Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Knocking/Clacking - Lower End? (Read 1147 times)
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?
09/28/17 at 13:30:22

So I have been having this issue and I am at a loss as to whether I can actually fix it or not. I'll start from the beginning.
On September 17th, I started my bike at work and headed home. When I got to an intersection, I noticed a loud clacking/knocking sound coming from my bike over my earplugs. When I got home, I took out my plugs and it was incredibly loud. So I stopped riding it.
I dropped and checked the oil - it was still within the sights and not low, and there was no noticeable metal in the oil. I attempted to check the valves, but I honestly couldn't figure out exactly how to get the feeler gauges in to read (And I couldn't get the timing cover off either) so I took it to a shop to have them adjust it. I want to note that while driving it to the shop, I noticed absolutely no change in power or response - it's just loud. The biggest thing I could see was that at least it was oily so the head was seemingly getting properly lubed. He said the exhaust valves were tight, intake were loose, he "set decompression lever cable freeplay", replaced the tappet cover o-rings, and "checked that the flywheel rotor is tight".
The sound is still happening, so I got a stethoscope and tried to listen to where the sound was coming from. I might be misunderstanding this, but I could hear the sound all the way up the cylinder. It was noticeably louder towards the bottom. When I had it in front of the starter motor, it seemed to be absolutely the loudest. But, at the same time the sound was clearer towards the top of the cylinder on the right hand side of the bike.
Here is a video of the sound, although since it was taken on my phone it is a little difficult to hear. https://youtu.be/a3AB8_z7too
The mechanic I had taken it to said "motor sounds like bottom end rod or crank bearing," and that it would be cheaper to just replace the engine. I am not positive that he is right though and any opinions would be amazingly well appreciated. I want to try my best to fix this.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Re: Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?
Reply #1 - 09/28/17 at 14:26:10

What is the year and mileage of your bike?  

It is very likely the cam chain tensioner about to break loose and detonate your bottom end to shards. I'd stop running it and take a look at the cam chain adjuster and see if it's about to drop out. If so, you have just barely avoided a catastrophe.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #2 - 09/28/17 at 14:54:21

I forgot to mention that, thank you. It is a 2011, a little over 15,250 miles. I swapped the cam chain adjuster for a verslavy at around 12,000 miles. So it seems unlikely it is the adjuster. I also run Rotella T6 in it, changing oil between 2-3,000 miles with the filter being swapped every other time.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #3 - 09/28/17 at 15:14:03

Oh no something wants out , don't start it again , drain the oil into clean pan and see if there is metal in the oil !
Then check warranty and/or bank balance !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/28/17 at 15:32:49

Steph wrote on 09/28/17 at 13:30:22:
I dropped and checked the oil - it was still within the sights and not low, and there was no noticeable metal in the oil. I attempted to check the valves, but I honestly couldn't figure out exactly how to get the feeler gauges in to read (And I couldn't get the timing cover off either) so I took it to a shop to have them adjust it. I want to note that while driving it to the shop, I noticed absolutely no change in power or response - it's just loud. The biggest thing I could see was that at least it was oily so the head was seemingly getting properly lubed. He said the exhaust valves were tight, intake were loose, he "set decompression lever cable freeplay", replaced the tappet cover o-rings, and "checked that the flywheel rotor is tight".
The mechanic I had taken it to said "motor sounds like bottom end rod or crank bearing," and that it would be cheaper to just replace the engine. I am not positive that he is right though and any opinions would be amazingly well appreciated. I want to try my best to fix this.

Yes, I agree, any work you have a mechanic do to fix this, it will be cheaper to replace the engine.
He can not check the flywheel nut without removing the stator cover, rotor and starter clutch.
The bottom end on these things is nearly bullet proof.

I did buy a bike with a similar noise and found a burnt piston.
So my guess is it's piston related, either burnt piston or piston slap.

My brother said about the same thing about it as your mech.

You might be able to see a burnt piston by looking at it thru the sparkplug hole with a borescope.

WWW   IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 09/28/17 at 16:32:41

verslagen1 wrote on 09/28/17 at 15:32:49:
Steph wrote on 09/28/17 at 13:30:22:

Yes, I agree, any work you have a mechanic do to fix this, it will be cheaper to replace the engine.
He can not check the flywheel nut without removing the stator cover, rotor and starter clutch.
The bottom end on these things is nearly bullet proof.

I did buy a bike with a similar noise and found a burnt piston.
So my guess is it's piston related, either burnt piston or piston slap.

My brother said about the same thing about it as your mech.

You might be able to see a burnt piston by looking at it thru the sparkplug hole with a borescope.

