Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Honest I really only went after the trailer... (Read 210 times)
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Honest I really only went after the trailer...
08/29/17 at 15:10:10

Last night I found a SMOKING good deal on this 5'x10' utility trailer. I had to drive 1 and a half hours for it, but for what I got it for, I don't think I could have bought an equal size axle and springs. I have been playing cat and mouse with the fellow from the local most city's Craigslist on this pair of Savages. I'm up hooking up to the trailer when I get this text message... it reads "hey those two motorcycles are still available, you still interested?" So I writes back and I give him a LOW BALL offer, he was asking $800 for both. I thought he may have been insulted!!!😄 but he writes back IMMEDIATELY with a counter offer that was less than expected!!!
Here I am towing a trailer, coin in my pocket, snd 4 ratchet strap tie downs, what's a guy supposed to do? Drive home with an empty trailer???? NOT THIS KID

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Re: Honest I really only went after the trailer...
Reply #1 - 08/29/17 at 16:00:14

Now that's a good day out!

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/29/17 at 16:07:53

Before you start cranking on them
How long since they ran?
Details now could save hurt later.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #3 - 08/29/17 at 17:06:26

Well, the last inspection sticker is 1999!!!! The previous owner passed away, I got them from his son who just let them sit in the garage. Yeah, I plan to pull the carbs off of both bikes, drain the oil, for starters, kinda low mileage on one, the other has 17 thou, yeah ferry sure any AND all tips and stuff to check would be VERY helpful PLEASE.

Mike

1999 Savage, basically stock, except drag bars, 4"risers,Jardine turn out muffler, Raptor petcock, Verslagen modified cam chain adjuster,4" forward controls
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/29/17 at 17:14:37

Leave the wet filters. You don't really need to change oil until you get it to start.

Use fogging oil in the cylinders.

Tanks are likely rusty.
Seventeen thousand, time to check out the cam chain. That's destroyed a few engines.
Not a time to get in a hurry.
Just the carb off the low miles one,get that one running.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 08/29/17 at 19:15:55

Yes what JOG said (Fogging oil) ,and I'd check the front drive pulley to make sure there tight ,the two big killers ,beside the cam  chain .Be careful riding on those old tires!

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
JLC

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Black Forest, Colorado
Reply #6 - 08/29/17 at 19:47:52

Well done. In the last two years I have never seen a Savage that cheap locally, in any condition.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 08/29/17 at 20:03:09

By golly, I believe you've got it !

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #8 - 08/30/17 at 03:41:25

The importance of going slow and doing some triage before attempting to start the bike has already been mentioned.....the long term storage has provided ample time for lubricating oil to drip or evaporate off the internal parts - and any fuel in the tank or carb is likely bad.

I rescued a bike that had been in storage a long time, and I was surprised to see the fuel tank was clean inside, and the fuel for some reason hadn't deteriorated.  Still I didn't try to start the bike and began to look it over.  It was obvious it had an oil leak at the head, and I begin the work fixing that - and when I took the head cover off I discovered a worn cam and exhaust rocker.  This allowed me to apply lube to the good cam and rocker I installed.  I added Sta-Bil fogging oil to the cylinder, cleaned the carb, checked the oil level, and fired it up.  Once it was warmed up I dumped the oil oil and changed the filter.....I don't ever change the oil and filter on an old bike - as that will result in a long period of no oil flow while the new filter and filter housing oil are filled with oil - you could drain the crankcase and add fresh oil....but don't remove the old filter until after you have the bike running again.  It is also not a bad idea to leave the spark plug out and let the starter turn the engine over for a little bit to help get oil flow before the engine is started the first time.  If you don't have to remove the head cover - then at least remove the front valve inspection cover and spray some oil in to the cam and rockers - the bikes have been leaned over and the oil in the little reservoir under the cam has drained out and there will not be any lube on the cam as it first turns over.

Here is a link to the rescue I did.  The bike turned out to be a very nice bike, and a local women bought it from me and loves it!
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1440293732

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #9 - 08/30/17 at 05:30:39

Thanks for that link Dave, it cleaned up very nicely for you, and sounds like she runs good too.
Great job
Good tips from all who chimed in also!!! I'm not going to rush this project, as I have one to ride now, it's an early start on getting a winter project.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #10 - 08/30/17 at 09:12:02

If you have rusted tanks, PM me when you get around to it and I'll share what I did for a recent tank on a friend's 4 wheeler I was rehabbing for him. My first time sealing a tank and much easier than I anticipated.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
madmikesmech

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Olean ny
Reply #11 - 08/30/17 at 14:42:39

stewmills wrote on 08/30/17 at 09:12:02:
If you have rusted tanks, PM me when you get around to it and I'll share what I did for a recent tank on a friend's 4 wheeler I was rehabbing for him. My first time sealing a tank and much easier than I anticipated.

Thanks!
Ve sealed a couple tanks using some epoxy stuff I purchased from Eastman products. Good stuff

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #12 - 08/30/17 at 15:08:47

Cool!  I used RedKote. Acetone based. Has good reviews and can be found for $20 a can if you shop fleabay appropriately. Probably comparable to the "kreme" stuff I see in the motorcycle shops but unsure why they chose that over the RedKote. I guess time will tell on how well the 4 wheeler holds up.

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/30/17 at 17:36:31

The last sealer I used was an epoxy I got from Caswell plating.  I prefer it over the white colored acetone sealer, and the POR15 silver sealer.

It just seems to cover better, and it is resistant to everything.  The only downside is you have to go it in a warm garage - the stuff is very thick in cold weather and it is like trying to coat the tank with molasses.  Don't try to cheat on the temp......do it the temperature that the directions tell you to use.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #14 - 08/30/17 at 19:58:11

What a SCORE !!!!!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 13:33:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Honest I really only went after the trailer...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.