Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Considering purchasing a used Suzuki S40 (Read 289 times)
DarthTater
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Considering purchasing a used Suzuki S40
10/09/17 at 12:37:01

I can't help but notice the steady stream of references to the problems that are apparently quite common, primarily carburetor issues.  One of the appeals of these bikes to me is the "simple" technology (air cooled, single cylinder...)

However, in reading many posts on this and other websites, I get the impression that there are many ongoing issues with keeping the bike running properly, such as backfiring, idling too slowly, etc.  Do you really constantly have to tweak these bikes to keep them operating properly?

I like these bikes, but I'm kind of scared of buying one.  My Dad was an excellent auto mechanic.  However, I did not inherit his mechanical abilities at all, so any work required will of necessity be paid for, rather than self-repairs.  I don't want to spend riding time sitting in a repair shop waiting room.

Thanks for your input!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Considering purchasing a used Suzuki S40
Reply #1 - 10/09/17 at 13:01:45

A few years ago I was looking to upgrade my chainsaw, and I was looking to get a Stihl MS260.  I got on the internet forums and watched eBay, and it sure looked like that saw had a lot of problems.  What I later learned is that saw is the "go to saw" for a lot of tree service companies, firewood cutters, landscapers, etc. - and there are hundreds of them in operation for every one that is having problems.  If you properly maintain the saw it will run for years - and most owners are out cutting wood rather than getting on internet forums to yak about their saws.

The Savage is a similar beast, and it has a few issues that should be tended to - and once they are resolved it becomes reliable.

PETCOCK - The stock vacuum petcock is not reliable in areas that used E10 fuel.  The diaphragms don't like alcohol, and they eventually cause problems.  For $30 you can install a manual petcock and never worry about this issue again.

CAM AND ROCKER ISSUES - You need to use a motor oil with a high ZDDP level.  We don't know what the exact lower limit it - but we know the 600 ppm in the modern car oils are not enough.  Oils with 1,200 ppm are recommended and are easy to find - Shell Rotella is available almost anywhere.  You do need to keep the idle speed set at 1,100 rpm or higher - and it is a set it and forget it kind of thing.  (The folks who have problems with this are the ones who set the idle at really low speeds so they sound "bad ass".

JETTING/BACKFIRING - The stock jetting is pretty lean on all modern motorcycles.  If you live at a higher elevation the jetting may work well - for those of us down around sea level the jetting needs to be richer for the bike to run well.  If you have a bike that stumbles or surges, you will need to address the jetting.  The backfire issues are not much of a problem with the stock muffler - but the more open and louder the muffler you install.....the more issues you could have with popping and belching out the muffler as you decelerate.  You can eliminate a lot of this by learning to hold the throttle open a tiny bit as you slow down - this is a bike that appreciates a "good rider".

CAM CHAIN TENSIONER - This is the one issue that I don't believe has been fully refined.  The cam chain can stretch and need corrective action as early as 10,000 miles - some folks have gone nearly 30,000 miles.  Short local trips result in the cam chain stretching faster than on bike that are ridden long distances.  Verslagen can modify the tensioner to double the life - but you will have to monitor the stretch a time or two to establish how your riding habits affect the cam chain.  I do expect we will have this issue resolved in the coming year.....so chances are by the time you need to worry about it we will have a fixed available.  I have 11,000 mile on my bike and I will be looking at the cam chain this winter.....what else am I going to do when it is 10 degrees and snowy outside?

If you go look at the other bike forums....you likely will find that those bikes also have some issues that pop up regularly.  The good news is that the problems on the Savage are really pretty simple (most of the time).  We currently have one fellow on the forum with a loud clanking sound that is going to take some major surgery to diagnose and repair.....they can do fail if you don't keep them filled with good oil and ride them regularly.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 10/09/17 at 13:46:29

That said... people get on here to learn how to maintain their bike.  Or if they have an issue, how to resolve it.  Then they're gone... out riding somewhere.

If you can learn the basics, change your oil, sparkplug, adjust the valves, clutch, belt tension, lube the cables and keep the bolts tight you can save yourself a lot of trips to the shop and keep yourself off the side of the road.

WWW   IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #3 - 10/09/17 at 14:17:28

My current S40 was my first bike 5 years ago. Never owned one or worked on one before, although I am mechanically competent in most cases and like to work on stuff. Love it, and of any bike swapping I will ever do, this one will never be sold.

