Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Running rich - re-jet no difference (Read 133 times)
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Running rich - re-jet no difference
08/16/17 at 00:46:29

i've tried re-jetting pilot and main jets to stop black smoke and very sooty spark plug with no luck - I've gone down 2 sizes on both jets.
I wonder if the De-accelerator valve TEV? Or the choke could be sticking/faulty?
Has anyone had this happen or can suggest another cause?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Re: Running rich - re-jet no difference
Reply #1 - 08/16/17 at 04:04:13

It is hard for me to keep track of all the bike on this site......have you taken off the original vacuum fuel petcock yet?  The diaphragm can get leaky and allow fuel to flow down the vacuum line.....no amount of jetting will fix that - but a Raptor manual petcock will.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #2 - 08/16/17 at 06:30:03

Jet for throttle response, not to cut down on smoke. If you have smoke and a wet plug it is possible that you have another issue

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/16/17 at 07:49:05

Need more information.
Tell us about it.
Read the threads.
See what information people provide that gets the help.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #4 - 08/16/17 at 08:52:33

Ok - will go through the threads but I have a 1987 LS650 c/w Raptor, Dyna, K&M, 152.5 52.5 and 2 washers on the needle  the bike originated in Germany
Never had a backfire on the bike unlike my 2005 S40 which pops like a 'good un' on throttle shut off

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/16/17 at 09:16:24

My starting point for jetting at sea level is #150 main, #50 pilot, and 3 washers on the needle....and that is with E10 fuel.

If you are running gasoline without ethanol, you likely will need smaller jets as pure gasoline needs a less rich mixture than E10.

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #6 - 08/16/17 at 10:24:01

Thanks Dave - 150/50 jets are in the post and I am tgoing to clean the TEV and choke tomorrow - fingers crossed!

IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #7 - 08/16/17 at 19:12:48

I eventually settled on 52.5/152.5 with the spacer at 0.4 of the original size. I'm at sea level and don't run ethanol blends. I could get away with being a touch leaner but I've gone with a setting that seems to pretty well cover the temperature and humidity variation where I live.

At a slightly leaner setting I reckon I get a touch more punch on acceleration, but I also get a slight lean surge during certain weather conditions.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #8 - 08/21/17 at 10:40:01

Cleaned the carb again - this time taking the choke and TEV out - put in 150/50 jets and lowered the needle - almost perfect! A little rich but better than lean. Only thing that I don't like is when I'm stationary and I blip the throttle the motor nearly stalls  i.e. when I close the throttle and then the revs pick up again and settlle to a nice idle - I'll try raising the needle to the middle slot

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #9 - 08/21/17 at 11:41:29

Don't fuss with the needle for idle/blipping issues.  The needle controls the fuel mixture when the throttle is about 1/8-1/4 open.....if the bike runs good when you accelerate at a slow pace (like in a school zone or when the Law Enforcement is watching you )....leave the needle alone.  If the bike has a hunting/surging at light throttle settings - then add a washer under the needle.

When you blip the throttle and get the engine rpm up, then close the throttle - you have created a situation with high engine vacuum and low fuel flow as the slide has dropped and closed off the fuel flow from the needle jet.  The only fuel flow that is occurring is coming from the idle circuit or the TEV.  You can try raising your idle speed a bit, or opening the idle fuel screw a small amount.

IP Logged
marekbuk

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

West Yorkshire, UK
Reply #10 - 08/21/17 at 12:06:31

Cheers Dave - I'll leave the needle alone and have a play with the idle screw.
Pleased I don't have to take the needle out again - the screw heads are pretty worn and they are pesky things to position at the best of times

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:26:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Running rich - re-jet no difference

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.