Gas Mileage (Read 250 times)
Kris01
Serious Thumper

Eat, sleep, RIDE!

Tennessee
Re: Gas Mileage
Reply #15 - 10/05/17 at 18:56:18

piedmontbuckeye wrote on 09/29/17 at 14:46:04:
I also carry along two 32oz. Gatorade bottles of gas in my left saddlebag.  That gives me an extra 1/2 gallon in an emergency.

Careful you don't get stopped and searched. That's actually illegal to carry gas in an unapproved container.

There's no problem that a full tank of gas and a sunny day can't fix!

2008 S40, Rotella T 15W-40 w/ZDDP added, Dyna, 140/90-15, Battery Tender Jr., Seat lift, #52.5/150/3 washers, Raptor
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #16 - 10/06/17 at 06:11:50

Kris01 wrote on 10/05/17 at 18:56:18:
piedmontbuckeye wrote on 09/29/17 at 14:46:04:
I also carry along two 32oz. Gatorade bottles of gas in my left saddlebag.  That gives me an extra 1/2 gallon in an emergency.

Careful you don't get stopped and searched. That's actually illegal to carry gas in an unapproved container.

Mine are approved!  I approved them!! Grin

Thanks for the input though!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #17 - 10/08/17 at 13:27:47

Gatorade bottles sound a bit scary to me ,although I am guilty of similar illegal activities . I prefer aluminum water bottles ,with a couple of rounds of electrician 's tape as a bit of backup sealing around the filler plug.I think these may be a bit safer in any mishap .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #18 - 10/11/17 at 13:54:07

batman wrote on 10/08/17 at 13:27:47:
Gatorade bottles sound a bit scary to me ,although I am guilty of similar illegal activities . I prefer aluminum water bottles ,with a couple of rounds of electrician 's tape as a bit of backup sealing around the filler plug.I think these may be a bit safer in any mishap .

I had gotten a couple of the aluminum bottles that some beers come in (I don't drink) and thought of using them.  I think they are similar to what you suggest.  However, I finally went with the plastic bottles as plastic will expand and contract a bit which gasoline requires - aluminum bottles won't.

I have carried them many miles and never had to use them except for my test of my miles after filling to reserve, and my miles after switching to reserve to empty -just so I know mileage-wise were I stand with gas.

The plastic bottles seem to work fine with no leakage or anything.

Cheap insurance to help make sure I don't run out of gas!

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #19 - 10/11/17 at 14:15:17

I have to say that there really isn't any good way to carry a "bomb" on a motor cycle. My water bottle cheat isn't perfect it turns out that the plastic plug swells over time comes out a bit hard,(but doesn't leak) but makes it a one time use only ,because it wont go back in.There are fuel bottles sold that would be a better bet, but I do wonder if gas in your bottles might interact with the plastic and also weaken it over time as most plastics are produced from petroleum .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #20 - 10/11/17 at 14:22:08

I have one of these. Haven't used it yet though as I just recently got it.

msr_bottles_trio_540x.jpg

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #21 - 10/11/17 at 14:25:22

stewmills wrote on 10/11/17 at 14:22:08:
I have one of these. Haven't used it yet though as I just recently got it.

Cool!!  What are their sizes?  Any at least a quart?

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #22 - 10/11/17 at 14:47:45

11 oz, 20oz, 30oz.  I got the 20oz because the 30oz is too large for my saddlebag. Not a lot of fuel, but enough to cripple me into a safe place if needed.

20oz was only $20.  30oz was $25.  Not terribly expensive.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:34:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Gas Mileage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.