Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Replacing Stator Question? (Read 189 times)
Lucky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Replacing Stator Question?
09/18/17 at 11:48:33

I'm new here, and apologize for not doing an intro.... but I'm trying to get my g/f's 2000 Savage going.

Do you have to remove the Pulley and belt like Clymer says, to replace the stator, or will the side cover come off the engine with the pulley still in place?

Thanks, and any tips or tricks to changing the stator would be appreciated as well.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Replacing Stator Question?
Reply #1 - 09/18/17 at 11:50:41

I recently put in a lighter flywheel that Armen machined, and I didn't take off the pulley or belt when I removed the side cover......however the wires do go behind the pulley as they exit the case - it might be easier with the pulley removed.

« Last Edit: 09/18/17 at 14:36:24 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Lucky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/18/17 at 11:57:18

Thanks dave

IP Logged
Lucky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/18/17 at 15:16:56

Update, didn't need to take anything extra off!  GREAT SUCCESS!  Clymer sometimes makes things much harder than they need to be....

IP Logged
Lucky
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/24/17 at 10:45:36

Ok, new question.

New battery
New Stator
New Voltage Regulator/rectifier

Still will not put out more that 13V at any rpm, struggles to get to 13V actually.  Put old regulator back on, same result!  

What else am I missing?  Please help, I'm getting super frustrated, I've never had this much trouble on any other bike!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #5 - 09/24/17 at 12:45:38

Try a different meter and double check connections,battery & grounds & at starter relay/selenoid

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #6 - 09/24/17 at 13:07:25

It could be a bad ignition switch. I've seen this problem before and was surprised when I found out it was the switch.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #7 - 09/24/17 at 23:11:31

Lucky wrote on 09/24/17 at 10:45:36:
Still will not put out more that 13V at any rpm, struggles to get to 13V actually.  Put old regulator back on, same result!

I had a similar issue recently on GS500, there were two problems, 1 was my cheapo multimeter, it was not reliable. Bought a Fluke 101 (the cheapest available for 50 bucks) which already improved my ability to confidently diagnose stator problems.

2nd problem that was causing the issues was simply the connector plugs. They were in good condition with no corrosion, nevertheless disconnecting and spraying with contact cleaner fixed everything, including the main problem of reaching 14V at 2500rpm then gradually dropping to 13V as i reached 5,000 rpm.

MAGA! Make the Assholes Go Away
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 09/25/17 at 12:10:40

It may be that your testing wrong ! You should be unplugging the three wire connector (yellow wires) going from the alternator to the voltage regulator and testing for AC volts-3 tests between each of two of the wires,@ 5,000 rpm ,you should be reading 100 volts AC.        When you test for DC volts across the battery ,the reading you get depends on many factors, rpm, battery charge, how long you run the bike, if you remembered to turn on the high beam ,and how long you took to start the motor. Finding the DC voltage dropping across the battery as you test at higher rpms may just be the regulator doing it's job.13 volts may seem low ,but it's still higher than a new fully charged battery will read at rest(usually 12.2-12.4)

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #9 - 09/25/17 at 20:10:10

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 09/26/17 at 11:51:34

Anything over battery voltage(12.3) is enough to charge the battery. Why not do a test ?let the bike sit overnight ,check the battery voltage before starting,take it for a ride 50-100 miles,park it over night and test voltage again ,if it's the same your golden.If not I'll concede you have a problem.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 09/26/17 at 12:07:15

IOW, if the battery tests good and it keeps a charge being ridden regularly, is there a problem?
What problem are you solving and what troubleshooting steps led you to it?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
eau de sauvage
Serious Thumper

Queensland
Reply #12 - 09/26/17 at 23:38:47

@Batman, if you have a new battery fully charged and healthy reading say 12.7 with the static charge drained, then turn on the electrics the voltage will drop .5V maybe .6 which needs to be taken into account.

A better test of the battery is to see how low the voltage goes when it cranks over.

@JoG, I can say from recent experience on my GS that it's had a crappy wet battery in it probably for 5 years and would turn over instantly and all that even after a few low levels. However I checked it a couple of months ago and to my horror all cells were uncovered a fair way, however I resurrected it to see what would happen and it came back as good as new...

It was always 12.6 after the static charge had drained and had enough cranking voltage to turn over instantly. So I just ignored it. Never hesitated to start, then two weeks later we went on a long ride, pulled over a couple of times to get petrol no problem, then later we turn down an interesting looking side rd. Stop for lunch, go to start the bike and it is completely dead, not a flicker of life, I was convinced it must be a fuse or electrical, until I saw the tiniest glimmer of an oil light.

Fortunately the local Suzuki store was only 20mins ride away and it was a public holiday the day before, so it was all good. But there's a warning of how an apparently good battery can be inches away from death. Had we been out the day before, then I would have been up shite creek, sans paddle as they say.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #13 - 09/27/17 at 13:04:41

EDS,I thought we were talking about the charging system not batteries, but while we're on the subject .Why do you think the water level in your battery was so low? could it be that your voltage regulator/rectifier is on it's way out,over charging your battery and "boiling " the water out ? 12.7 volts sounds awfully  high to me, 12.3 being the norm.I'd have it tested.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #14 - 09/27/17 at 14:00:55

batman wrote on 09/27/17 at 13:04:41:
EDS,I thought we were talking about the charging system not batteries, but while we're on the subject .Why do you think the water level in your battery was so low? could it be that your voltage regulator/rectifier is on it's way out,over charging your battery and "boiling " the water out ? 12.7 volts sounds awfully  high to me, 12.3 being the norm.I'd have it tested.

the voltage regulator/rectifier does not sense battery charge and reduce the voltage when the battery is full.  Any long ride is going to overcharge the battery.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:23:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Replacing Stator Question?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.