Bike won't start (Read 46 times)
Elmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Bike won't start
09/13/17 at 23:44:30

Hey Guys,

96 Sav, 26k miles. rode last year.  Last started 6 months ago.  replaced battery and volts check good.  bypass on the starter has the starter kicking.  when kickstand up, clutch pulled in neutral I get nothing.  Volts to the starter switch are good (or at least there is something there).  nothing is coming down to the starter when I press the button so it's not a short some where.  fuses are good.  NO clicks when I hit starter.

What's my next course of actions?

Thanks!

P.S. who wants to buy my Savage? lol

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Re: Bike won't start
Reply #1 - 09/14/17 at 00:21:10

Do you have a volt/ohm meter? (you need one) to check ,clutch switch ,side stand switch, kill switch and starter button ,and starter solenoid . Also the battery at rest, and later under load.You should also check battery cables for good connection (ground cable at the side case near the oil sightglass) You might want to check out all your connectors under the gas tank making sure they're clean and tight.    P.S. first question asked by a buyer is ,does it run? Smiley

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Elmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/14/17 at 01:03:11

Yes, I've check most of what you have described.  I have 4 volt meters lol (TY harbor Freight).  I'm very mechanically inclined but am weak on electronics.  Yes, the bike runs like a dream!  I literally just went through the whole carb and cleaned it all up before trying to start riding it again as the weather cools off only to fall into this problem.  I can jump it and it'll run fine.  The battery cables are snug, new fuses etc. etc.  I tried the short on the kick stand sensor and still nothing.

So I've read a lot from when I posted to now.  

Let's discuss what it can't be.

It's not the:
Battery
kickstand switch
starter
fuses
clutch ground
neutral ground (at least the neutral light is on)

Everything works exactly as it should electronically from blinkers / head lamp / brakes / horn / highbeam / Neutral light / speedometer light.

The only thing that is giving me no sound or indication of working is the start switch.  I pulled it off and cleaned connections (although i don't get why it has a brake switch on, i mean where is the bike going to go if you are just trying to start the darn thing and you HAVE to have it in neutral).

It used to have to dreaded oil leak but i fixed that with the help of this forum and Verslagyn plug (sp?) that i installed about a year ago but I've driven it about 500 miles since then.

I was planning on fixing this bad boy up and selling it if I can at some point.  I honestly only paid 450 for the bike 2 years ago from a guy who had it leaning under a tarp in his garage.  Since then I've put over 1k miles on it around town here in Phoenix as my first bike.  it's a bit small for my 5'11 215 lbs stature but man has it been fun!

IP Logged
Elmer
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/14/17 at 01:26:17

Fixed it! I pulled the clutch switch and bypassed.  Started right up!  Sorry if I wasted anyone's time.  

Now I need to fix the fork seals.  Can anyone guide me to the part of the forum to do this?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 09/14/17 at 04:13:32

Elmer wrote on 09/14/17 at 01:26:17:
Now I need to fix the fork seals.  Can anyone guide me to the part of the forum to do this?

Thanks!

Before you tear anything apart - try the credit card seal cleaning "hack".  Find a thin credit card, and cut a thin strip with a hook on the end.  Push it into the seal and rotate it around in a manner that pulls the dirt out of the seal.  This often works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5L2K2PXGtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4nHzDd4KRk

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/02/24 at 21:17:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Bike won't start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.