Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Another new toy, Another new forum... (Read 1117 times)
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Re: Another new toy, Another new forum...
Reply #15 - 08/17/17 at 06:22:21

Ok I got a video uploaded... now to see if I can remember how to tag it here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRq-vGLHGJs

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #16 - 08/17/17 at 07:09:18

A compression test will tell you if it's the piston or not, but that's my guess.

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #17 - 08/17/17 at 14:46:06

Compression test yielded a result of 87psi...
*insert sad face here*

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #18 - 08/17/17 at 14:58:07

Rings might be stuck
I'd dump diesel in the hole.
Agitate the crank
Just a few degrees back and forth
Check compression
Do it again
Change oil before you run it

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
antmanbee

4 Moto Guzzis and an
S40

NE Florida
Reply #19 - 08/17/17 at 15:21:25

You have to deactivate the starting compression release before testing.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/17/17 at 15:35:22

The compression release is only active for 1 rev.
Do you do a compression test for 1 rev?

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #21 - 08/19/17 at 06:54:53

So more head scratching...

I looked at the oil again on a whim and sure enough it was not even visible in the sight glass until I leaned the bike over to the right.

Filled it back up and ran it for a few minutes "just to see" lol and it made no change. Watching the sight glass while it was idling I noticed that it had very very little oil trickling across the sight glass.

So here are the next barrage of questions...

Where the heck did all the oil go? There is no sign of any significant leak.. no sign that it was blown out the tailpipe... no extra soot from it being burnt...

There is a noticeable oil weep at the right side of the head but no liquid oil leaks anywhere... Do these engines normally consume darn near a full quart of oil over about 200 miles?

So...
Could whatever caused the oil loss to pull the oil level down so low the pump couldn't pick up... loss of prime.. then *poof* all of a sudden running as if it had no oil in the crankcase? That would dang sure cause some heat soak in the upper end that could easily bind rings to the piston...

When I changed the oil the day I brought it home... the stuff that came out was as black as the oil that comes out of my 7.3 powerstroke at oil change time... No metal shavings, flecks, specks or dust that i could see in it. Seemed pretty dark even if it had been in the engine from the factory. But surely I was not the first to perform an oil change on it eh?

I'll give the rings a wiggle with diesel in the jug and see if it helps. I have not been able to get together with my buddy with the inspection camera as of yet... hopefully today though.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #22 - 08/19/17 at 07:49:04

Pulled the chrome covers off the head to get a better idea about the weepy leak. Looks to be coming from around the right side cam cap...

Is that indicative of the infamous oil plug leak?

Also noticed the bottom locking nut at the decompression solenoid cable on the head was completely loose. It rattled its way down completely past the threads and was just rattling there. Does not look like the top nut has moved.

There is a very small amount of oil seep at the head cover/head seal on the left side, but no signs that it has been dumping on the head. Just a slight grime layer down in there... mostly dust.

A cheap pair of blunt nose electrical pliers worked fabulously for removing the little inspection cover hiding the bolt needed to wiggle the crank.

Rocking the crank one direction is almost completely silent... the other induces gear noise... is it engaging the starter and that's what I'm hearing?

Still waiting on mamma to get home from the sk8 park so I can pull some diesel out of my truck lol. Being down to 1 vehicle sucks sometimes.

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/19/17 at 08:21:08

I don't immediately get oil in my sight glass when I check in the mornings.  I have lean the bike to the right until I get some oil and then back to level to check it.

You won't see much oil in the glass when it's running because the oil is being distributed through the motor and transmission.  

Sounds like you may have a plug leak and you would be surprised how much oil you can lose with those.  Still you'll see it sprayed all over the battery and side covers if it's bad.  (Unless you ride really slow all the time.)

Ultimately, I think you are in for a rebuild of some sort here and you won't know what it is exactly until you tear it down.  If you are lucky, it will be in the top end.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #24 - 08/19/17 at 09:56:15

Attempted to wiggle the rings free with diesel in the jug...
Absolutely zero effect of change in compression.

Got disgusted that I'm gonna have to tear down a basically brand new motor and walked away from it for a bit.

After it sat a good half hour... I tried it again for grins and to my amazement it climbed up to 92-94psi!

Gonna let it sit some more and keep fiddling with it and keep my fingers crossed.

I did go ahead and pull the oil filter and sloshed it around in a jar of gas. It was not all that nasty, but I did see extremely fine glitter in the slush once I was done. could be new, could be from break in... Have no idea...

Worst case scenario... Anyone got a link handy for a big bore kit?
If I end up having to replace hard parts... might as well upgrade eh?

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #25 - 08/19/17 at 10:03:39

ohiomoto wrote on 08/19/17 at 08:21:08:
I don't immediately get oil in my sight glass when I check in the mornings.  I have lean the bike to the right until I get some oil and then back to level to check it.

You won't see much oil in the glass when it's running because the oil is being distributed through the motor and transmission.  

Sounds like you may have a plug leak and you would be surprised how much oil you can lose with those.  Still you'll see it sprayed all over the battery and side covers if it's bad.  (Unless you ride really slow all the time.)

Ultimately, I think you are in for a rebuild of some sort here and you won't know what it is exactly until you tear it down.  If you are lucky, it will be in the top end.

Even though I saw a teensy bit of progress with the ring wiggle experiment, I'm leaning toward the same conclusion.

I tend to keep the revs up most of the time, no indications of oil sprayed on battery or side cover areas... (both side covers are actually missing...)

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #26 - 08/19/17 at 11:26:05

Rings stuck, little oil in piston/cylinder zone, piston rubbing?
Banging the crank a few degrees back and forth might get it.

go ahead and pull the oil filter and sloshed it around in a jar of gas. It was not all that nasty, but I did see extremely fine glitter in the slush once I was done. could be new, could be from break in... Have no idea..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #27 - 08/19/17 at 11:34:42

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/19/17 at 11:26:05:
Rings stuck, little oil in piston/cylinder zone, piston rubbing?
Banging the crank a few degrees back and forth might get it.

I went through about 10 rounds of pouring in diesel... rocking the crank back and forth... evacuating the jug... comp test..

It actually started to come up and hit 94psi at one point but very soon dropped back down to 87psi the next go around. I'm going to leak down test it to see if I can identify intake, exhaust, or crankcase venting...  might narrow it down a bit.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 08/19/17 at 12:00:42

have you tried transmission fluid?
couple of squirts is all you need.

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #29 - 08/19/17 at 12:03:39

verslagen1 wrote on 08/19/17 at 12:00:42:
have you tried transmission fluid?
couple of squirts is all you need.

Naw... Just the diesel so far.
Got plenty of fresh atf sitting there so I suppose I could give it a shot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:33:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another new toy, Another new forum...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.