Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Knocking/Clacking - Lower End? (Read 1147 times)
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?
Reply #15 - 09/30/17 at 04:22:35

The Medium sized USPS Flat Rate box is $17.15 - I don't know if they can be shipped at a lower cost.....because of the weight.

The rental rate is $20, with shipping cost both ways.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #16 - 10/03/17 at 15:20:11

Alright so I ran a compression test and tried my best to see into the cylinder. I didn't see much, although the sides could be scored, I am not sure. I took some pictures, and recorded 2 videos in an attempt to get the best images. Can anyone see anything in particular?
https://youtu.be/2ImIII4rN30
https://youtu.be/ArwfUhM6l3g
For the compression test, it came out to 120 while cold, maybe a little more. So  it seems that I have compression at least. The spark plug looked decent as well. Would you still lean towards possible piston damage or would you lean towards the flywheel before that?

171003_120238.jpg
  IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #17 - 10/03/17 at 15:22:10

Here is the spark plug, just in case.
https://i.imgur.com/BNlzOQF.jpg

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #18 - 10/06/17 at 20:45:53

Obligatory 10th post so I can PM Dave.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 10/06/17 at 22:02:39

Are yew a Syontist or do you just like Syonts?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #20 - 10/06/17 at 22:04:51

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/06/17 at 22:02:39:
Are yew a Syontist or do you just like Syonts?

First initial, last name actually

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 10/06/17 at 22:34:34

Never would have guessed that.
What part of the world would that be a common name?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #22 - 10/06/17 at 22:40:19

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/06/17 at 22:34:34:
Never would have guessed that.
What part of the world would that be a common name?

The last name is actually German apparently. Or rather, a misspelling of German. It isn't really common anywhere though haha.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #23 - 10/07/17 at 06:43:40

My name's Parker, so I figure a Long, LONG time ago some dude was parking wagons out in front of some place he couldn't afford to go into..

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #24 - 10/08/17 at 18:39:48

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/07/17 at 06:43:40:
My name's Parker, so I figure a Long, LONG time ago some dude was parking wagons out in front of some place he couldn't afford to go into..

Haha I like to imagine things like that sometimes, doesn't really work for my name though.
And I have a video that more clearly shows the sound. I can't actually hear this, the video caught it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IEmX96Xx3A&feature=share
Any and all suggestions on where to start would be appreciated. I'm dedicated to fixing this one way or another, I would just like a point in the right direction!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #25 - 10/08/17 at 19:17:33

I dunno what is making that racket, but it sounds ugly.
Have you used a rod against different places against the bone in front of your ear?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #26 - 10/09/17 at 11:11:27

I can't tell much about where the noise is coming from through my computer speakers - it is the kind of thing that requires you to be with the engine to diagnose.

I guess you need to take something apart and start looking.  You can take the left and right side engine covers off and inspect the flywheel and can chain tensioner..........or maybe take off the head cover and see what the cam and rockers look like.  Anything beyond that and you need to pull the engine out of the frame.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 10/09/17 at 12:56:10

Have you used a rod against different places against the bone in front of your ear?

I grabbed a stethoscope the wife was throwing out, popped the end off and stuck a rod in.
It can be done without a stethoscope, and you can get a mechanics stethoscope.

I'd pull the decorative stuff off the head and see what y you can hear down the cylinder. Try to finnd the loudest spot. Feel for a bump when it clacks.
Wouldn't be surprised if it's the crank nut.
Having a bad time with connection.. sry.

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #28 - 10/19/17 at 10:58:13

Dave wrote on 10/09/17 at 11:11:27:
I can't tell much about where the noise is coming from through my computer speakers - it is the kind of thing that requires you to be with the engine to diagnose.

I guess you need to take something apart and start looking.  You can take the left and right side engine covers off and inspect the flywheel and can chain tensioner..........or maybe take off the head cover and see what the cam and rockers look like.  Anything beyond that and you need to pull the engine out of the frame.

Alright, I made an assumption that I would end up pulling the engine and decided to just start with that. I figured it is good experience, and now I can bring it to a mechanic if I get stuck and save considerably on labor at least. I pulled the head cover off and took a look around, could you tell me if you see anything?
https://imgur.com/a/8tH1I
The only thing that jumped out at me was the last picture there, which is the cause of my oil leak apparently. I didn't even know that there was supposed to be a nut there, I just assumed it was the tail end of a bolt from the inside of the engine.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #29 - 10/19/17 at 12:13:19

There isn't any oil in the well under the cam.....as you tipped and moved the engine around getting it out of the bike.

The cam/rockers/bearings all look fine - there were not the source of any knocking noise.

The black marks are likely just paint or marker from a factory worker showing the parts was completed at their work station.

The missing nut does hold the front of the head tight, and oil can weep around the head gasket layers and ooze out this spot.  It is a slow weep and does not affect the oil system.  Get the right nut - it is a flanged nut with a smooth bottom - get the factory part.  Clean up the stud and put a little sealant on the threads and bottom of the nut when you install it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 21:19:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.