Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Another new toy, Another new forum... (Read 1117 times)
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Another new toy, Another new forum...
08/15/17 at 07:54:11

So a deal on a pretty clean 06 ls650 with 3700 or so miles on the clock fell in my lap. It had been purchased 2nd or 3rd hand about a year ago, tinkered with just enough to get it running... then ridden about 30 miles and parked. It sat in the weather untouched until I drained the varnish out of the fuel bowl and tank. I gave it some fresh fuel, set the petcock to prime till fuel ran out of the airbox. It fired up, to my amazement; immediately. I was able to ride it home (about 10 miles) with no problems per se` at cruising speeds, but it wanted to die trying to idle.

A little bit about me...
I'm a very seasoned mechanic, machinist, welder, blacksmith, and most recently taken up my hand as a beekeeper. I have pretty much all the tools and equipment in my garage to repair, rebuild, modify, or fabricate anything the mad scientist living behind my eyelids needs to set the robot apocalypse in motion.
I have plenty of experience with most assortments and configurations of internal combustion contraptions. The softest spot in my charcoal heart is for diesel, but I enjoy the intricacies of these small air cooled jobbers almost as much.
My forte` is diagnostic and forensic mechanics. I do so enjoy identifying and solving the root cause of a mechanical failure.

Back to the bike.

It has for certain been laid down on both sides in its life.
Minor dings and scrapes, busted foot pegs.
The turn signal posts all the way around need replacements.
Clear coat on the fenders is pretty badly oxidized.
Chrome is not in too bad of shape.
Some light oxidation on the aluminum all the way around.

The good...
Everything seems to work ok.
It pulls like a freight train.
Fairly decent mileage so far at 42mpg.
Absolute top speed of 84mph so I cant get too stupid on it.
Only 3700 miles on it when I rode it home.

So far I have pulled the carb and cleaned the jets... That cured my idle issues. I have 4150 miles on the clock now and getting pretty comfortable with it. On Saturday, I went for about a 100 mile ride and issues arose.

I was pushing it a little hard against about a 10mph wind for about 30 miles. I started to hear what sounded like a shroud rattling that soon progressed to correlate with rolling on throttle. First thought was exhaust leak at head due to overheat so I backed off of it and let the needle fall to 65mpg. Immediately started hearing double exhaust report. Echoing exhaust pops from the tailpipe, and the head. Shortly after it lost power and started to die like it was running out of fuel. Switched it to reserve on a whim and it slowly picked back up. When it reached what felt like full strength about 20 seconds later I switched it back to "on" and gently cruised the last 3 miles or so into the next town. Stopped at a gas pump and topped off and let it cool down for a few. It developed a tick on the left side. The exhaust wierdness seems to have subsided but the tick persists. Oil looks good and feels unbroken.

From what I have already read.... Im looking at a problem tensioner, a loose flywheel nut, or valve lash adjustment... That about the stone skinny of it?

It still pulls like a freight train, No smoke, No abnormal backfiring...
Exhaust is pretty much solid blue to the shroud, then a blue patch after the shroud on the tailpipe.

I'll be happy to fill in any blanks I may have overlooked.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: Another new toy, Another new forum...
Reply #1 - 08/15/17 at 08:46:49

What jets were you looking at when you cleaned them ?  
Meaning, what were the sizes ?
Was the white plastic spacer still on the needle ?
What is the setting on the pilot screw ?

I would first look at the diaphragm and such in the petcock, sounds like it may be malfunctioning.

IP Logged
bobert_FSO

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Wichita KS
Reply #2 - 08/15/17 at 09:29:31

Your under-load issue sounds like the vacuum petcock. I had the same problem. It ran around town OK, but on a day out with friends, trying to maintain 65 mph against a 20 mph headwind, I kept running out of gas. If I switched to PRI, it would pick right back up. Switching back to RUN would cause it to run out of gas again in a mile or two.

It was a combination of a low-vacuum operating situation (maintaining near WOT under a heavy load) and an old, to-stiff petcock.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/15/17 at 10:29:09

LANCER wrote on 08/15/17 at 08:46:49:

I would first look at the diaphragm and such in the petcock, sounds like it may be malfunctioning.

I did not even check the sizes... just cleaned the gunk out of the orifices and slapped it all back together. I think there was some kind of spacer thing in the primary.  Have not yet read about any mods pertaining to it. That a delete kinda situation?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 08/15/17 at 14:52:28

Christof13T wrote on 08/15/17 at 10:29:09:
LANCER wrote on 08/15/17 at 08:46:49:

I did not even check the sizes... just cleaned the gunk out of the orifices and slapped it all back together. I think there was some kind of spacer thing in the primary.  Have not yet read about any mods pertaining to it. That a delete kinda situation?

