Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Show me the stupid..... (Read 145 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Show me the stupid.....
Reply #15 - 08/03/17 at 11:18:14

Immigration LAW isn't made by poets. Great warm fuzzy feelings aren't what rational adults use as decision making guideposts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #16 - 08/03/17 at 11:18:27

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/03/17 at 10:56:54:
Public AND private business need to adhere to their set agenda, via some quota matrix they devise under the banner of fairness...

Capital is invested to make money.
Not to create jobs or engender a situation that would be deemed Fair.
Decent people avoid creating Unfair where possible, and we have rules for commerce.

Or maybe I didn't understand what you said.. it could be clarified.

Here Jog, I was trying to say using business, as a means to satisfy a belief, be it sexism, or racism, etc, through goverment sanctioned doctrine, and policies, to make things "fair" is promoting one ideology,  over another, wholesale, which, is then used as a tool to get folks to vote that party policies.
A business that has never been charged with any discrimination, but must prove it hasn't, by adopting these programs, or face consequences....
It can put a unfair burden on those businesses, as well.

It quickly becomes a tool for those holding power.

Does that make any sense?

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 08/03/17 at 11:20:15

raydawg wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:11:46:
Ok, lets go back to those days, put everything in context, with a time stamp, etc....

White guys ruled, period.

So?...Um... that's not the point of this post, is it?

Selective outrage is just that.
Pick and choose, make a square peg fit a round hole, why.....
Because we care, we are compassionate, and preach tolerance, well, selectively, I mean, if you earn it and are worthy, GEE, sorta like the same criteria for immigration, whoa.....  

You should try to stick to the issue at hand - namely, the moron presidential spokesperson who thought it was cool to rewrite history.
But hey - it's your post - far be it from me to tell you how to run it.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #18 - 08/03/17 at 11:22:12

T And T Garage wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:20:15:
raydawg wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:11:46:
Ok, lets go back to those days, put everything in context, with a time stamp, etc....

White guys ruled, period.

Selective outrage is just that.
Pick and choose, make a square peg fit a round hole, why.....
Because we care, we are compassionate, and preach tolerance, well, selectively, I mean, if you earn it and are worthy, GEE, sorta like the same criteria for immigration, whoa.....  

You should try to stick to the issue at hand - namely, the moron presidential spokesperson who thought it was cool to rewrite history.
But hey - it's your post - far be it from me to tell you how to run it.

Uh, you just did......

Comprehension much?

Oh look, silly me..........again.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #19 - 08/03/17 at 11:24:05

You wake up and see you've been doing something wrong.
Do you Rewrite History and stop being an idiot or are you obliged to continue in an exercise in stupidity?

See how easily I counter lefty ideology?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #20 - 08/03/17 at 11:26:18

raydawg wrote on 08/03/17 at 11:22:12:
Uh, you just did......

Comprehension much? (the proper vernacular is "comprehend much?")

Oh look, silly me..........again.  Correct, you are silly

OK then, how about questions?

Was the president's spokesperson right or wrong about the poem?

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #21 - 08/03/17 at 12:23:19

From Wikipedia: A ceremony of dedication was held on the afternoon of October 28, 1886.

In 1903, a bronze tablet that bears the text of Emma Lazarus's sonnet, "The New Colossus" (1883), was presented by friends of the poet. Until the 1986 renovation, it was mounted inside the pedestal; today it resides in the Statue of Liberty Museum, in the base.

So from this and elsewhere I've read, of course Miller was correct. The poem was added later.

Do you or anyone else have anything that is different from this? I found these same dates in several places. I can't say I remember hearing the poem was added later, but I have hear/read stuff how the poem doesn't really match the original meaning behind the statue.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #22 - 08/03/17 at 12:36:39

WebsterMark wrote on 08/03/17 at 12:23:19:
From Wikipedia: A ceremony of dedication was held on the afternoon of October 28, 1886.

In 1903, a bronze tablet that bears the text of Emma Lazarus's sonnet, "The New Colossus" (1883), was presented by friends of the poet. Until the 1986 renovation, it was mounted inside the pedestal; today it resides in the Statue of Liberty Museum, in the base.

So from this and elsewhere I've read, of course Miller was correct. The poem was added later.

Do you or anyone else have anything that is different from this? I found these same dates in several places. I can't say I remember hearing the poem was added later, but I have hear/read stuff how the poem doesn't really match the original meaning behind the statue.

Did you purposefully ignore this?  Also from Wiki:

Fundraising for the statue had begun in 1882. The committee organized a large number of money-raising events.[81] As part of one such effort, an auction of art and manuscripts, poet Emma Lazarus was asked to donate an original work. She initially declined, stating she could not write a poem about a statue. At the time, she was also involved in aiding refugees to New York who had fled anti-Semitic pogroms in eastern Europe. These refugees were forced to live in conditions that the wealthy Lazarus had never experienced. She saw a way to express her empathy for these refugees in terms of the statue.[82] The resulting sonnet, "The New Colossus", including the iconic lines "Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free", is uniquely identified with the Statue of Liberty and is inscribed on a plaque in the museum in its base.[83]

Therefore, in essence, this poem has always been associated with the Statue of Liberty.

Miller was NOT correct.  The poem was integral to getting funding for the statue.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #23 - 08/03/17 at 12:46:26

So I took some time to read up.

The poem was one of many items used to raise funds. It was all but forgotten about after the dedication. Some 15 years later, it was 'found' again and a cause undertaken to put it on a plaque which 'repurposed' the statue.

Why?

