Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Knocking/Clacking - Lower End? (Read 1147 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?
Reply #60 - 10/26/17 at 14:29:53

Looked normal to me, you'll get a lot more if the rings are bad.

WWW   IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #61 - 10/27/17 at 10:25:24

verslagen1 wrote on 10/26/17 at 14:29:53:
Looked normal to me, you'll get a lot more if the rings are bad.

So just to be sure, none of those pictures have anything that jumps out as abnormal? Then I suppose I'll PM Dave to rent those tools haha.

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #62 - 11/03/17 at 14:22:22

https://imgur.com/gallery/zUE45
A closer view of the cylinder and the rotor. Can't quite check the flywheel nut because of the silly woodruff key. Ill work more on getting that out tonite before or after work.

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #63 - 11/05/17 at 15:50:57

And I think this is the conclusion of this excitement for me.

https://imgur.com/gallery/qwqG3

Got the woodruff key out and took a look and what do you know, but the nut that secures the flywheel to the shaft was definitely not 100ft-lbs tight. I was able to spin it off with 1 finger. I posted the pictures in case there was any damage to the parts, but I didn't see anything. I will be ordering the gaskets/nuts/bolts that I need to get this thing back together and purring. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to remove that damaged headbolt?

IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #64 - 11/05/17 at 17:04:14

Did you end up renting the tools for the fly wheel? Or did you just buy some? I need to check this out on my bike.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #65 - 11/07/17 at 12:01:24

TheNaughtyLemur wrote on 11/05/17 at 17:04:14:
Did you end up renting the tools for the fly wheel? Or did you just buy some? I need to check this out on my bike.

I rented them from Dave! I'm going to get some permanent thread locker to make sure this doesn't happen again.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #66 - 11/07/17 at 13:19:07

This is the 3rd engine on this forum that had a knock for a loose flywheel nut.

Mine was the 1st and it started making a ticking noise at 400 miles, I tore is down at 1,000 miles as the noise was horrendous.

The 2nd one was listed as a "parts bike" with an engine knock....he didn't discover the loose flywheel nut until he tore the engine apart to sell in pieces.

Clean the oil off the threads on the shaft and the nut, install the curved washer with the inside edge bowing out, apply permanent thread locker to the nut and torque it down to the recommended torque value....then put the rest of the engine back together.  Then go riding and don't worry about it anymore....I have 9,000 miles since I did mine, and I took it apart to put a lighter flywheel on a few months ago....and the nut was still tight and holding fine.

This was the first time I rented out the tools - as I suspected the cheapest the tools can be mailed is the Medium USPS Flat Rate box.....and it is currently $ 13.60 each way!  Trying to mail it in a smaller more compact box resulted in a cost of more than $20 each way!

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #67 - 11/09/17 at 02:52:12

Could be 4 on forum.

Mine would occasionally make a similar noise when I accelerated hard in upper gears.  Sometimes but not always.  If I keep rpms and hard acceleration down I don't hear it.

I need to dig into the engine this winter anyways to deal with the timing chain take up so will check this out at the same time.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #68 - 11/09/17 at 03:48:58

sandmanred wrote on 11/09/17 at 02:52:12:
Could be 4 on forum.

Mine would occasionally make a similar noise when I accelerated hard in upper gears.  Sometimes but not always.

That does not sound like a loose flywheel to me.  The loose flywheel sound is loudest at low rpm (idle) where the power pulses are the most erratic......and the sound diminishes as the rpm builds.  When cruising along down the highway at 4,000 rpm the sound pretty much goes away.  The loose flywheel sound is not affected by hard acceleration - it is most severe at low rpm.

The sound you are describing sounds more like pre-ignition or detonation.  It occurs most often at full throttle and can be a sign of poor fuel, a lean fuel mixture, excessive carbon deposits in the cylinder....or using full throttle at low rpm (lugging the engine).

You might try running some Chevron Techron though the bike to reduce the amount of carbon in the cylinder.  You can buy it at most places that sell auto products - including Big Box stores.
http://www.techron.com/

IP Logged
sandmanred

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #69 - 11/09/17 at 14:37:43

Dave wrote on 11/09/17 at 03:48:58:
sandmanred wrote on 11/09/17 at 02:52:12:
Could be 4 on forum.