Define "delete kinda situation".

We need to know what you are working with before being able to advise you.  Open up your carb and find out what's in there.

IP Logged
Steve H
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spartanburg, SC
Reply #5 - 08/15/17 at 15:15:32

The spacer is not a complete delete situation.  Look in the tech section under white spacer mod or search it on here.

It is generally replaced by a couple washers equalling about 2/3 the ful height of the spacer.

87 LS650, 2005 Ninja 250, 2009 Yamaha C3, 2001 Honda Reflex. On 2 wheels since 6/80.
  IP Logged
Tocsik
Serious Thumper

the singularity

Denver, CO
Reply #6 - 08/15/17 at 15:55:31

What year is the bike?
Most likely looking at a petcock issue.  Read about swapping it out with a genuine Yamaha Raptor.  It's a direct fit, non-vacuum petcock that cures all kinds of woes.
Doubtful the tensioner is getting out there with so few miles.

'08|Raptor|Dyna|Stock jets & no other carb changes @ 5280' alt|'slavy CCT|Kawa front pulley|130/90 rear tire|7" LED headlight|3" straight risers|FIAMM El Grande horns|Mutazu hard bags
  IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #7 - 08/16/17 at 09:23:07

The build date is 02/06.

The tick/knock is almost like piston slap...
On the ride to the convenience store a bit ago I heard what sounded like a chain dragging behind the case cover.
This is a definite mechanical knock that easily overpowers the other rattles on the bike. It sounds like it is coming from too low to be from the valve train. kinda leaning toward rod bearing failure by how it sounds.

Still hopeful tho...
Gonna do some light reading before I crack it open and have a look see.

I'll have another look in the carb and see what I can see.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #8 - 08/16/17 at 10:30:12

Although it's pretty young to be the cam chain, you don't know the back history so I'd say it's worth a look.

Chain dragging, knocking low down are real red flags.
If it's cam chain, the knocking will occur just to the rear of the oil filter.
Put your hand there and you'll feel it.

Piston slap you won't be able to locate it.
Mine was due to a burnt piston.
If you have an eyeball on a stick, pull sparky and check the edge of the piston.
Mine was near the far intake.

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #9 - 08/16/17 at 19:10:39

I do have an electric eyeball but it is too dang big to fit... will have to borrow my buddy's with the 5 or 6mm doo dad.

Yeah... pretty certain it is down low.

I don't have a suzuki dealer local that I am aware of for sourcing parts... so once I crack it open it will just have to stay out of service until I can source parts or gaskets and whatnot online.

IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #10 - 08/16/17 at 19:26:04

verslagen1,

Looking at the modified tensioner you offer... it looks like the housing is slotted on both sides, the plunger is drilled, and a roll pin pressed in... If mine has not catastrophically failed... is there any reason I couldnt slap it on my mill and replicate your method to secure it? What is that about an 1/8th " slot? (Haven't pulled it apart yet so no frame of size reference lol)

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 08/16/17 at 20:04:04

3/16" slot 1/8" pin only thru 1 wall
if you drive the pin in too far it will lock up the spring

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #12 - 08/16/17 at 22:25:12

Gotcha.

This tick/knock really has me scratching my head.
It's source seems to move with my ear lol.
I did not feel any significant vibration associated with the tick/knock at the case cover behind the oil filter cover. I previously did not hear the noise around the head... but listening to it earlier today I just can't be sure. It's not quite to that tell tell sign of a counterweight kissing the bottom of the piston from rod journal being chewed but darn if it doesn't sound like that double tick of slack being taken up at tdc and bdc and the lightest kiss of the piston to the head. I still cant fathom that much damage at the mileage unless someone ran it with no oil at some point?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #13 - 08/16/17 at 22:44:57

the counter balancer will hit the bottom of the cylinder, not the piston.

WWW   IP Logged
Christof13T

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Vicoria, Texas
Reply #14 - 08/17/17 at 06:06:41

verslagen1 wrote on 08/16/17 at 22:44:57:
the counter balancer will hit the bottom of the cylinder, not the piston.

So the rod length ensures clearance between counterweight and piston...
Counterweight should not contact cylinder unless mains have let loose and allowed the crank to walk around, correct?

After more reading I have the sneaking suspicion it's the wrist pin.
Still hoping it is something ... else... lol

I'm gonna see if I can get a decent video of it posted.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:32:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Another new toy, Another new forum...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.