Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Another new toy, Another new forum... (Read 1117 times)
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Re: Another new toy, Another new forum...
Reply #105 - 10/26/17 at 02:05:01

Not sure yet.
Going to call Boretech later on this morning to see if they fit rings after the bore, hone, coating process or if they leave that to the customer.
If not, then my better half will actually get the pleasure of fitting rings when she puts the motor back together. (she expressed an interest in taking part in reassembly so heck yeah I'm letting her run with it lol!)

Fitting rings is gravy work. Not like its a v8!

Anybody got an idea on the gasket set for the `04 fitting the `06?

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #106 - 10/26/17 at 03:53:08

Gasket sets are gasket sets......for the Savage.  They all interchange.

The quality control and standards on Wiseco parts is excellent....you are not going to have to do anything with fitting the rings......but you can go through the routine to get the little woman involved.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #107 - 10/26/17 at 07:54:55

Dave wrote on 10/26/17 at 03:53:08:
Gasket sets are gasket sets......for the Savage.  They all interchange.

The quality control and standards on Wiseco parts is excellent....you are not going to have to do anything with fitting the rings......but you can go through the routine to get the little woman involved.

I got impatient and went ahead and ordered a 2005-2006 year model specific labeled set from 2wheelpros.com.
part # on the set I ordered is 11400-24858
For anybody else looking at specific year model gasket sets for whatever reason... k5 relates to 2005, k6 to 2006, so forth and so on.

That's kind of nice of Wiseco! Yeah, we will still go through the motions of setting rings in the bore one by one and squaring them, and feeling up the gaps  Grin ...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #108 - 10/26/17 at 10:24:50

When I was doing the top end of a Raptor the Yamaha ring sets failed. Not one measured tight enough. Finally the owner saw me and realized that I was always carrying rings... He told the parts guy to get my problem solved.
After the guy had assured me that Their mechanics use their rings, and no problem. I declined to go with end gaps Their manual said were unacceptable.
They fixed me up with a piston and rings, lost money, and my problem was  solved.

Don't settle for less.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #109 - 10/31/17 at 06:56:26

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 10/26/17 at 10:24:50:
When I was doing the top end of a Raptor the Yamaha ring sets failed. Not one measured tight enough. Finally the owner saw me and realized that I was always carrying rings... He told the parts guy to get my problem solved.
After the guy had assured me that Their mechanics use their rings, and no problem. I declined to go with end gaps Their manual said were unacceptable.
They fixed me up with a piston and rings, lost money, and my problem was  solved.

Don't settle for less.

Huh?
I get what your saying, but this is a bit of a different situation...
Suzuki already told me to basically go F*** myself, so I decided to go well out of factory acceptable bore tolerances... At 97mm there is nothing Suzuki will be able to do for rings... So if anything, a ring issue would be on Wiseco to fix. I really don't anticipate any kind of issues with their stringent quality standards. The piston, rings, and pin look absolutely perfect.

Don't remember if i already posted the info or not... But I weighed the old piston with the rings, pin, and no clips for a total of 509grams. The new piston with rings and pin, no clips... weighed 494grams. The old piston is still carrying some extra weight from baked on carbon and cooked oil... so I'm not too worried about balance issues.

Some unexpected gremlins around the home front have prevented me from sending off the jug and piston... but I did get them packed up and ready for send off last night. I WILL be dropping them off at the shipper today! Stuff needs to stop breaking! I have important things to do working on my bike lol!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #110 - 11/01/17 at 14:22:19

! Stuff needs to stop breaking!

I decided to go well out of factory acceptable bore tolerances... At 97mm there is nothing Suzuki will be able to do for rings.

That's kinda funny,,
Regardless of provider, sometimes stuff isn't in spec. I Could have just slammed the parts together, but I can't be fixing stuff twice. It's not a comfort that they told me, Hey, OUR mechanics use them.
When their own maintenance manual explicitly laid out the acceptable gaps.
Good luck with it all. It's not unheard of.
Isn't that what a few guys here are running?
You gonna smooth that exhaust port out?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #111 - 11/02/17 at 04:39:34

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 11/01/17 at 14:22:19:
! Stuff needs to stop breaking!

I decided to go well out of factory acceptable bore tolerances... At 97mm there is nothing Suzuki will be able to do for rings.

That's kinda funny,,
Regardless of provider, sometimes stuff isn't in spec. I Could have just slammed the parts together, but I can't be fixing stuff twice. It's not a comfort that they told me, Hey, OUR mechanics use them.
When their own maintenance manual explicitly laid out the acceptable gaps.
Good luck with it all. It's not unheard of.
Isn't that what a few guys here are running?
You gonna smooth that exhaust port out?

