Frame Cover Question (Read 98 times)
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Frame Cover Question
10/25/17 at 09:36:40

Hello everybody,

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2007-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m14757...

I have ordered part # 10  twice so far. Each time, they send me the wrong part. The screw is not the correct type of screw, and it does not fit in the hole. They've also just recently updated the website, I believe incorrectly, calling part # 10 a BOLT, BRAKE DRUM. Anyway, I guess that doesn't matter.

Is there a good way to figure out what size screw I need to hold on the S40 frame cover? Can I use a pin instead, since the factory screw vibrated out and the piece fell out into the road?

Thanks!
AJ

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Frame Cover Question
Reply #1 - 10/25/17 at 10:20:46

The pdf in the tech section says 02122-0612A replaces 02122-06123

But I would just go to the hardware store with a matching screw.

WWW   IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 10/25/17 at 10:39:19

Thank you!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 10/25/17 at 10:40:05

Well that is screwed up (pun intended).....looks like the diagram is wrong.  It lists the screw as something for the brake drum.

If you are looking for the screws that hold the bracket on - I believe they are flat head (countersunk) screws.

If I had to guess....I would say they are 6mm x 1.0 thread - and only about 10mm long.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 10/25/17 at 10:57:03

Bahaha, Good One Grin ! Thanks Dave and verslagen1

I'd just go match the screw but it also vibrated out and I only managed to recover the s40 bracket before rush hour traffic voted to kill me rather than wait  Shocked

I had taken this screw off before to look for a detached connector, and it looked like this: http://i.magaimg.net/img/1ook.jpg

The screw they keep sending me looks like this: http://i.magaimg.net/img/1ool.jpg

The first one they sent me was silver, and I told them it was wrong, and they also sent me the wrong part number (replacing A with B at the end). The second one they sent me was the same exact screw, but black, and then they edited the website to call it a BRAKE DRUM screw.

It fits through the frame cover, but does not fit into the screw hole on the frame. Also, due to that conical shape of the screw, it does not fit flush with the frame cover like the stock screw did.

I will go to the hardware store looking for some 6mm 1.0 and see if they can give me some guidance. I'll just park the bike outside and run in and out.

Thanks!
AJ

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/25/17 at 11:27:03

When finding the right bolt gets difficult, and you don't have one that can be removed from the bike that fits, get one that's close and go buy several that are most likely. Beats hours of frustration.
Hardware stores are expensive. Go to the industrial supply house.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 10/25/17 at 12:21:49

The screws are supposed to have the countersunk type head.......and they attach to the air box like these photos from eBay show.  I might have been wrong....they could be 8x1.25 thread pitch.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 10/25/17 at 13:28:33

Dave, that is exactly the screw they sent me--  and thanks to your photo now I know what you're talking about. But I don't need that screw.

The piece I need a screw for is the ornamental, outside-facing piece which covers the wires and has the s40 logo on it.

They have both screws labeled as Part #10 on the diagram... at least it looks that way to me. But, they are clearly different screws.

justin_o, thanks, I will take that recommendation!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 10/25/17 at 14:07:03

Should be the same as #4 or #5
02142-0510A or 02112-7516A

This is an engineer gone nuts...er screwy.
Should be all the same screw.
Take one from the other side and get a pack.
They really should come with washers.
I use old sealing washers and haven't lost any since.

WWW   IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/25/17 at 14:09:39

verslagen, thanks for confirming that they may be the same as #4 or #5. I also love the washer tip.. I hate how it chips away the paint without a washer.. aside from the fact that it's not secure. I'm gonna look for a sealing washer!

AJ

IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/25/17 at 14:11:59

Bahaha, just noticed the "screwy" joke. You and Dave cracking me up!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/25/17 at 14:12:47

sealing washers are used several places on the head cover and clutch cover.

WWW   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #12 - 10/26/17 at 06:43:50

aj108 wrote on 10/25/17 at 09:36:40:
Hello everybody,

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2007-suzuki-boulevard-s40-ls650/o/m14757...

I have ordered part # 10  twice so far. Each time, they send me the wrong part. The screw is not the correct type of screw, and it does not fit in the hole. They've also just recently updated the website, I believe incorrectly, calling part # 10 a BOLT, BRAKE DRUM. Anyway, I guess that doesn't matter.

Is there a good way to figure out what size screw I need to hold on the S40 frame cover? Can I use a pin instead, since the factory screw vibrated out and the piece fell out into the road?

Thanks!
AJ

------------------

If you have a way of  measuring the diameter of the screw threads, like with mics or calipers, the rough equivalent is .040 (40 thousandths) per millimeter.  for, example if you would measure .240 (240 thousandths) that would be equivalent to 6mm diameter.  (6 x .04 = .240).

The above suggestion is good - go to a local hardware and go to the section where all those little drawers are and find an equivalent.  I always buy the stainless version so I never have rusting issues in the future.

Also, I always suggest McMaster-Carr (online is excellent) and buy.  You may have to buy a small quantity (like a pack of 5) but often cheaper than 1 at the local store.  Great place to start to change over to all stainless screws, nuts and bolts.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
aj108
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 10/26/17 at 06:56:35

Thank you buckeye!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home