juggaloscorpio
YaBB Newbies

Newbie On A
Mission!!!

Sherman, Tx
Newbie to the group
09/17/17 at 10:31:37

2006 Savage S40 with 12,881 miles

I recently bought it for $500(not running), i bought a battery and have put $200 in a carb clean/rebuild with new needle and seat. The shop told me the OEM petcock had a slight leak and overflowed into the crankcase(fixed when the carb got rebuilt). I just got done replacing the petcock with the yamaha raptor 660/vacuum delete. I also added an in-line fuel filter. I drained it yesterday and finished doing an oil change today along with a new oil filter(drained a little over a gallon of mostly gas out of the crankcase). It now starts and idles but it seems to want to die when I go to put it into first gear. Any suggestions on what to look at? Should I go ahead and put a new plug in it since I just got the gas and oil situations fixed(haven't checked the plug for fouling yet).

2006 Savage/LS650/S40/Boulevard 12,900
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Newbie to the group
Reply #1 - 09/17/17 at 10:38:42

If the sidestand is down its gonna die when you put it in gear.
The added fuel filter is liable to cause problems.
What oil did you use?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
juggaloscorpio
YaBB Newbies

Newbie On A
Mission!!!

Sherman, Tx
Reply #2 - 09/17/17 at 23:25:52

Valvoline 4 stroke for motocycles... I have asked my other biker guys about adding the zddp and got mixed opinions so I haven't done that yet... I am going to adjust the upper end of the valves soon and was thinking of changing the plug since it will be exposed anyways. I also have a mysterious leak coming from somewhere around the main cylinder body so that will be addressed at some point soon too.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #3 - 09/18/17 at 03:57:48

juggaloscorpio wrote on 09/17/17 at 23:25:52:
Valvoline 4 stroke for motocycles... I have asked my other biker guys about adding the zddp and got mixed opinions so I haven't done that yet....

Your other biker guys probably don't know anything about what the Savage engine needs to survive - this forum has years of experience and we know what is required to keep your Savage happy. Our recommendations are based on lots of cams/rockers ruined from running oil that has a low ZDDP level.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 09/18/17 at 15:50:09

Dump the oil.
Get Rotella 15-40.
No need to swap the filter.
Letting it idle on the sidestand starves the high end of the cam for oil.
Don't do that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
juggaloscorpio
YaBB Newbies

Newbie On A
Mission!!!

Sherman, Tx
Reply #5 - 09/19/17 at 11:10:55

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/18/17 at 15:50:09:
Letting it idle on the sidestand starves the high end of the cam for oil.
Don't do that.

I didn't realize this was an issue, I am a fresh newbie as this is my first bike but I have seen so many people just let their bikes idle while on the kickstand/sidestand. Is this because it is a single cylinder motor with low oil pressure?

IP Logged
juggaloscorpio
YaBB Newbies

Newbie On A
Mission!!!

Sherman, Tx
Reply #6 - 09/19/17 at 11:12:58

"Your other biker guys probably don't know anything about what the Savage engine needs to survive - this forum has years of experience and we know what is required to keep your Savage happy. Our recommendations are based on lots of cams/rockers ruined from running oil that has a low ZDDP level."

I would hate to just dump the $17 worth of new oil I just put in it, can I just add some zddp additive for now and get the Rotella 15-40 on next oil change? and I saw that there are 2 different types of Rotella 15-40, one is T3 and one is T4, which do I get?

IP Logged
juggaloscorpio
YaBB Newbies

Newbie On A
Mission!!!

Sherman, Tx
Reply #7 - 09/19/17 at 11:15:44

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/17/17 at 10:38:42:
If the sidestand is down its gonna die when you put it in gear. The added fuel filter is liable to cause problems.

