Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Voltage spike to 18-19V on high beam socket (Read 224 times)
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Voltage spike to 18-19V on high beam socket
10/28/17 at 09:02:40

Good morning! I tried my best to troubleshoot this one without posting since I've asked so much lately but I have hit another point of confusion.

I put a brand new headlight bulb (Philips 9003 - http://ow.ly/bOmM30gbYge) into my bike about one month ago. After ~2 hours of riding time, the low beam was burned out. I switched to high beam and it burned out after ~30 minutes of riding time. I've checked and the bulb itself has charring around the prongs, but all of the wires and the socket is clean as a whistle.

So, WTF!

I did troubleshooting.

Voltmeter connected directly to battery

12.7V with no key in
12.7V - 13.1V started up idle
8.6V - 14.4V revving around 2.5k to 3.0k RPM (my guess on RPM)

I think this seems OK and does not indicate a rectifier (or regulator?) problem

Voltmeter connected directly to the bulb socket, where I would plug the bulb in

I am keeping one prong in the "GROUND" socket of the bulb socket, and then moving the other prong between the yellow/white wire sockets, which correlate with high beam and low beam

On the low beam, it is steadily between 12.7V - 14.5V .. revving, idle, etc.

On the high beam, it is 0V until I switch the high beam switch on (DUH). Once I switch the high beam on, it runs between 12.7V and 14.5V, even when I am revving. Sometimes the high beam socket spikes to 16.0V - 19.1V when I am rolling OFF the throttle after a high rev

That underlined part above is the only worry-some part, but I have just tried to replicate it with a warm bike and it's not budging from 13.7V.

Really bad online reviews

This is my third solution, if the above high beam spike does not indicate some kind of problem... the bulbs I bought have terrible reviews, some people claiming a 2-week or 2-day bulb life. I have another bulb (pack of 2) that I'll put in right now and see how long it lasts.

I think my question is: Does the spike to 19V on the high beam socket when rolling off the throttle indicate a voltage rectifier (or regulator?) issue?

Thank you!
AJ

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Re: Voltage spike to 18-19V on high beam socket
Reply #1 - 10/28/17 at 11:42:41

The rectifier is the only component that controls output voltage of the stator , so it must be your problem. Usually the complaint is slightly lower than normal voltage which is normal. Unless your stator is causing the rectifier to fail from too much voltage.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #2 - 10/28/17 at 11:48:28

Are you using a digital or analog meter ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 10/28/17 at 11:48:41

check the stator wiring, potentially you have a short to ground.
and it could be intermittent, so rotate the crank too.
if that's not it, then it's the regulator.

WWW   IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #4 - 10/28/17 at 12:48:38

Versy , Would this harm anything if you started the bike and then unplug stator at rectifier/regulator at then check stator output voltage on each leg ,grounding meter to engine and then check each leg , I think they are the yellow wires ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 10/28/17 at 13:09:22

Ruttly wrote on 10/28/17 at 12:48:38:
Versy , Would this harm anything if you started the bike and then unplug stator at rectifier/regulator at then check stator output voltage on each leg ,grounding meter to engine and then check each leg , I think they are the yellow wires ?

If you unplug before you start, then you are following SSM instructions on checking the output voltage, which should be 100V AC around 5000 rpm.

batman wrote on 04/27/17 at 15:16:32:
George,you should check your alternator output ,you could do it simply by reading the voltage across the battery posts with the bjke running the voltage should be 13and change,or test the wires coming from the alternator (3 solid yellow) by unplugging them from rectifier with the motor running the voltmeter should read about 100 volts AC between any two of the leads (three tests) at about 5000 rpm.THe same test can be used with the bike off test for ohms across the three leads as be for ,there should be some slight resistance in each set of wires,if you find infinite resistance in any of the three reading the alternator is bad.If testing shows the alternator to be good ,and you put in a new battery which should be good ,and you have trouble again ,Id think you might look at the wiring and switches as the cause.

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #6 - 10/28/17 at 13:35:18

Just to add a bit ,the slight resistance is only 1-2 ohms . 100 volts @5000 rpm is ideal ,but can be as low as 80 volts ac(low limit).If your regulater was bad all bulbs that were lit on the bike at the time should have also blown, perhaps you just have a bad headlight socket or those bulbs aren't very good.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 10/28/17 at 16:15:16

Versey , I was very close,that was just off the top of my head.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 10/30/17 at 07:39:53

Good morning,

Thanks for all suggestions I will be checking the rectifier for 80V-100V AC. Ruttly, I use a digital multimeter. My dad told me that analog would be better to catch quick spikes in voltage here, are you getting at the same point? Looks like Batman said at 5000 rpm, that's pretty close to fully open throttle at neutral?

Had rain all day yesterday so I left the cover on and didn't get to it.

Thanks again!
AJ

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 10/30/17 at 08:44:46

The singular point I'm seeing is
Every wire feeding a lightbulb should be spiking.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/30/17 at 09:27:47

J_O_G:

that would be true if it was a rectifier issue, right? So the fact that all of my bulbs are not burning out... just the headlight.. proves the rectifier is OK?

Maybe I should order the $10 headlamp socket just to see. The socket looks so clean, though, connections are clean. Could just be crappy Philips bulbs too (I thought it was a good American company).

Thanks!
AJ

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 10/30/17 at 09:59:56

Before I went too nuts Fixing stuff I'd probably stick a new bulb in. I would spend more than five bucks.
I'm not able to see how a socket creates a spike.
I would certainly check voltage at other sockets.
With the bulb in, work a test probe into a connector, see what happens under load.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #12 - 10/30/17 at 11:14:58

Why would a faulty rectifier burn out the headlight and not the tail/running light(s) ??

I'd try another new headlight bulb (and be sure you don't "touch" the glass with bare fingers).
I always wash a new bulb with alcohol before installing to remove any contaminants

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/30/17 at 11:16:26

Thank you justin_o_guy and papa, i currently have a new bulb in we'll see how long it lasts. I'll try to get a test probe in there from the back of the socket.

AJ

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #14 - 10/30/17 at 12:42:09

Another bulb, in the back of a connector.
Paperclip, whatever..
Somewhere on the wiring harness, there is a place.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:23:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Voltage spike to 18-19V on high beam socket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.