I found that prior to 1890, individual states regulated immigration into the country. In 1892, (6 years after the statue was dedicated) Ellis Island became the entry point for not just New York State, but primarily for the nation.

So, it seems that the meaning behind the statue did in fact change over a relatively short period of time because the island it was on was used as an immigration point. Had the statue been set in lower Manhattan, it would probably still retain it's original meaning which was a celebration and thanks for the freedom and democracy spread by the USA.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #24 - 08/03/17 at 12:52:41

Therefore, in essence, this poem has always been associated with the Statue of Liberty.

Miller was NOT correct.  The poem was integral to getting funding for the statue.

No. In a few people's minds, that was true because of it's location. For the population as a whole and for the artist who created it, that was not it's intent.

The poem was not integral to the funding for the statue, it was funding for the pedestal. Granted, that might be like splitting hairs.

What I can't find is how much money the poem raised at the original auction. Can anyone?

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 08/03/17 at 12:58:47

WebsterMark wrote on 08/03/17 at 12:46:26:
So I took some time to read up.

The poem was one of many items used to raise funds. It was all but forgotten about after the dedication. Some 15 years later, it was 'found' again and a cause undertaken to put it on a plaque which 'repurposed' the statue.

Why?

Where did you read that?  I have not seen that anywhere.

I found that prior to 1890, individual states regulated immigration into the country. In 1892, (6 years after the statue was dedicated) Ellis Island became the entry point for not just New York State, but primarily for the nation.

So, it seems that the meaning behind the statue did in fact change over a relatively short period of time because the island it was on was used as an immigration point. Had the statue been set in lower Manhattan, it would probably still retain it's original meaning which was a celebration and thanks for the freedom and democracy spread by the USA.

Well, sorry to break this to you but the Statue of Liberty is NOT on Ellis Island.....

You really should know that if you're going to comment..... smh.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 08/03/17 at 13:09:14

nice try, but that's not what I meant and you know it. The statue is on an island right next to it. I know that, you know that, everyone knows that. In fact, what I just did proves the effectiveness of the Statue being co-opted for the immigration cause.

You're just trying to divert from the fact liberals have confiscated the original meaning of the statue.

Now, watch what happens in the news. Small details will be left out of this story or flat out lied about in order to make Miller and the Republicans seem wrong.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #27 - 08/03/17 at 13:10:59

Quote:
With the abolition of slavery and the Union's victory in the Civil War in 1865, Laboulaye's wishes of freedom and democracy were turning into a reality in the United States. In order to honor these achievements, Laboulaye proposed that a gift be built for the United States on behalf of France. Laboulaye hoped that by calling attention to the recent achievements of the United States, the French people would be inspired to call for their own democracy in the face of a repressive monarchy.

When Laboulaye's Statue of "Liberty Enlightening the World" was completed, it not only represented democracy but also symbolized American independence and the end of all types of servitude and oppression. A broken shackle and chain lie at the Statue's right foot. The chain disappears beneath the draperies, only to reappear in front of her left foot, its end link broken. However, although the broken shackle is a powerful image, the meaning behind it was not yet a reality for African Americans in 1886.

WWW   IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #28 - 08/03/17 at 13:12:12

When the American Committee for the Statue of Liberty ran out of funds for the Statue's pedestal in 1884, newspaper publisher Joseph Pulitzer came to the rescue. Through urging the American public to donate money towards the pedestal in his newspaper New York World, Pulitzer raised over $100,000 in six months- more than enough money to ensure the pedestal's completion. As an article published in New York World on March 16, 1885 argued,

We must raise the money! The World is the people's paper, and now it appeals to the people to come forward and raise the money. The $250,000 that the making of the Statue cost was paid in by the masses of the French people- by the working men, the tradesmen, the shop girls, the artisans- by all, irrespective of class or condition. Let us respond in like manner. Let us not wait for the millionaires to give us this money. It is not a gift from the millionaires of France to the millionaires of America, but a gift of the whole people of France to the whole people of America.

The article's appeal was so popular that by August 11, 1885, the World collected over $100,000 in donations - most donations being about $1 or less. Roughly 125,000 people contributed to the completion of the pedestal thanks to Pulitzer's crusade. In thanks, the World published the names of each person who made a contribution (no matter its size), an act that also advanced the sales of Pulitzer's newspaper. Pulitzer died on October 29, 1911.

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 08/03/17 at 13:15:45

Creator / originator

Joseph Pulitzer, The New York World

Summary / objectives

To raise enough funds ($200,000 in 1885, equivalent to $2.3million today) to build a pedestal for the Statue of Liberty to stand on.

Background

The Statue of Liberty was a gift from France to America and was to be placed on a pedestal on New York harbour paid for by America. When the statue reached New York, the New Yorkers had not managed to raise enough funds because the wealthy philanthropists and the government were not willing to fund it. The statue lay in crates for over a year and it was a great shame for New York. Other cities, such as Boston and Philadelphia, were willing to fund it but only in exchange for the statue.

Joseph Pulitzer stepped in and, through his newspaper The New York World, ran a fundraising campaign targeted to working-class Americans and promised a reward. He promised to publish the name of every individual who donated on the front page of The World, no matter how small the amount. There was a clear reward system: any donation of $1 received a 6-inch replica of the statue and it was a 12-inch statue for each $5 donation. People saw others give so they gave too, it was a ripple effect. By autumn 1885, within six months of launching the appeal, over 120,000 people had donated over $100,000, $2.3million today, with most donations being under $1. Not only that but his paper’s circulation increased by 50,000.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 20:02:27

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Show me the stupid.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.