Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Head plug/cap leak question (Read 148 times)
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Head plug/cap leak question
09/08/17 at 11:04:20

My question has to do with the 'head plug/cap' that is right above the front cylinder nut.

There is a general consensus that this 'head plug/cap' (also called the 'cap, cylinder head seal') could leak as the LS650 puts on mileage.

I have also read on this site that Suzuki has changed the head plug part number over the years. I verified this on the 'suzukipartshouse.com' website:  

Part number 11145-37400 (1995 and before)
Part number 11145-41B01 and 11145-37401  (Both part numbers in the years 1996-2004.
Part number 11145-37401 (2005-2017)

So my question is:  Has the new updated part number (11145-37401) solved this leak problem?  

I have a 2015 LS650 with about 4500 miles on it and wonder if this leak is something that I should anticipate coming? ... or ... Did Suzuki solve the leak problem by upgrading this part by using part number 11145-37401 over the older part numbers?

If the newer part number doesn't solve the leak problem, then at what mileage can I assume that this seal will start leaking? (or at least a best guess)

Thanks for your help,
Ron G

IP Logged
norm92de
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

El Paso TX
Re: Head plug/cap leak question
Reply #1 - 09/08/17 at 11:38:03

Ron,
Already have my contingency plan. I bought a Versy plug for when or if my plug leaks. His plug is so superior to the stock part that it would be foolish after stripping the engine to fit Suzuki's plug.

My bike is a 2014 with 6000 plus miles on it, no leaks so far.

2014 S40. Raptor. idle mixture adj.Needle raised one notch. 4000' altitude. Stock jets. Shell Rotella synthetic.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #2 - 09/08/17 at 15:33:38

It's like the petcock ,you never know until it happens,I have a 1995 that had the old style ,and didn't leak until 19,000 miles,some have leaked around 5,000, but it's not something to panic over as it will just weep at first ,giving you a kind of advanced notice.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 09/11/17 at 11:25:01

Thanks for the input.  (19,000 miles is a long time before leaking.)

I do eventually plan on buying a Versy plug if it begins to leak.  However, I was hoping someone would know for sure if the new plug solves the problem.

Just hoping someone would know.

Ron G

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/11/17 at 18:20:24

I put a new style plug in mine at about 3k miles  Holding good after 5k plus miles.

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 09/11/17 at 18:23:51

Even the new model stock plug will work ,(11,000 miles so far) as Vercy's wasn't around when I changed mine ,putting  sealer  on it before installing is the key ,because the factory didn't. Vercy's plug would be better ,it is made of alum. which will expand and contract with the change in temps ,matching the head,and it has two  o-rings (if I remember) giving it a double seal.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/12/17 at 05:32:01

+ 1 on the sealant.

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #7 - 09/12/17 at 06:21:27

I believe the problem with the stock plug, is that over time the heat begins to harden and shrink the plug, and it no longer seals off the hole.  With age and mileage I believe that even the newer style plug will leak.

The Versy plug is aluminum and has 2 high heat O-rings.  1 of the O-rings seals in the bore, the other one seals against the flat surface on top of the head - it is your best chance at a durable repair.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 09/12/17 at 06:39:00

Dave wrote on 09/12/17 at 06:21:27:
I believe the problem with the stock plug, is that over time the heat begins to harden and shrink the plug, and it no longer seals off the hole.  With age and mileage I believe that even the newer style plug will leak.
--------------------------------

You may be right but my 96 only had 3500 miles on it when I got it and it leaked like a mother.  The new style plug has surpassed that already.  Granted, it's only little over a year old, but I'm not sure heat and mileage is the problem.  

It's more likely that design and possibly materials are the issue.  Suzuki changed the design (not sure about the material) and  I added some sealant.  I guess we'll see how long it ages.  

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/14/17 at 10:27:55

Thanks for all of your input.  Very helpful.

Ron G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:43:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Head plug/cap leak question

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.