Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
chain and sprocket conversion (Read 167 times)
dutch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

chain and sprocket conversion
09/18/17 at 04:37:49

Hi all, I'm after a bit of advice. I am in the process of converting my cafe racer to a chain drive set up and ordered a 17/43 combo with a 110 chain. The parts have arrived and surprise surprise they have supplied a 15/43 pairing. My question is has anyone tried this combination and if so what did it perform like. My main reason for converting from belt to chain is to improve the overall speed of the bike as I find the standard set up a bit gutless. I will of course be letting the supplier know of their mistake but am wondering whether the sprockets supplied are worth keeping. Thanks

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: chain and sprocket conversion
Reply #1 - 09/18/17 at 05:16:44

The 15 tooth sprocket has a small diameter, and you most likely will have problems with the chain rubbing on the swing arm - especially if you have the long shocks that are used on the Cafe' conversions.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 09/18/17 at 05:30:17

I have an 18/52 on my bike and I still get some rubbing at extreme compression of the shocks. I think a 17 might be too small - and a 43 will make it worse. In fact, a 43 will make the bike feel down-right gutless. On paper it may seem as though a 17/43 will help to increase top speed, but the bike doesn't have the torque/power to make it happen. In the end you will have a slow bike that is maybe 2-5 mph faster than the bikes that left you for dead at the stop light. That, and in reality, how fast do you really think you'll be riding your cafe conversion that a 17/43 will be a good set-up?

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/18/17 at 06:28:21

I assume since you tried for a 17/43 - that you did find the Chain Conversion thread in the Technical Section.  The bike he used had stock shocks - so he did not have to deal with the angled swing arm like you will on your Cafe' bike.  (You listed a #120 chain......did you mean#520?).

The stock 23/68 (2.9565) ratio is about all the stock engine can handle to get top speed in high gear.  Changing ratios does allow for a more relaxed cruise speed - you may need to use the next lower gear if you want to find out what your top speed is.  The Kawasaki front pulley conversion is 25/68 (2.7200) and makes for very nice gearing without a noticeable loss of acceleration.  The 17/43 (2.5294) is pretty extreme, and is very close to the double Kawasaki pulley conversion 25/65 (2.600).  I doubt that a stock engine will pull the 17/43 very well (especially if you have also gone to a larger diameter 18" rear wheel), and the 18/52 (2.8889)that Gary_in_NJ used is likely a better ratio and will help prevent rubbing on the swing arm pivot.

IP Logged
dutch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/18/17 at 07:29:57

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I'm interested in anything anyone has to add.
I do have the larger diameter rear wheel and longer shock so your comments seem very relevant indeed. I spent a it of time reading the various threads on this subject prior to ordering parts but didn't really pick up on the rubbing issue or lack of improvement to performance tbh. I don't expect to be breaking any land-speed records but was lead to believe that there would be a noticeable improvement given what some of the other contributors had experienced.
I guess that I'll be returning the supplied parts as there seems no point in trialling them at all.
What I would still like to ask is has anyone with my set up done the conversion and if so what spec do you recommend?

Thanks again fellow savages

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #5 - 09/18/17 at 08:17:19

A gearing change will change how the bike responds in acceleration and upper speeds, and this seems to be where you are going with this.  You have not said anything about the state of your engine though, whether stock or modified, and if modified, what have you done ?
The engine is capable of improving torque and power, with the emphasis on torque.  This engine was designed and built as a torque machine, and you must keep that in mind when and if you make changes.  The top speed will not increase by much but the torque that can be produced adds a lot of satisfaction to the ride.  It is really a FUN RIDE.

IP Logged
dutch
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/18/17 at 11:30:21

Again good points, the engine is stock except the addition of a reverse cone muffler and a K&N air filter. My quest from the outset was to improve performance slightly as I find on long runs I sometimes feel another gear to change upto would be useful, if that makes any sense? It is an 07 5 speed by the way. Not looking for sports bike performance at all just a potential boost to whats available.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #7 - 09/18/17 at 21:32:55

Dave what ratio are you running ?

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 09/19/17 at 03:49:17

Ruttly wrote on 09/18/17 at 21:32:55:
Dave what ratio are you running ?

I am running a 25T Kawasaki front pulley, with a 65 Tooth Kawasaki rear pulley (2.6000), and a 130/70-18 tire on a 3.50-18 rim.  You really don't need 5th gear until you are over 60 mph.

It is a great combination when you get on rides that have highway commuting involved, as the engine just lopes along at 70 mph.  If I am riding on back roads I mostly just use 3rd and 4th gear.

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #9 - 09/19/17 at 10:09:52

Wow Dave that puppy has some long legs ! With a tail wind it might make 105 mph. You must have some stuff in that motor of yours.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #10 - 09/19/17 at 10:18:22

My last gearing was 17/54 3.176 , extremely quick at 308 lbs , but not much difference between 4th & 5th at 91 mph (with Ryca speedo) so who knows what actual speed was.

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #11 - 09/19/17 at 11:35:06

If you are using an 18" rear rim, the RYCA speedo reads about 10% slow, so you'd be right on the ton.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
old.indian
Serious Thumper

Fighting Foreign
Terrorism since 1492

Central New Mexico
Reply #12 - 09/19/17 at 11:44:19

I have the 17/43 conversion and 12" Intruder shocks.  No rubbing issues.    

Lectron carb, modified head, stage 3 cam, Wiseco piston, header and Dyna, Varsi's cam chain adjuster, head plug and drilled rotor, Tkat, 12" shocks and 17/43 chain conversion.EdL's 4"FCs
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/19/17 at 11:44:21

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 09/19/17 at 11:35:06:
If you are using an 18" rear rim, the RYCA speedo reads about 10% slow, so you'd be right on the ton.
-------------------------

Yikes!

If that's true, I can't believe I haven't been ticketed yet.  I've passed police doing more than 10-15 mph over on a few occasions.  I thought we were pretty accurate with the 2240:60 ratio.  

EDIT:  And everyone I get behind is going faster than I thought!  Smiley

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 09/19/17 at 12:16:09

Gary_in_NJ wrote on 09/19/17 at 11:35:06:

Yeah, 18" wheels and it sure felt like a ton or dang close to it ! But going back to 18/50 2.777 or 18/51 2.833 should have plenty o power to pull it !
I also added a chain tensioner to it , I have no chain slop !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:44:22

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain and sprocket conversion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.