I did as told not to do and didnt have it full on gas and that is why it was dying on me.... I am a dummy... and from what I can tell, the in-line filter isn't causing any flow restrictions or issues so far.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 09/19/17 at 11:46:49

juggaloscorpio wrote on 09/19/17 at 11:12:58:
"Your other biker guys probably don't know anything about what the Savage engine needs to survive - this forum has years of experience and we know what is required to keep your Savage happy. Our recommendations are based on lots of cams/rockers ruined from running oil that has a low ZDDP level."

I would hate to just dump the $17 worth of new oil I just put in it, can I just add some zddp additive for now and get the Rotella 15-40 on next oil change? and I saw that there are 2 different types of Rotella 15-40, one is T3 and one is T4, which do I get?

T4.

Valvoline is good oil... but you need to look up what is exactly in the one you got and that's the hard part.
T4 is the easy part, we know what's in it, a dash of this and it's great.
T6 was on the list, but they've added moly which is killing our clutches so it's off the list now.
You want to use that favor of valvoline, great, but check out the oil analysis or you'll be doing extra work.

WWW   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 09/19/17 at 12:04:30

juggaloscorpio wrote on 09/19/17 at 11:10:55:
I didn't realize this was an issue, I am a fresh newbie as this is my first bike but I have seen so many people just let their bikes idle while on the kickstand/sidestand. Is this because it is a single cylinder motor with low oil pressure?

There are 2 issues at work.  At idle the engine doesn't provide a lot of oil pressure or flow, and on the sidestand the camshaft is tilted with the oil input on the downhill side......it is believed that the small amount of flow doesn't make it uphill to the exhaust cam lobe and rocker.  You can get by with a little bit of this - but it seems folks who start their bike up in the winter to charge the battery and let it idle for 20-30 minutes......end up ruining their cams and rockers.  It is best to get on the bike, stand it upright, pull up the kickstand, turn on the key, and start the bike.  After 20-30 seconds of warming up - pull in the clutch, put the bike in gear, and ride off.  Be a bit gentle on the engine until the bike is fully warmed up.....a cold clutch can slip as the oil is still thick between the clutch plates.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1447331708

The problem with the inline filters, is that the thick plastic nipples severely limit the flow, and they can trap air bubbles that block the flow of fuel.   The small opening in the little plastic filters only have about 1/3rd the opening area that the tubing has.  Your petcock has a filter......the carb has s filter above the needle/seat.....why do you believe you need a third one?
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1211846392/15

The Rottella 15W-40 oil is the T4 oil.

If your Valvoline oil is this one......it appears that the ZDDP level is a bit lower than the 1,200 - 1,400 that we believe is adequate.  Valvolien lists the ZDDP level at 1030ppm (0.103%).  At $17 for 2 quarts....that is pretty expensive stuff.

Use this link, and go to the PI sheet to see what is in the oil.
https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/motor-oil/4-stroke-motorcycle-oil

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
juggaloscorpio
YaBB Newbies

Newbie On A
Mission!!!

Sherman, Tx
Reply #10 - 09/19/17 at 15:02:51

Thanks guys for the info, I will have to wait for the oil replacement until next weekend but will do as you guy suggest and go with the T4 Rotella 15-40.

I was not aware that there is a filter in the carb, but I have seen others install the in-line filter and figured for $2 it couldnt hurt, this could be why she has been dying when coming down from "highway" speed to in town speed. I have plenty of fuel hose leftover and will take the filter off to see if that helps.

Good to know about the upright idle/warm up, I have only had her running for a couple of days now and have started her up while I get my helmet and gloves on, or about 3mins total(do people actually wear this stuff every time haha)

The oil replacement might have to wait for now because more importantly on my repair/replacement list are front brake pads and fork rebuilding/seal replacement(they are as soft as a wet sponge and you cannot control her at 60mph in this pothole haven).

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #11 - 09/19/17 at 16:54:58

Low idle speed
And
Quick chop of the throttle will cause it to flame out.
Low idle is really not healthy.
Other stuff can contribute to it shutting off, but those two are most common and easiest to solve.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:21:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie to the group

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.