Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
VOA on Rotella T4 - Oil discussion (Read 234 times)
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
VOA on Rotella T4 - Oil discussion
08/11/17 at 00:42:10

http://pqiadata.org/Shell_Rotella_T4_15W40_4192017.html

Looks like they subbed in some extra Boron, but all the rest seems pretty much same same as Triple Protection @ 1,000 PPM ZDDP used to be.

I believe the ZDDP bump table in Tech Section stays the same .....  we increased it back when ZDDP dropped from 1,100 to 1,000 PPM a while ago, and those numbers still look to be good today as well.

There is a debate about the carbide wear pads that "may have been" added to the late model Savage's rocker arms that MIGHT be in your engine that mebbe you might not need all of the booster table addition ZDDP amounts.

HOWEVER,

1) Do ya really know what style of rockers are actually really in your engine?   We sure don't as the wear pads were an unevenly done addition to production parts AND certainly have never penetrated the replacement parts warehouses rocker stocks 100% as of today.

2) Intentionally transferring all the wear to your cam lobe tips by using super hard carbide wear pads on the rockers means the lobe tips simply get shorter that much faster.   HAVING ENOUGH ZDDP slows down this wear factor on your cam lobe tips.

3)  ZDDP works against cam chain wear out as well, and that is a perennial thing we also watch out for here on the list.

« Last Edit: 08/13/17 at 12:07:32 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: VOA on Rotella T4 is here !!!!
Reply #1 - 08/11/17 at 01:37:19

IIRC, the suggested ZDDP bump is one ounce/gallon?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #2 - 08/11/17 at 01:42:05

We have a table in the tech section that allows you to park it on any desired ZDDP PPM level you choose, but yes, the 1 oz per gallon jug is a nominal amount.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/11/17 at 01:43:24

BTW, Justin,  are you coming to MM's farm?    Hope so, anyway, as I have never met you face to face yet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #4 - 08/11/17 at 01:45:15

I haven't been able to ride in over a month. I'm not even driving right now.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #5 - 08/11/17 at 03:00:16

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/11/17 at 00:42:10:

1) Do ya really know what style of rockers are actually really in your engine?   We sure don't as the wear pads were an unevenly done addition to production parts AND certainly have never penetrated the replacement parts warehouses rocker stocks 100% as of today.

2) Intentionally transferring all the wear to your cam lobe tips by using super hard carbide wear pads on the rockers means the lobe tips simply get shorter that much faster.   HAVING ENOUGH ZDDP slows down this wear factor on your cam lobe tips.

I am not sure how accurate those two statements are:

1)  Looking at the online parts list the "old" 1 piece intake and exhaust rocker arms were used up until the 2004 model year.  The old intake rocker is part number 12840-07F00 and the old exhaust rocker is part number 12850-07F00.  In the 2005 parts list - both the intake and exhaust show the new part numbers......12840-24B10 for the intake and 12850-24B10 for the exhaust.  Currently the online parts lists show that the new rockers can be interchanged into the older bikes - however the part has not been "superceded" - so if you order the old part numbers you will get the 1 piece rockers.  If you are replacing rockers you should order the newer 2 piece rockers, and you can mix and match - the exhaust rocker tend to wear faster and if the intake is still good you can reuse it.  (And Oldfeller is correct that we don't know exactly when Suzuki stopped using the older style in the production bikes....my 2007 has the newer style from the factory).

2)  I don't believe that having a different material on the rocker will "absolutely" cause more wear to occur on the cam lobe...and we are only assuming that the brazed on pad is harder (all I know for sure is that it is different and seems to be more durable).  Up to this point no one has provided evidence of a damaged or worn out rockers or cam after Suzuki switched to the newer style rocker.  The 2 piece rockers have been in use for 12 years, and yet we have not seen any damage yet.

So.....my suggestion would be that if you are rebuilding your engine and you want to make the engine as durable as possible - order the newer style rockers and sell your old ones on eBay.

Youzguyz has proven that the early style rockers can go 150,000 miles and more - provided that you use a good oil with enough ZDDP.....which is the subject of this thread.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #6 - 08/11/17 at 06:28:20

I won't know the effect, but this week I changed my oil and used T4 with 1oz ZDDP as usual. Compared to the old T6 and T, the T4 smells and looks the same, and tastes the same too  Huh

Hopefully we get a break Saturday from this two weeks of rain so I can ride some.

« Last Edit: 08/11/17 at 07:53:58 by stewmills »  

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #7 - 08/11/17 at 06:42:12

Compared to the old T6 and T, the T4 smells and looks the same, and testes the same too .

We don't Know if it really does have the same balls yet.

IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #8 - 08/11/17 at 07:54:50

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/11/17 at 06:42:12:
Compared to the old T6 and T, the T4 smells and looks the same, and testes the same too .

We don't Know if it really does have the same balls yet.

Corrected. Although I like to think my bike has big balls, that was not the intended message  Grin Grin Grin

2008 | 152/52.5–Air Mix 3/4 | Rotella T4 | Seat Lift w/Sheepskin | Speedo Rattle | Rear Pulley Shim | 140/90-15 Rear | Kaw Front Pulley | Relocated Rear Signals

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
stewmills
Serious Thumper

Imagination is more
important than
knowledge

Auburn, AL
Reply #9 - 08/11/17 at 12:26:30

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/11/17 at 01:45:15:
I haven't been able to ride in over a month. I'm not even driving right now.

Is this why?  It is in Texas!?!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URq3LWGiylU

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE!
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/11/17 at 18:54:11

Dave gives us deeper/better info on the newer rocker part numbers, and yep, you should order the new rocker part numbers if you need a set of rockers to go with a new cam.

Hard wear pads on rockers have been used before (Porsche did this early on) and the net effect is that the relatively softer part in the set wears relatively "faster".    

Since everything remains smooth longer the wear rate on the pair is much less than the roughed up wear rate on a set of torn up rockers that has already started the chain of destruction.   Once rapid wear begins and is tallied, the tips of the cams have much less mass & area to them to wear away compared to the flat mass of the now harder rocker pads.  

With the pads staying smoother much longer, I think the pad/cam lobe set will last a lot longer (with good ZDDP levels being present, even longer yet).

Cam chain wear on the pins and bushings is a fact, and ZDDP does help with this wear.   Cam chains wear out much faster than rocker/cam lobes .....

I guess the biggest reason to keep your ZDDP level on up there is that the entire engine was designed (and tested) to run that way, and dropping ZDDP to low levels may affect many things.

However (and forever) it is your bike, so you do what you want to do with it.

« Last Edit: 08/13/17 at 13:28:55 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
piedmontbuckeye

Go Bucks!

Easley, SC
Reply #11 - 08/13/17 at 07:30:29

What oil is currently recommended for the new LS650's by Suzuki factory, and what are its properties as relating to the discussion of this thread?

"The difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't change every time congress meets." - Will Rogers
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #12 - 08/13/17 at 11:36:21

High ZDDP SF oil was recommended in 1986-2002 when my bike was new.   SF oil was still recommended in 2005 as well.   Issue with Suzuki's oil recommendation is that the high ZDDP SF grade oil hasn't been available for years.

Rotella was the closest available oil, one that has been recommended and used by multiple bike and car groups since then.

Has Suzuki "teched" themselves out of all the wear issues with the new wear pads?.   Yes, perhaps relative to the rocker/cam interface itself, but No, not really because the cam chain wear out issue is still untouched and that cam chain issue is still a faster acting death than any other issue out there.

And yes, you can change the tensioner and replace the chain when it wears out, but having this happen in approximately 30,000 miles still says Suzuki hasn't addressed all the life limiting oil related wear out issues.

To answer your question requires an owners manual from a post 2010 bike that is KNOWN to have the rocker pads on the cam rockers.

And you are hoping that Suzuki changed their oil recommendation?   If so, why should we pay attention to that new recommendation since Suzuki went nearly 20 years recommending a high ZDDP oil that you couldn't ever buy?    

And Suzuki now bottles and sells a "Suzuki oil" at the stealership that is KNOWN not to be good for the Savage engine?   And if you went there today and asked at the counter they would recommend their house brand of wrong stuff as "factory recommended"?

Roll Eyes     .....  here you go, pay the man and go see if the recommendation changed any .....

https://www.google.com/search?q=2017+suzuki+boulevard+s40+owners+manual+pdf&o...

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #13 - 08/14/17 at 04:10:33

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/13/17 at 11:36:21:

And Suzuki now bottles and sells a "Suzuki oil" at the stealership that is KNOWN not to be good for the Savage engine?   And if you went there today and asked at the counter they would recommend their house brand of wrong stuff as "factory recommended"?

The 2002 that I bought used needed the cam and rocker replaced.  I asked him what oil he was using, and he responded "Whatever the dealer sold me ".

NOTE:  Some of the damage may be from starting and running the bike on the sidestand for a warmup......and from running it on the sidestand in the winter to charge the battery/keep the fuel fresh.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Re: VOA on Rotella T4 - Oil discussion
Reply #14 - 08/15/17 at 06:16:31

I don't think my bench grinder could scuff up a valve train that bad ! Roll Eyes

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 08:31:11

General CategoryThe Cafe › VOA on Rotella T4 - Oil discussion

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.