Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Knocking/Clacking - Lower End? (Read 1147 times)
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?
Reply #90 - 01/04/18 at 12:55:09

Dave wrote on 01/03/18 at 05:34:02:
The Heli Coil is not pressed in.  First the existing threads are drilled out with a 1/4" diameter drill.  Then a special tap is used to cut new threads in the aluminum, then a tool is used to thread the insert in place.  The insert is supposed to lock itself into the hole - I use a very small amount of threadlocker just to be sure.

Since the engine has run so little - the gaskets may not be stuck to anything and you might get away with using them again if they are not damaged in any way.  If the rubber sealing washers were new.....I would certainly use them again.

If you find somebody local that can install the heli-coil - I can sell you one of the 18mm long inserts to use.

Alright well I have a guy I've been using for machining around here. I just need to bring the coil and cylinder to him. When I was torquing the head cover on, the 125 bolt had resistance as well, so I'm going to be safe instead of sorry. How much would you want for 2 of the long coils?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #91 - 01/04/18 at 13:16:48

Your technique needs refined.
Bolts don't strip on their own.
Torque in stages. Instead of the torque wrench, Start with a ratchet, firm up every bolt, run the pattern, back and forth, pulling it together square and even. Once you start feeling it coming tight, switch to the torqu
e wrench.Don't shoot for the high end of the torque range.
Feel of the bolt. It will change how it feels when the
Clamping Force gets up around where it needs to be.
It's easier to fix a leak
Than wrecked threads.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #92 - 01/04/18 at 13:27:10

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 01/04/18 at 13:16:48:
Your technique needs refined.
Bolts don't strip on their own.
Torque in stages. Start with a ratchet, firm up every bolt, run the pattern, back and forth, pulling it together square and even. Don't shoot for the high end of the torque range.
Feel of the bolt. It will change how it feels when the
Clamping Force gets up around where it needs to be.
It's easier to fix a leak
Than wrecked threads.

I don't think I was clear, it was stiff at finger tightness with oiled threads to the point that it stuck out almost an inch. All of the other bolts went in smoothly and tightened correctly in a pattern accords the head, these 2 are the only ones that had issues. I managed ti tighten 125 to the lower end of the torque range, but the tightness at the beginning has me worried so I would rather reinforce it now then get in there and figure out I needed to do it anyway, ya know? At worst, I spent a few dollars for piece of mind.
I mean I know I didn't do a perfect job, but I feel like overall it went smoothly save for those 2 bolts.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #93 - 01/04/18 at 13:40:49

A bolt showing those signs is screaming
Something isn't right.
Nothing gets tightened with a wrench until every bolt is in , finger tight.
Something is misaligned, wrong bolt, garbage in a hole, damaged threads, something is wrong and needs figured out before a wrench goes into it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 21:23:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.