Got soaked. (Read 63 times)
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Got soaked.
08/06/17 at 11:37:44

I went for a ride yesterday early afternoon. I knew it was supposed to rain so I took rain gear and went anyway. On the way back I was hoping to beat the rain, but no such luck, I got drenched. Yes, I could have pulled over and put on my rain gear but it was just too hot so I decided to get wet. The sky opened up but the real issue was the severe wind gusts. Anyway, made it home safe and sound, just soaked.

So, I take advantage to report that the service style boots (leather and 1200 denier nylon) are not even close to water resistant, let alone water proof. In case anybody was wondering.

It was hot enough that once it stopped raining I put my gloves and jacket on top of the car on the drive way and they were pretty much dry by the time I went for another ride at around 6:30 pm.

Oh, I can also report that the Shinko tourmaster tires do a fine job in the heavy rain and the volar brake pads did too.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
1st2know

Currently between
Savages

Seattle, WA
Re: Got soaked.
Reply #1 - 08/06/17 at 12:28:51

One of the things I noticed on the LS650 in the rain, when hitting puddles, my lower legs catch the splash from the front tire as it  goes through puddles. This leads to my calves getting soaked, which then drips down in to my boots.
With the same boots on an upright bike with midsets, I don't get this type of boots-soaked-from-the-inside problem.

Overall, I think this bike is pretty safe in the rain(with non-stock tires) - the only time I've locked up the wheels is on wet leaves or mud on the roadway.

Kaw VN1700, V-Strom 650, Coal powered Chevy Spark.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/06/17 at 13:56:48

I put my feet on the motor.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
springman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Spring, Texas
Reply #3 - 08/06/17 at 17:01:29

I don't know about putting my feet on the motor, but the heat from the motor does help to keep you warm once soaked.

I agree with you 1st2know, when wearing roper boots and getting caught in the rain the same thing as happened to me. The boots act like little buckets to trap the water.

06 S40 seat mod, airhawk, HD muffler, Shinko 712 140-90-15 rear tire, Shinko 230 front tire, versy cam chain tensioner, Rotella oil, Volar brake pads, EBC clutch & springs
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #4 - 08/07/17 at 05:15:35

Springman:

The last time I was reeeaaaaalllly drenched, was with you and Artwebb when were were riding in NC...coming up the hill out of Brevard.  That was really a hard rain, and I have been able to avoid rain like that for the last 3 years!

My waterproof boots proved not be be waterproof in those conditions.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/07/17 at 07:04:47

Treat leather with 100% silicone oil.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/30/24 at 06:28:16

General CategoryThe Cafe › Got soaked.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.