That said, I got a very solid used S40 that had never been worked on and it was up to me to work out all of these bugs, and I did so very effectively and very inexpensively with the help of the great folks here on this forum.

If you want to learn while troubleshooting, we will help you and can help you do more than you really think you can do as long as you're willing to put some skin in the game and try.  It's probably one of the best bikes to cut your teeth on.

If you want the problems to just disappear at the hand of someone else, this isn't the bike for you. You WILL spend countless dollars and trips to the dealer getting the bike worked on by mechanics that probably know way less about these bikes than most of us here do.  The shops rarely see these bikes enough to get familiar with them and they don't troubleshoot...they just do what the repair manual says and than take your $500 and send you home.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Reply #4 - 10/09/17 at 20:06:11

I've had my bike for 2 yrs. 6months and apart for tweaking the carb when I first got it I haven't done anything except ride it.

It now has 6500 miles on it and except for oil changes it hasn't needed any attention. Smiley

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 10/09/17 at 20:50:33

We've seen Perfeshunal Mukaniks destroy engines by putting the oil filter in backwards. The average h guy at a shop has no experience with this engine.
You'd probably be ahead to find a lawnmower mechanic if you don't want to do the work. Just have them log in here.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jcstokes
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com is
very useful

Mauku New Zealand
Reply #6 - 10/09/17 at 23:50:33

I'll probably get flung out of here, however, consider this. I did buy mine new, I have ridden just on 38000 miles in just over seven years. The bike has been serviced by the selling dealer, that may change as I'm some distance from him.
I have had no issues of consequence, the OEM disc pads were replaced early on and there was no more brake squeal. As far as I'm aware no one has looked at the cam chain tensioner and there doesn't appear to be noise associated with it. The dealer has obviously removed the brass plug which conceals the idle adjustment and fiddled with the adjustment, as the back firing has quietened a lot.The original IRC tyres aren't the best, particularly the back one. There is a Shinko brand which is popular here. If you are going to replace the petcock get a genuine Yamaha one and not a cheapie off EBAY. I've had no issues with mine, but I don't have to live with Ethanol petrol.
I don't know your budget, but you should pick up a good used one for $US 2000 - 3000. Stay stock and don't buy anything bobbed, chopped, or modded. You can do, or have these things done later if you wish.
If you aren't happy with mechanicing, leave the carburettor alone, while Suzuki may not be perfect, they aren't idiots either. and the bike will run quite happily as it left the factory. Do regular oil level checks, you can make, or get cut a block of wood which will raise the side stand, so the bike is upright while you do your check. buy a right angle tyre valve adapter so inflating your tyre, particularly the rear is made easy. Find a bike that appears to have been well care for, go to You Tube and do a search for Suzuki S40/LS650/Savage Cam Chain Noise, and have a watch and listen. If possible get a competent motorcycle mechanic to check the bike out and good luck.

Completely stock 2010 S40, aftermarket rev counter and back pack, Airhawk seat pad
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 10/10/17 at 05:44:53

I would imagine there are some "old school" Suzuki dealers that do take care of the Savage well - and there are a lot of folks that likely buy a new bike and get it serviced at their "good" dealer.....and we never hear about it.

This forum is mostly occupied by folks that buy used (and possibly abused) Savage motorcycles - sometimes pretty cheaply.  This forum is often the Rescue Shelter for unloved motorcycles - so it may appear to the casual observer that the Savage is high maintenance.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #8 - 10/10/17 at 06:31:42

I bought my '08 bike used (2 PO's) in June of 2014 with 2700 miles on it.
It's now close to 17K miles and I haven't had to do any real repairs to it.  I did change the petcock, put on new tires and did the cam change tensioner at 10K miles.  Outside of that I just do oil changes, brake pad changes and check the belt tension.  I've actually only checked the valve clearance once and will probably do it again over the Winter.

Keep in mind, most people will spend time on forums either troubleshooting problems or complaining about issues than they will just saying "nothing wrong with my bike for many months/years!".  It's just like customer complaints for stores.  You'll hear about the negative stuff but not the countless times everything was perfect.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
MShipley
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 10/10/17 at 11:49:26

I got remarried 3 years ago, don't know why but I got a wild hair and sold all my bikes. Honda, Sportster, Bonneville and S40.....I could not stand it though. The funny thing is the only one I really wanted back was my S40, so I got another. For me it is the simplicity. Sure there are a couple, Very Well Know Issues that are minor and very easy to fix but once again it is a very basic machine. When your computerized new Honda or Harley give you problems what do you do?