Mine would occasionally make a similar noise when I accelerated hard in upper gears.  Sometimes but not always.

That does not sound like a loose flywheel to me.  The loose flywheel sound is loudest at low rpm (idle) where the power pulses are the most erratic......and the sound diminishes as the rpm builds.  When cruising along down the highway at 4,000 rpm the sound pretty much goes away.  The loose flywheel sound is not affected by hard acceleration - it is most severe at low rpm.

The sound you are describing sounds more like pre-ignition or detonation.  It occurs most often at full throttle and can be a sign of poor fuel, a lean fuel mixture, excessive carbon deposits in the cylinder....or using full throttle at low rpm (lugging the engine).

You might try running some Chevron Techron though the bike to reduce the amount of carbon in the cylinder.  You can buy it at most places that sell auto products - including Big Box stores.
http://www.techron.com/

Your explanation makes more sense.  Bike is done for the winter but fuel was fresh high octane.  It has around 9000 miles.  When I pulled the exhaust off the pipe was tan/brown on the inside.  However it looks like the choke pull was stuck slightly open even when off due to PO poor assembly of carb so carbon build up sounds possible.

IP Logged
TheNaughtyLemur

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #70 - 11/10/17 at 14:26:45

Steph wrote on 11/05/17 at 15:50:57:

Got the woodruff key out and took a look and what do you know, but the nut that secures the flywheel to the shaft was definitely not 100ft-lbs tight. I was able to spin it off with 1 finger. I posted the pictures in case there was any damage to the parts, but I didn't see anything. I will be ordering the gaskets/nuts/bolts that I need to get this thing back together and purring. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to remove that damaged headbolt?

How in the hell did you get the woodruff key out? Ive tried tapping on it with a screwdriver/hammer, grabbing it with pliers, and heating it and letting it cool multiple times and it just will not come out.

06 Suzuki S40 - 140/90-15 Rear Tyre - Raptor Petcock - MAC 2" Header and Exhaust Kit
  IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #71 - 11/10/17 at 14:34:28

TheNaughtyLemur wrote on 11/10/17 at 14:26:45:
Steph wrote on 11/05/17 at 15:50:57:

How in the hell did you get the woodruff key out? Ive tried tapping on it with a screwdriver/hammer, grabbing it with pliers, and heating it and letting it cool multiple times and it just will not come out.

A pair of cutting pliers and PB blaster were the only things that worked for me. I'll need to lightly file my key,  but they didn't do much damage at all. Just grab and do small pulls away from the crankshaft. Avoid using the shaft as leverage.

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #72 - 11/12/17 at 10:26:24

https://imgur.com/gallery/MwQEn

Alright so this is probably the last post I'll put in this thread until it is running all nice and pretty again, but I need to be sure. I took the cylinder off in preparation of installing the new piston from Lancer and I got a little concerned. The piston itself seems fine, although from what I'm reading in the manual I'm not positive.  It slides back and forth on the pin, but it doesn't slide off at least.

The top of the crankshaft halves seem to be heavily worn. It looks like they were rubbing up against something, but for the life of me I can't see or imagine what. The picture in the manual has a similar set of marks on the two halves, but I'm not positive if it's supposed to be like that and all of the pictures I find online are too low quality to confirm. Does it look fine or is that excessive and should be investigated? It just looks so concerning.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #73 - 11/12/17 at 12:09:40

Maybe the counter balancer has caused the damaged , look at that.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #74 - 11/12/17 at 12:53:59

The crankshaft does have all kinds of weird colors and marks on it....they come that way.  One half of the crank is always much darker than the other side.  If you are in doubt.....go to eBay and look at the photos of the cranks that are for sale.

The piston pin is held in by very small spring clips that are made of thin wire (lightness is a benefit in the piston).  You have to get a small screwdriver in there to get them out.....and you can rotate them so the wire is over the small groove.  These thingys really like to fly.....so do your best to block the trajectory!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 23:15:24

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.