4-2A-Dual-USB-Charger-Socket-Volta...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Digital-LED-Display-Voltmeter-Car-Motorcycle-Vol...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #16 - 10/30/17 at 19:13:55

Yes I was going to advise a analog meter(old school) I have both cause a digital meter moves so fast,analog is easier to pickup spikes. You will test the 3 yellow wires coming out of stator for ac voltage. You can also ohm test each leg , ground it to the engine , but that won't show difference in voltage.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 10/30/17 at 21:02:39

when you test for ohm s your doing the test between each of  two of the yellow stater wires (three readings),not to ground. a reading between 1-2 ohms tells you have conductivity, and your windings are good .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 10/31/17 at 08:29:44

Hi All,

I put a brand new bulb in last night after work and I rode off to class, about a 15 minute ride, city driving. This is the second Philips 9003 (they come in a 2-pack). High and low beam working. J_O_G unfortunately the bulb blew before I could test with a good bulb in, but I'll try again once I get a new (higher quality) bulb.

When I turned my bike off, the lights were working. When I turned it back on at night, 4-5 hours later, both high beam and low beam were off. This is different than what happened to the last bulb. Low beam burnt out first, then high beam burnt out the next day.

I am suspicious.. perhaps when I turn the bike off using the handlebar on/off switch, it is sending some voltage spike to the headlamp. What else could be burning the bulb out WHILE the bike is off?

NO OTHER BULB IS HAVING A PROBLEM -- as a matter of fact, I haven't replaced a bulb in 2 years of riding besides this head lamp and an entire turn signal swap after a kid pulled my bike down and snapped it off. There's no flickering, no super bright lamps or anything of the sort.

Dave, thanks for joining the conversation. On the high beam wire, I could produce the 16-19V 25% of the time, and could never produce it on the low beam. Once the bike was hot, I tried and tried to produce the 16-19V spike on the high beam again but I could not. It's probably not the regulator (is regular the same as rectifier?) according to the fact that no other bulbs are burning out.

Ruttly, I saw the analog meter and almost bought it just because it was so cheap. I don't think it will hurt to have one in my tool kit.

Batman/Ruttly, if I have enough daylight after work today I'll get out there and test the ohm/AC on the stator wires. When I do OHM, it is correct that I want to have the bike off right?

Thanks so much!
AJ

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 10/31/17 at 09:01:29

what year is your bike?

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #20 - 10/31/17 at 09:04:20

It is both a regulator and rectifier....it converts the AC current from the alternator into DC, and it also changes and limits the charging voltage to somewhere around 14 volts.

I really have no idea where the extra voltage would be coming from in a way that only affects the high beam headlght.  There is an orange wire that carries the power from the ignition switch up to the left handlebar elect control.  From there the H/L beam switch sends the power down the white (low beam) wire ....or the yellow (high beam) wire to the headlight.  About half way between the switch and headlight a small yellow wire is spliced into the large yellow wire - and the small yellow wire goes to the high beam indicator light above the speedometer.

So......if the high beam is getting extra power the low beam should be as well - unless somehow the small yellow wire to the indicator light is picking up extra voltage somewhere.  The only place on the bike that can create weird voltage spikes if the regulator/rectifier is working....is the (-) lead to the coil - and I don't know how the yellow wire and the (-) coil wire could be cross communicating.

One wiring thing that does occur fairly common is the wiring harness that goes into the headlight from the left switch - it is bent every time you turn the handlebars - and it is not uncommon for the yellow or white power wire....or the black ground wire to become broken and create a head light power issue - however that creates a "no power" situation rather that "too much" power.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 10/31/17 at 09:42:57

Dave-- thanks very much for all of the detail, I will be re-reading and inspecting this switch and the wires around it. I'm also going to run some tests of the rectifier just to get experience.

Verslagen - my bike is a 2008. Something has always confused me, on BikeBandit, they only show Pillion Handles on the 2007 model, and they show no Pillion Handles on the 2008 model. But, my VIN is a 2008 and it has the Pillion Handles.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 10/31/17 at 09:49:15

On the '05 model, they changed the starter switch to turn off the headlight when you push the starter button.
Maybe you got so sort of surge/noise going on.
clean the switch.

WWW   IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 10/31/17 at 10:26:41

Will do this! Thank you!
AJ

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #24 - 10/31/17 at 12:13:22

Protect your tank, spray contact cleaner in it, flick it back and forth.
If you take it apart, sweep up first, and lay a towel down to catch small parts.
Go slow, be careful. There's a spring in there.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 11/02/17 at 09:03:02

J_O_G I've been thinking about what you said since you said it... I am about to start taking it apart and now I realize I should spray contact cleaner before I go through the problem of taking it apart. THANK YOU

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 11/02/17 at 09:16:02

Yerwelcome..
I hope that fixes it or at Least changes the symptoms and proves that is where the problem is.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 11/08/17 at 06:55:30

Hi All,

It's been ~1 week since I saturated the starter switch with contact cleaner and my AutoZone brand headlight is still going strong. Thanks for the creative solution Verslagen! Thanks to the community for helping me, I'd be in big trouble if not!

Respectfully,
AJ

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:31:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Voltage spike to 18-19V on high beam socket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.