Send Topic Print
Windshield? (Read 105 times)
och
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Windshield?
06/25/20 at 23:34:58

Hello everyone, I am looking for help with windshield. I am not a very experienced rider, I only bought my S40 a few years ago and I ride occasionally. When I bought the bike it did not come with a windshield and I found that it becomes difficult to hold on at high speeds, like the wind is trying to blow me off the bike. I bought and installed the OEM windshield, which is rather small, but it definitely improved things. However now I have issue with wind noise, with the windshield there is so much wind noise even at 25-30mph, and at highway speeds its just unbearable, I cant hear surrounding at all, only wind.

I am relatively tall at 6'-4" and its a small bike with small OEM windshield, so I'm thinking maybe it routes all the air right under my chin into the helmet and producing the noise? Is it a good idea to put on a bigger windshield?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Windshield?
Reply #1 - 06/25/20 at 23:57:44

I am not a very experienced rider

Figured that when I saw your name.
Haven't quite figured out how to spell Ouch yet..

You're 6'4" tall,,yeah that short shield is liable to be shoving air up in your helmet, before you ditch it, maybe try adjusting the angle, play with your seating, feel around with your head, figure out how high you actually Need the top of it to be. And wearing earplugs is a common thing among riders.

And you're doing a smart thing
Go ahead
Keep U out of
Ouch.
Where are you from?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #2 - 06/26/20 at 01:53:43

I hope you have better luck than me I did a lot of experimenting and modifying and in the end gave up on a windshield before it pushed me over the edge. I have learned to love the bike without one.

Hiko   IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #3 - 06/26/20 at 06:20:56

I don't like large windshields. The noise, the buffeting. I went with a flyscreen. It is a small windshield that is used to just block the wind hitting your chest. Your head and arms are still out in the wind. It was a good compromise for me. When I sold my Savage, I moved it over to my Kaw Vulcan 800. I don't do a lot if high speed highway riding, so it works for me.

savage_bw_003.jpg
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 06/26/20 at 07:11:18

But the dude is Tall,,,,
I expect someone who is well versed to step in,, BUT, until then, Let me try to help oout,,
I dont have a bunch of experience with shields, but I do have some,, and, seems to me the idea is to just be able to look over it from a comfortable position. Angled right, the helmet shouldnt take  lot of buffeting
But if the air is spilling over the top of it and smashing into your shoulders,, maybe you could raise it up and stand it up straighter..
Pictures might be helpful

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Hiko

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Tauranga New Zealand
Reply #5 - 06/26/20 at 18:20:29

Helmet buffeting was my problem The screen I tried was average size
I tilted it forward I tilted it back I raised it up I lowered it down I made a smaller temporary one out of core flute on the same mounts and cut that down in various degrees all to no avail
I tried different helmets I tried a reverse curve at the top like you see on some screens Nothing worked
The only good thing was I knew each time it was bad before I got to the end of the street.
One thing I did not try was putting a lot more curve in the screen
Maybe just maybe thats the answer

What I did find out was mounting one of those fork tool bags above the headlight took some pressure off the chest without the helmet buffeting
so I can see why one of those flyscreen shields could do that also

Edit: One other thing I tried working on the theory that the problem was caused by low pressure eddies behind the screen was mounting deflectors below the screen to shoot air into this area They did not work either in my case

« Last Edit: 06/28/20 at 02:09:00 by Hiko »  
Hiko   IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #6 - 06/27/20 at 04:30:53

I ride my Savage without a windshield and I mostly ride backroads at speeds below 60 mph, I have a Shoei GT air helmet, and I wear ear plugs.......the ride is fine for me.

On my BMW F800GT I have been fighting the helmet noise issue ever since I got the bike.  The stock windscreen deflects the air so it hits my chest and shoulders, and the wind noise is excessive.  The air coming off the windscreen is concentrated and flowing with much more force than the speed at which you are riding.  If I take my left hand and hold it at my neck and block the wind at the bottom of my helmet the ride is much quieter as the noise at the bottom of my helmet is reduced.

I have installed taller windscreens and they resolve the problem with the noise at the bottom of my helmet - but they also make the wind force at the top of my helmet worse and make it louder.  If/when I try a screen that gets the wind blast over my helmet the ride becomes incredibly hot in the summer as I get no air flow on my body.....and the heat from the engine is pulled up behind the windscreen.

After months and several dollars of trying, I have found the best solution for me is to use a windscreen and deflector combination that gets the air to hit my helmet just about eye level.  The deflector helps to keep the air flow more laminar and the buffeting sound is reduced.  I also wear really good foam ear plugs if I am not needing to use my helmet radio......I use the somewhat expensive but incredibly good SPlug ear buds connected to my Sena helmet radio when I need to communicate.
https://www.plugup.com/the_S_plug_stereo_earbuds_s/67.htm

The Puig or similar deflectors that go on top of the windshield really help to make the ride quieter.  They seem to work best when installed at the same angle as the windshield - they let air flow behind them and it helps to keep the flow more laminar.  The Puig is expensive but works well, you may be able to find Chinese copies......but I would expect the quality to suffer a bit.  There are different sizes available - for the Savage the bigger touring size is likely best.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/puig-clip-on-windscreen-visor?gclid=Cj0KC...

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 06/27/20 at 07:42:41

Splits it, deflects at the collar,, Im just sure this would be a really good idea..

IP Logged
Job
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Farmington, New Mexico
Reply #8 - 07/02/20 at 20:59:42

Och, I used a stock S40 windshield with the same results you have. I moved the shield up to where the shields bottom screw holes matched the top mounting holes and I re-drilled new lower mount holes. This worked wonders for me, but, I am only 5'10" tall. Good luck as a good shield makes a world of difference on long high speed rides.

2009 S40.
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #9 - 07/03/20 at 07:43:46

I have found that forward tilt makes more difference than height,.. but I still have some cotton sheets flapping noise.
Better than the constant scream of wind without a shield though.
Really hurts the lines of the bike, but makes longer trips less work.  I used spacers between the shield and bracket to get it more upright.

shield_003.jpg

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
SavageMan99

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 07/03/20 at 09:32:03

I'm 6ft. Got a taller seat position "bench" seat on mine.
It's not perfect, "what is", but I'm ok with factory windshield.
It whistles, but I think a piece of pipe insulation between it and the headlight will stop that.

IP Logged
rong

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 07/14/20 at 12:35:23

I use a Slipstreamer Spitfire windshield for my 2015.  It easily comes off the bike.  So I have two options on every ride ... to either use it or not  use it.  

I use earplugs, and it's not a huge windshield.  But it's versatile, inexpensive, and gives me the option of even using a windshield.

I discovered it because another person mentioned the Spitfire windshield on this website a few years ago.

Here is the company's website:

https://slipstreamer.com/search-windscreens/

They have a phone number, so  you can ask them questions.

Hope it gives you another option in your search.
Ron G

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
04/19/24 at 22:09:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Windshield?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.