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 10/10/17 at 11:54:20

I have to admit, that I bought my 2011 Savage a year ago and now, I am re-thinking that.  This was kind of a shocker to me as I came from the Airhead BMW world.

However, having said that, let me say that the info you get here (either to solve a problem, or avoid problems in the future, is the best you will be able to find. You will need to be able to do your own mechanic work because to most dealers this bike is a complete mystifier!

I have put on over 7,500 miles since I have owned it, and ride it practically every day (to work - 14 miles each way) and on weekends I will sometimes take 100 to 200 mile round trips up through North Carolina and SC.

Only problem I have ever had was cold starting issues because I will ride even when cold and my starting issues are when around 50 Deg. or lower.  Haven't figured them out completely.

I have modified the cam chain adjuster - and gone 5,000 miles since.
I installed the Yamaha Raptor fuel petcock
Installed new tire on front, and need a new one on the back - will NOT be an IRC
I put on extra padding on seat which original is absolutely useless on any kind of a trip.

Now, having said that, when I do take my relatively short 200 mile trips and am not in a hurry, and NOT taking the Interstates, this bike can be as enjoyable as any you can find.  All bikes have problems and usually on websites you will only see the issues that are problems.  Probably for every one problem you see, there are a hundred of great stories and NON-problems that you do not see.

You just have to weigh for yourself what you want.  I would suggest keeping it stock as much as possible.  Tweak here and there to suit your desires and then ENJOY!!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #11 - 10/10/17 at 21:33:11

I'll add my 2 cents worth. I've only been riding for almost a year, and have no mechanical background. I initially bought a Ninja 250R sportsbike. It was a beautiful bike but not for me. While looking around I found the S40 at a dealership. I just liked it ... not sure why. However when I test rode a used one, I was really shocked by how it felt. It rumbled, and backfired, it wasn't as responsive, the torque was amazing.

Remember, it's the same bike Suzuki were making 30 years ago. It feels completely different to modern bikes. But something about it hooked me. I researched a lot and found this forum. I read a ton of threads and discovered that most of the things I thought were odd, were actually part of the character of the bike.

Since getting it, I have been modifying it in small ways, but that is mostly for personal pleasure. I have really come to love the way the bike feels. I've ridden a couple of other bikes, and ridden with friends on other bikes ... every one of those experiences has confirmed for me how much I enjoy this bike.

My advice would be the same as the others. Take care of the basic, known issues: petcock and tuning, and the bike will be great fun ... as long as it is, at heart, your kind of thing Smiley

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Franklin2135
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 10/31/17 at 10:17:05

I've had my S40 since July and have put about 300 miles on it, mostly on twisty back roads. It lives outside under an inexpensive cover. When I got it I adjusted the idle (that required about 3 minutes), changed the oil and filters (40 minutes) and added a fork bag (5 minutes). Beyond that I haven't had to tweak anything to have a summer of grand fun. My only regret is now it's time to winterize and put it away until spring. My take is that no motorcycle thrives on a ride-it-and-forget-it regime. You have to keep an eye on things, and honestly, that's part of the fun.

IP Logged
Rotorhead
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Pearl City, HI
Reply #13 - 10/31/17 at 15:36:42

I love my S40, because I can work on it and can fix mostly anything on it.

I also love my new Scout because it never needs any attention.

Thus is the duality of human nature.

-RH

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #14 - 11/02/17 at 05:05:48

Before I had my 2006 Savage with just shy of 4k miles fall in my lap... I had only been on heavier cruisers and sport bikes. Pretty much all of my previous bikes had been 1000cc+. I'm not a very big fellow at 6'3" 165lbs, so I didn't really need that much bike... I just liked the feel of the weight I suppose.

With that in mind... I fell in love with the Savage the first time I got it on the road. Just flat out FUN lol. It feels SO light that the stock 30ish hp it puts down feels like quite a bit more.

For me... The appeal quickly became ease (and low cost) of drastically modifying the engine for a potential of darn near double the horsepower, for about 450$ total in parts/machining service... and a few hours of fun with the better half in the shop.

There are so many of these bikes out there that they can be found for next to nothing in fairly good shape. I found a `96 with like 22k miles on it in a barn that I'm really trying to get my hands on lol! It seems like these are starter bikes for a lot of folks and once they outgrow it, they let them sit.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:33:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Considering purchasing a used Suzuki S40

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.