Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp bike (Read 817 times)
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp
Reply #60 - 09/26/17 at 03:22:13

Thanks for the tip. The reason I didn't  go with the piston was because I figured other things would need upgrading or maintenance which I couldn't do on my own. I have a couple of mechanic friends, but don't wanna stain the relationship.

I already have the Dyna fitted ... I'll look into the carb  Cool

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #61 - 09/26/17 at 04:40:52

The "order" of engine improvements is a somewhat difficult concept, as they are all interwoven.....and they need to work together to improve the ability of the engine to breath.  The improvements are also directly tied to your mechanical ability....and your wallet.

Everyone agrees that the muffler and refined carb jetting is the first step in making the engine run better.

Beyond that - it gets far more complicated.

The high compression piston has the most bang for the buck in my opinion - however a cam swap really brings it to life...and while the head is off it is a good opportunity to open up the exhaust port a bit. This labor intensive and parts somewhat expensive......if you have a piston or cam failure it is easy to justify the upgrade.  It is somewhat harder to justify taking a good running and reliable engine apart just to get a few more HP.

A cam swap by itself provides a worthwhile improvement, and you don't have to remove the engine from the frame.

The stock carb works OK, and it can even work OK with a modified engine.  I ran the stock carb for a year with my 95mm Wiseco and Stage 1 Cam engine, and it did just fine.  When I switched to the Mikuni VM carb I didn't notice much of any power increase - what I noticed was a more responsive carb - things happened a tiny bit faster when I moved the throttle.  The Mikuni is not a constant velocity carb, and it doesn't have a TEV valve to help with the rumble if you close the throttle while decelerating or shifting - so you have to become a better rider and learn how to operate the throttle to cut down on the backfire while coasting or shifting.  It does take some mechanical and jetting skill to get this right.....and the Mikuni is not a "bolt in" for connection to to the stock air cleaner - so you will either have to adapt plumbing or use a different air cleaner.  (I use a large foam air cleaner).  I really don't know how much difference a carb swap will make on a stock engine.

Here is what the "forum" has been recommending for the order of improvements in the Tech Section.
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1291516932

« Last Edit: 09/26/17 at 05:56:49 by Dave »  

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Flint

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks Alberta!

Reply #62 - 09/26/17 at 08:46:45

Iconkj wrote on 09/18/17 at 01:35:24:
Hi there,

I introduced myself already at the corresponding thread.

I bought a 96 suzuki savage for just 350 euro's.  +- 400 dollars.
The plan is to ride the bike and while doing so, change the bike a bit.
(i don't have the bike at the moment. I'm going to pick it up next month)

The bike is in good shape but i keep thinking about one thing:

Will the power be enough for me? I started out with a 750 intruder but couldn't get used to it. After that i rode a kawasaki zr7 en the last year i rode with a gsxr 750 srad. A whole different animal all around.
I am selling the gsxr for more than one reason: it's no fun. 120km/h in first.. Still have 5 gears left then..
Not comfortable and i have to admit that i don't ride nearly as much with the gsxr as i did with the intruder..

A savage looks like the bike for me: i don't have the need to drive fast and really dig the looks of the chopped/bobbed savages..
My only question: are there others here that came from a 'high' hp bike to the savage and how was that for you guys?

Greetings,
Kjelly

If you have ever rode a Ninja 250 they are pretty much identical in performance to the Savage.  The Savage/S40 has quicker acceleration to around 55 mph but the top speed is about the same for both bikes.

My son has a Ninja 250 and we would ride around on our bikes together.  Stopping for gas we would use the same amount for the same distances.  I would have thought the Ninja 250 would have gotten much better milage.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #63 - 09/26/17 at 16:37:42

Flint, we have folks from every flavor of the 2 wheeled world.
The average age here is about 50 and years on 2 wheels probably averages 20-30 years, with a lot of us in the 40-50 year range.  We have a few engineers and many others with machine shop experience.  
There is a lot going on here.
And really good/nice folks too.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:23:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Opinions on riding a savage after a 'high' hp bike

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.