I wasn't planning on using a mechanic to fix this. If it is a burnt piston, what would it look like? I'm going to get a cheapo endoscope from Amazon and take a look when I can. If that ends up being the case, what would be the solution? Replace the piston? I think I could do that, but I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined. The most I've done was swap the tensioner and change a radiator on a car.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #6 - 09/28/17 at 19:34:24

Steph wrote on 09/28/17 at 16:32:41:
I wasn't planning on using a mechanic to fix this. If it is a burnt piston, what would it look like? I'm going to get a cheapo endoscope from Amazon and take a look when I can. If that ends up being the case, what would be the solution? Replace the piston? I think I could do that, but I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined. The most I've done was swap the tensioner and change a radiator on a car.

It might not look like anything or there'll be a piece of the piston missing.

A bore job and a new piston

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #7 - 09/28/17 at 21:54:25

These bikes are incredibly simple to wrench on.
You don't even really need any special tools to pull the motor and tear the top end down. There are even youtube videos of top end tear down of the ls650 motor. If you don't already have one... I strongly suggest picking up a Clymer manual.

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #8 - 09/28/17 at 22:13:10

I do have a Clymer's manual, the pictures can just be a little vague sometimes.
I'll start tomorrow with a compression test and go forward from there. Although since it hasn't lost any power, I'm assuming that won't tell me very much. I'll also order a cheap little endoscope to check out my piston to the best I can.
So I suppose I have 3 main questions then. Am I able to do this kind of work with the engine in the frame? If not, do I need to drain the oil to remove it from the frame? And where might I buy a new piston? I'm having trouble finding any online to get a rough estimate on price of that is indeed the problem.
Thank you guys so much, this is a helpful starting point and I think I'm a little more confident moving forward.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 09/28/17 at 22:37:06

You'll need to pull the engine.
http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/detail/suzuki/12100-24b00-050/b1039128?m=...
$118 make sure you get the right size as you might need an oversized piston to account for wear.
or contact lancer and get a big bore cylinder and piston set.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #10 - 09/29/17 at 03:54:32

My engine developed a horrible clank - it started as a tick when the bike had 400 miles on it and it became horrible by 1,000 miles on it.   It was worse at idle, as the rpm increased it smoothed out.  When idling around town folks a 1/4 block away would look to see what the horrible racket was.

It turned out to be a loose flywheel nut.....and would have been a relatively cheap and easy fix if I had known what to check.  The flywheel nut is behind the rotor.......and it requires pulling the rotor and starter gear, and a deep 46mm socket to check it.  I suspect your mechanic at the dealer only checked the bolt on the end of the crankshaft that can be checked by removing the threaded timing inspection cover - checking the flywheel nut requires removing the left engine side cover, removing the rotor (puller required), removing the starter gear, and then checking the tightness of the flywheel nut (46mm deep socket, torque wrench and flywheel holder required).

Before you take the engine out of the frame.....I would really suggest you get this nut checked properly.  The noise if very much like you describe, it is evasive to pinpoint as the noise is dissipated through the crankshaft, into the bearings, then into the engine case.....it rattles in a way that cannot be isolated by listening outside the engine.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #11 - 09/29/17 at 05:57:37

It is not absolutely necessary to drain the oil before pulling the motor.
I drained the oil from mine AFTER I pulled it by taking the left side engine cover off and laying the engine on its side on top of a 5 gallon bucket to drain(Make sure you secure the clutch pin from falling into your drain bucket by putting it in a safe place). Cracking it open before draining the oil will likely lead to a slippery mess. The motor is heavy... but not unmanageable.

I did not notice any loss of power when my piston and cylinder tried to become one with each other... just the slappy knock. My compression was at 87psi and there was no noticeable loss of power!

Sometimes you just can't see what failed until you tear into it.
The picture is of my piston with only 4,150 miles on the bike.

zookpistonwtf_001.jpg
  IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #12 - 09/29/17 at 13:39:21

I will run the compression test and look inside the cylinder when the camera comes in, either Monday or Tuesday. Looking at Clymers, it says that compression should be between 145-203psi, so is that how you knew you were in trouble?
I remember reading your flywheel issue before and you're right, it could be that I suppose. Considering the rarity, it would be just my luck that it happened to me too. Don't you need a special tool to remove the rotor and starter gear? Where would I get such a tool and what would it be called? And how deep of a socket are you talking? That also leads back to the issue I was having where I could not remove the timing cover. Maybe I should just buy a cheap crowbar that fits the slot, I don't know. Grin

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 09/29/17 at 13:53:53

Here is a photo of the tools you need.  I can rent mine to you with a deposit - the problem is they are heavy and shipping is a bit pricey.

The 46mm deep socket that I have provides 2-3/4" of depth - I don't know if you need that much room.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Steph
YaBB Newbies

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #14 - 09/29/17 at 19:28:09

Dave wrote on 09/29/17 at 13:53:53:
Here is a photo of the tools you need.  I can rent mine to you with a deposit - the problem is they are heavy and shipping is a bit pricey.

The 46mm deep socket that I have provides 2-3/4" of depth - I don't know if you need that much room.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2ljktg1.jpg

What would you think shipping would run to AZ then, if you don't mind guessing?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 19:20:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Knocking/Clacking - Lower End?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.