Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New battery! (Read 118 times)
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
New battery!
11/03/17 at 08:44:53

FYI - Just a heads up to others.  I purchased my used Suzuki about a year ago and did have a few problems starting when cold (around 40 deg.) but I thought it was just my technique getting used to the bike.  It only did this about 3 or 4 times and only when down low about 40 degrees.  I even made sure the battery was fully charged.  What I didn't know that even when charged, the battery was producing lower and lower amperage as it got older and thus lower cranking speed!

Yesterday, I purchased a new battery, and WOW, what a difference!  It actually cranks the engine over about 2x the speed that the original battery did.  I expect that this should solve my starting issues when cold.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Re: New battery!
Reply #1 - 11/03/17 at 10:28:44

They say a battery has lost about 20% of its cranking capacity at 32 degrees, where CCA are measured.  Oil weight is also a consideration, as it gets thicker.  I was going try T6 this winter because of its 5W winter rating, but now its under scrutiny. Undecided

IP Logged
zipidachimp
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

surrey, b.c.
Reply #2 - 11/03/17 at 13:00:08

is this new battery wet, gel or agm ?  I bought a wet cell last year and charge it off the bike at least twice a season.  gel or agm may have better performance. Cool

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 11/03/17 at 13:03:21

The winter rating is measured at some god awful -temp that no self respecting cyclist would ride in.
There is no specified room temp pour rating that most oils are relatively the same.

WWW   IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #4 - 11/03/17 at 14:09:32

SALB wrote on 11/03/17 at 10:28:44:
They say a battery has lost about 20% of its cranking capacity at 32 degrees, where CCA are measured.  Oil weight is also a consideration, as it gets thicker.  I was going try T6 this winter because of its 5W winter rating, but now its under scrutiny. Undecided

------------
BTW, I found out via an email to Pennzoil (they have a new natural-gas based oil that is supposed to be the greatest since cotton candy) who is now owned by Shell that the T6 is also based upon the same natural-gas base.  That is what I am switching to!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #5 - 11/03/17 at 14:20:28

My bike would crank at the same speed (pretty slow as compared to my current new battery) but would "run out of gas" much earlier in the cold weather.  This new one really cranks it over.  Got up this morning (about 55 deg) which was pretty warm compared to the 40-45 degrees of last week ad the bike cranked and almost instantly started.

IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 11/03/17 at 14:37:29

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 11/03/17 at 14:09:32:

------------
BTW, I found out via an email to Pennzoil (they have a new natural-gas based oil that is supposed to be the greatest since cotton candy) who is now owned by Shell that the T6 is also based upon the same natural-gas base.  That is what I am switching to!

Most all synthetics use a natural gas base anymore.  The problem with the new T6 was the possibility of too much moly and not being wet clutch friendly anymore.  Still waiting for more clarification before I go ahead. Undecided

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 11/03/17 at 15:07:50

SALB wrote on 11/03/17 at 14:37:29:
piedmontbuckeye wrote on 11/03/17 at 14:09:32:

------------

Most all synthetics use a natural gas base anymore.  The problem with the new T6 was the possibility of too much moly and not being wet clutch friendly anymore.  Still waiting for more clarification before I go ahead. Undecided

=============
I don't think that is true - that most synthetics are based on Natural Gas - only ones I know are the T6 & the Pennzoil.  This is relatively new for sythetics.  But, I could be wrong!

According to the Pennzoil/Shell tech, the Shell IS acceptable for wet clutches AND has a high ZDDP level (2,000 ppm as I remember).

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 11/03/17 at 17:09:31

Nope.....not 2,000 ppm ZDDP - it is 1,200 ppm ZDDP.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #9 - 11/03/17 at 19:01:21

Yes, 1200, which is good, right?  2000 would be too much.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 11/04/17 at 14:55:22

Dave wrote on 11/03/17 at 17:09:31:
Nope.....not 2,000 ppm ZDDP - it is 1,200 ppm ZDDP.

Yup.  You are correct, 1,200 it was.  I remember now that I hear the correct number.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #11 - 11/05/17 at 03:40:43

Use of oil with more than 1,400 ppm of ZDDP is supposed to do long term damage in an engine.

I am beginning to believe that for those of us who are boosting the 1,200 ppm up to 1,400 ppm - maybe the extra ZDDP additive should not be added immediately.....perhaps it would be better to wait until somewhere in in the middle of the oil change interval.

« Last Edit: 11/05/17 at 04:51:33 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #12 - 11/05/17 at 05:00:52

Dave wrote on 11/05/17 at 03:40:43:
Use of oil with more than 1,400 ppm of ZDDP is supposed to do long term damage in an engine.

I am beginning to believe that for those of us who are boosting the 1,200 ppm up to 1,400 ppm - maybe the extra ZDDP additive should not be added immediately.....perhaps it would be better to wait until somewhere in in the middle of the oil change interval.

==============
Sounds right.  Especially if there is a breakdown over time, adding it later will put fresh in in the middle of the oil changes.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 11/05/17 at 07:48:37

Multigrade oils drop in viscosity when cold.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:25:16

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New battery!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.