Send Topic Print
Rear Axle - right side (Read 363 times)
Jaygee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Rear Axle - right side
09/01/17 at 19:18:43

I have a squealing drive belt, so I checked the rear axle alignment against the alignment marks and found the two sides were not quite the same. I loosened the right side rear axle nut and adjusted the alignment, but when I went to re-tighten the nut it won't tighten! It turns, but is not going tight. What gives?

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Re: Rear Axle - right side
Reply #1 - 09/01/17 at 19:35:05

Place a screw driver in the hole in the axle and then drive the nut

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 09/01/17 at 19:45:22

check the other side of the axle... does it turn too?

WWW   IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #3 - 09/01/17 at 20:12:42

It  could be that someone over tightened the nut and striped the threads,take the it apart and look at at it,it should only be torqued to 65 ft/lbs.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/01/17 at 21:43:31

Yes, the other side is turning.
Two wrenches required or an impact
And pulse the trigger.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Jaygee
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/02/17 at 07:04:05

Ok, feeling like a real dummy!  Undecided
I was tightening the 17mm bolt and didn't notice that the 24mm nut on the other side was turning with it! Wrench on both sides - problem solved.

IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 09/02/17 at 08:20:37

Just an FYI those marks are good for individual adjustment but they don't have to match.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #7 - 09/03/17 at 07:45:39

Eegore wrote on 09/02/17 at 08:20:37:
Just an FYI those marks are good for individual adjustment but they don't have to match.  

Suzuki put those marks there for a reason.  They are there to align the rear wheel with the frame/front wheel.  So...unless you assume Suzuki really screwed up, the axle is only properly adjusted when the marks DO match up on both sides!

I worked at a Honda dealer for some years, and never once did we run into a bike where the marks were put on incorrectly by the mfg.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #8 - 09/03/17 at 07:48:30

Jaygee wrote on 09/01/17 at 19:18:43:
I have a squealing drive belt, so I checked the rear axle alignment against the alignment marks and found the two sides were not quite the same. I loosened the right side rear axle nut and adjusted the alignment, but when I went to re-tighten the nut it won't tighten! It turns, but is not going tight. What gives?

After aligning the rear wheel correctly by the marks, and making sure the belt has proper slack (1/4 turn on bottom of it) I have found that the best thing to do to get rid of the squealing is to use your wife's spray cooking oil (brand name is PAM).  It works great and after thousands of miles, I can detect no problems or issues.

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/03/17 at 10:06:28

I have three 1995 versions of this bike.

The tolerance is close but there are variables, with 3 bikes only one has an almost exact match on both sides and we use a shop with laser setup to align the rear pulley and belt now.  I believe that bike is .3294mm forward on the left.  We had to custom contrast paint the pulleys for the machine to make accurate readings.

Maybe all other bikes out there are set up to have an exact match on each side but I can guarantee two of mine don't.  I have another swingarm coming in, I can have them all put on to one frame and see what measurements we get.

IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #10 - 09/03/17 at 14:49:48

Eegore wrote on 09/03/17 at 10:06:28:
 I have three 1995 versions of this bike.

The tolerance is close but there are variables, with 3 bikes only one has an almost exact match on both sides and we use a shop with laser setup to align the rear pulley and belt now.  I believe that bike is .3294mm forward on the left.  We had to custom contrast paint the pulleys for the machine to make accurate readings.

Maybe all other bikes out there are set up to have an exact match on each side but I can guarantee two of mine don't.  I have another swingarm coming in, I can have them all put on to one frame and see what measurements we get.

I have never seen a manual (either owner's or service) but I don't think any of them say to use the swingarm marks to align the pulleys! I would bet that they say that the marks are there to align the wheel to the frame, not the pulleys to the belt or to each other.

Also,  .3294mm is equivalent to .0129" or slightly under 13 thousandths of an inch- almost imperceptible to the eye except in certain situations.  The swingarm marks are made for visible eyeball setting, not micrometer measurements.  Again aligning the belt is different than aligning the wheel.

IP Logged
Steddy58

Ooops I did it again

Liverpool UK
Reply #11 - 09/03/17 at 15:58:05

I got the marks lined up identical and when I took it to the mechanics for its annual test he said everything's OK but the wheels are out of  alignment and he told me not to put too much faith in the marks

1988 sav, mikuni vm36 carb (lancer),high comp piston, racing cam, raptor petcock, self-made exhaust, delkevic silencer (ryca header), K&N air filter, 48,000 miles
  IP Logged
Eegore
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 09/03/17 at 19:55:21

Right .3924 is the bike that has lined up swingarm marks.  The others do not but reflect an aligned front/rear pulley.  

Just an observation I have had with my bikes, but I have yet to place different swingarms on the same frame.

IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #13 - 09/03/17 at 20:55:47

I've worked on more than one bike with misaligned chain adjusting marks, too. Looking at you, Royal pain in the ass Enfield, Daelim, Suzuki and others. My Ducati doesn't even have any marks and I'm good with that.

IP Logged
Armen
Serious Thumper

Half-Witted
Wrench-Jockey from
Jersey

Reply #14 - 09/04/17 at 07:09:50

FWIW:
Many belt drive rear pulleys have one cast shoulder, and one pressed or screwed on shoulder. The cast one is always on the outside of the pulley.
If a wheel/belt was set up to load the inner ring of the pulley, it would be pushing against a lightly pressed on piece of sheet metal. Not good.
The way I do belt adjustment:
Jack under the bike. Rear wheel free to spin.
Get the slack pretty close.
Play with the adjusters so that the belt is fairly centered.
Turn the adjusters so that as the wheel is rotated, the belt slowly migrates to the outer (cast in) shoulder. Not so much that it is scraping against the edge.
Double check the belt slack.
Torque the axle nut.
Recheck the slack.
PS:
It's is usually easier to keep the adjustment if you have the axle nut on the right side of the bike, not the left.
(ask me why Wink )

In theory, theory and reality are the same. In reality, they aren't...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/01/24 at 08:34:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rear Axle - right side

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.