Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pop only after hard acceleration. (Read 78 times)
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pop only after hard acceleration.
10/26/17 at 19:26:22

I swore I wasnt going to make the first thing I post a question but here it is.   I have a 29? inch cone on the bike and it runs fantastic.  Somebody had it straight piped before me but I redid the bike and now I have a question because I cant feel out singles.  The bike will do a huff more than a pop when i turn it off, already learned thats normal from reading, it wont decel pop warm whether it is shifting or a hard downshift.  Its a pretty tame exhaust note.  What gets me is when I really jump on it meaning WOT or close, I'll shift up to 4th hearing nothing but a nice pur then when I let off i hear a gunshot from the exhaust.  Is it lean or is that normal?  Id call lean if it were popping at other times but its only after really hard accelerations.

Anyway, Here's a pic of the bike after I finished with the first stage.  Over winter I have a bunch in store for it.

Worth mentioning i tested it with incense and there is no exhaust leak.  Shes all sealed up.

Thanks in advance.

IMG_20171005_183649943.jpg
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Pop only after hard acceleration.
Reply #1 - 10/26/17 at 22:55:24

Well it's not the muffler I would have used, you may think it looks pretty but does it function well? If your tuning the exhaust on our bikes the muffler needs to be enlarged just after the end of the header pipe (checkout a Dyna or even the stock muffler) your muffler is just slightly better than the straight pipe you replaced (both of which are bad),because they delay the expanding of the exhaust gases at the end of the header pipe ,making it effectively longer . Longer pipes favor lower rpm shorter favor higher ,so yours doesn't perform well at wot/higher speeds.

« Last Edit: 10/27/17 at 07:15:52 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 10/27/17 at 02:34:39

I believe your WOT runs are doing 2 things:

1)  The hard acceleration is making the exhaust header hot.

2)  Rolling off the throttle creates a fuel/air mix that is too lean to ignite in the cylinder - so the unburned fuel/air is pumped out the exhaust valve and into the header.

When you make your WOT runs - don't just chop the throttle closed when you have reached your speed limit....instead slowly roll off the throttle and don't allow the throttle to close completely.  Leave the throttle open just a bit to allow some fuel to flow into the engine.

When the engine is at high rpm and you close the throttle completely, the slide drops and closes off the fuel flow from the needle jet/main jet - so the only fuel going to the engine is from the idle circuit.  The high rpm and close throttle butterfly creates a very high vacuum that pulls a lot of air past the closed throttle plate - but the idle circuit cannot flow a matching amount of fuel.  The mixture becomes so lean that the spark plug cannot ignite the mixture - but the hot exhaust system can create a condition that ignites the fuel/air in the exhaust.

That cone muffler you have is not a bad muffler on a stock engine - MMRanch used that muffler for several years on this bike and it worked well.  If might be a bit restrictive for maximum performance at higher speeds - but it worked fine at cruising speeds.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 10/27/17 at 05:05:12

It's just an emgo muffler and I know it may not be the best performing but this bike was meant more to be my around town and bike that I could work on. I have a klr with a Vance and Hines exhaust and a Sportster with drag pipes so I wanted something that was nice and quiet for once.  The mechanical baffle appealed to me more than  leaving a trail of packing behind me.  That being said she bike makes it to 85 and I got it to 95 tucking it so I have no concerns of going faster.

Basically I was just trying to get verification that the pop was in fact just a similar instance to shutdown where gas is being sucked through in a lean condition and igniting at the exhaust rather than a permanently lean running system.  I have read "ls650s just pop all the time" that I'm trying to figure out what's "normal" and what's something I need to jet out.  I really appreciate the feedback.

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #4 - 10/27/17 at 05:46:36

I have that same muffler. I installed it because I wanted something on the quiet side, but it's become a PIA. Every time I need to remove the rear wheel I also have to remove the muffler. Mine has also developed a rattle (something is lose inside) so this winter it will get replaced with a short muffler. I'll install RYCA's adjustable baffle to get the sound that I want.

Oh, and Dave is correct on the cause of the pop. Notwithstanding, I'd go up one jet on the main and make sure the TVEC circuit is clean.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 10/27/17 at 06:17:14

I appreciate the input from everyone especially for a topic I'm sure is beat to the ground and considering I'm completely new. I knew eventually the muffler would come off but I just wanted to run it for a while.

Thanks again

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 10/27/17 at 06:51:40

Sounds like you got good feedback on this one.  So, just an off-topic question...
The back end of your bike looks really tall.  How long are those shocks and are you able to keep a reasonable balance of belt tension as the swingarm moves?

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
sawkuh
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/27/17 at 07:18:18

They are 12.75inch.  the full compression was abut much so I have them a bit on the stiffer side. I've gone through the motions and it seems as though at the most compressed state "which it will never reach hopefully) there is still adequate tension.  I compare the final tension to my Sportster and they have the same twist (that was my benchmark on how tight was tight).  I just followed the clymbers manual and only time will tell.  They are shocks for an s50 if that helps.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 09:18:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Pop only after hard acceleration.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.