I have only read of a couple guys running the 97mm dr650 piston. Lancer and Dave. I guess I will be #3?

Yes... Exhaust is getting some heavy attention... Intake will get the little nub whittled down. Stock carb is getting a RYCA pancake filter and I'm trying out a 6Sigma "stage 1-7 big bore" jet kit. Sticking with the stock exhaust for now.

I'm not concerned with the gaps being too tight... That is what files are for. I will have a problem with Wiseco if they are too loose lol.

The jug and new piston went out to Bore-Tech with USPS yesterday right about noon.

Major changes in appearance are in process.
Got a solo seat and associated bracketry on the way. New blacked out lower profile turn signals also on the way.

Stuff REALLY needs to stop breaking around here! Went out to go warm up the crotch rocket and run up to the corner store for a pack of smokes this morning and no freaking instrument cluster lights or headlight! Freaking GRRRR!!! lol

IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #112 - 11/02/17 at 05:13:44

There are a lot of Wiseco piston in Savages......Lancer can give you a better idea how many he has sold - but I do know that his first order of 94mm Wiseco pistons was a dozen, and they are all sold and his second dozen is currently being made.

Verslagen and I are running the 95mm Wiseco.  I went with the 95mm as it would allow me to go to the 96mm and/or 97mm if I ever broke the 95mm - almost 10,000 miles have gone by and it is running great!

I can't think of anyone running the 96mm - but I imagine somebody is using one.  Us conservative guys go with the 94/95mm...the adventurous ones use the 97mm.

Lancer, SuperThumper, perhaps Ruttly, and a several others are running the 97mm Wiseco.

The stock piston is cast aluminum - the Wiseco is forged aluminum.  Wiseco has been in business a long time, and they know how to make pistons.  The Savage engine is a pretty mild place for a piston to be - it is not going to be over stressed in the Savage as long as you keep good oil in the engine and feed it clean air.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #113 - 11/02/17 at 10:15:47

Yes I run the 97mm. That piston was almost too pretty to put inside where you can't see it. No problems but not many miles yet. Figured cylinders are cheap on ebay so why not go big!

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #114 - 11/03/17 at 03:43:47

Ruttly wrote on 11/02/17 at 10:15:47:
Yes I run the 97mm. That piston was almost too pretty to put inside where you can't see it. No problems but not many miles yet. Figured cylinders are cheap on ebay so why not go big!

Aren't they just a beautiful piece of machined metal ? 😁👍🏍😎

IP Logged
Ruttly
Serious Thumper

Thumpers Rule

Manteca , CA
Reply #115 - 11/03/17 at 05:52:39

Yes they are , you know when you take it out of the cloth bag that it is quality and money well spent !
Only gearheads can appreciate that sort of stuff !

The Topic Terminator
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #116 - 11/04/17 at 06:05:27

LANCER wrote on 11/03/17 at 03:43:47:
Ruttly wrote on 11/02/17 at 10:15:47:

Aren't they just a beautiful piece of machined metal ? 😁👍🏍😎

You wouldn't believe how much cushioning I stuffed in the box to go off to Bore-Tech lol. Made DANG sure it is gonna stay pretty!

I just checked and the package has been delivered to Bore-Tech!

The gasket set and 6Sigma jet kit have both arrived. I am not impressed with the 6Sigma kit. I will elaborate, but not yet...

The gasket set looks to have pretty much everything included except for that oil cap seal doo dad for the bolt hole in the head... guess I will get one of those on order pronto!

What is the revised part # for that little buggar?

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #117 - 11/04/17 at 08:10:34

OLD PART #11145-41b01 , NEW PART #11145-37401

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #118 - 11/04/17 at 09:11:38

The official count on the number of 97mm pistons in LS650's is "A Bunch" !
There have got to be at least 50-60 or more that have been put in over the years.
Most were from Wiseco but maybe a dozen were Wossner.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #119 - 11/05/17 at 17:59:52

LANCER wrote on 11/04/17 at 09:11:38:
The official count on the number of 97mm pistons in LS650's is "A Bunch" !
There have got to be at least 50-60 or more that have been put in over the years.
Most were from Wiseco but maybe a dozen were Wossner.

That makes me feel much more confident in the whole endeavor.
At this point, with the exception of a new oil plug cap doo dad, everything to put the motor back together when the jug and piston come back is here and waiting.

Batman, thank you for the part number. I will run up to the local dealer tuesday to get one on order... I doubt there will be one on the shelves.

Really starting to chomp at the bit to start wrenching on it lol.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:30:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another new toy, Another new forum...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.