Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Show me the stupid..... (Read 145 times)
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Show me the stupid.....
08/02/17 at 19:31:02

Ask Forest, stupid is as stupid does......

What a buffoon.
I have serious concerns about this policy, but that CNN bozo must think he is so smart.....haha!

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/08/02/immigration-stephen-miller-...

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Show me the stupid.....
Reply #1 - 08/03/17 at 04:18:19

What possible concerns could you have?
If you owned rental property, you'd want to make sure whomever moved in could pay  the rent and not end up costing you money right?

IP Logged
pg
Serious Thumper

In Transit
Reply #2 - 08/03/17 at 04:50:13

7 minute clip of the exchange.   Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLRM50WyYkQ

Best regards,

I don't make the rules, I just know what they are.....

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/03/17 at 04:54:31

I have serious concerns

Suchazz?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/03/17 at 05:13:19

That video is why these press updates shouldn't be televised. Reporters want to be stars.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #5 - 08/03/17 at 05:50:06

Where is it written that failed policy must not be changed?
I don't CARE what someone's Feeling s are regarding the nebulous concept of
What America is About..
I think it's incredibly odd that the people who resist change in policy that injure s America are so ready to adopt New Attitudes toward things that were so normal.
Where were these jerkwads on Religious Freedom and the baker? Absolutely ZERO grasp of reasonable and right and wrong. Sadly, that idiot has Americans who cheer him. And I couldn't stomach the show
Mighta made a minute.. listening to ignorant emotionalism as it is used as cover for some Great Good affects my stomach..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/03/17 at 07:44:02

First and foremost, Miller's rebuttal contained a disavowal of the poem that is found at the base of the Statue of Liberty. "I don't want to get off into a whole thing about history here, but the Statue of Liberty is a symbol of liberty lighting the world," Miller said, adding, "the poem you are referring to, which was added later, is not part of the original Statue of Liberty." In reality, the poem was written for the unveiling of the statue by poet Emma Lazarus, who donated it to an auction to raise money for the pedestal. Not only was Miller's assertion factually incorrect, but it was also just a terrible look for the White House; the Statue of Liberty is an icon of the United States' inclusiveness and serves as a symbolic beacon to all those who seek asylum.

The second piece of information that Miller got wrong, however, is far more consequential. "Right now it's a requirement that, to be naturalized, you have to speak English," Miller said, dripping with condescension, "so the notion that speaking English wouldn't be part of our immigration system would be very ahistorical." Speaking fluent English is not - nor has it ever been - a requirement to become a naturalized citizen in the United States.
According to the United States Citizen and Immigration Services, "A naturalization applicant must only demonstrate an ability to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage," which means that applicants can have "noticeable errors in pronouncing, constructing, spelling, and understanding completely certain words, phrases, and sentences" and still pass. Put quite simply: you don't have to be a native speaker to become an American. Individuals can also receive an exemption from this clause for a variety of reasons, including having lived in the country for a certain span of time and being over a certain age, or having a disability.

In the wake of the press briefing, many organizations were quick to issue press releases that condemned Miller's words. But the executive director of the Anne Frank Center, Steven Goldstein, said it best: "His subpar knowledge of American history, as reflected in Emma Lazarus' poem, means he couldn't pass President Trump's new immigration test. Therefore, Stephen, please leave."

Chelsea Hassler - Yahoo

http://www.yahoo.com/news/2-comments-white-house-made-023023045.html

IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/03/17 at 08:27:05

From Wikipedia: A ceremony of dedication was held on the afternoon of October 28, 1886.

In 1903, a bronze tablet that bears the text of Emma Lazarus's sonnet, "The New Colossus" (1883), was presented by friends of the poet. Until the 1986 renovation, it was mounted inside the pedestal; today it resides in the Statue of Liberty Museum, in the base.

So from this and elsewhere I've read, of course Miller was correct. The poem was added later.

In the bigger picture, this is yet another example of how conservative thought is the adult in the room. Liberals will protest common sense limits placed on policies which have the best of intentions, but with disastrous consequences.

I believe firmly 'to whom much is given, much is expected' and that we are our brothers keeper, but in both cases, it does no good to destroy the very thing that enables our nation to reach out to others in need.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #8 - 08/03/17 at 08:38:17

WebsterMark wrote on 08/03/17 at 04:18:19:
What possible concerns could you have?
If you owned rental property, you'd want to make sure whomever moved in could pay  the rent and not end up costing you money right?

We have seen the party in power use laws, and policies, to their own benefit,
like the IRS, etc, recently.
I get the point that the things listed will much improve a persons chance to success here, that is a no brainer.  
I guess I am thinking the liberals would use this type of reasoning to put up quotas, etc, of who could enter, so they can build a society to their whims.

“The biggest big business in America is not steel, automobiles, or television. It is the manufacture, refinement and distribution of anxiety.”—Eric Sevareid (1964)
  IP Logged
WebsterMark
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 08/03/17 at 08:48:14

they do that now to a degree. bringing in those who've gone through the worst of situations and then setting them up as victims because republicans won't give them everything they want is a way to guarantee a high percentage of their votes. the consequences don't impact their lives. You think Nancy Pelosi lives next to the skill-less, broke, diseased,  radicalized immigrants she demands we allow in?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #10 - 08/03/17 at 08:51:27

You think Nancy Pelosi lives next to the skill-less, broke, diseased,  radicalized immigrants she demands we allow in?

As if such an obvious point would make a lefty think.

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #11 - 08/03/17 at 09:11:07

WebsterMark wrote on 08/03/17 at 08:48:14:
they do that now to a degree. bringing in those who've gone through the worst of situations and then setting them up as victims because republicans won't give them everything they want is a way to guarantee a high percentage of their votes. the consequences don't impact their lives. You think Nancy Pelosi lives next to the skill-less, broke, diseased,  radicalized immigrants she demands we allow in?

That is my concern Web.....
They already use this power to decide "who" in education, gets in, and what they teach.

Public AND private business need to adhere to their set agenda, via some quota matrix they devise under the banner of fairness....

Look, they want to tell us where to pee, or withhold funding if we don't agree to their mandates.
But of course if you try that with sanctuary cities where democrats say stuff it, etc, to the laws now.

Look how they use the courts to supersede what the masses want, uh, for our own good, as deplorable is too stupid to knows....

I want less power at the federal level, not more.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #12 - 08/03/17 at 10:56:54

Public AND private business need to adhere to their set agenda, via some quota matrix they devise under the banner of fairness...

Capital is invested to make money.
Not to create jobs or engender a situation that would be deemed Fair.
Decent people avoid creating Unfair where possible, and we have rules for commerce.

Or maybe I didn't understand what you said.. it could be clarified.

IP Logged
T And T Garage
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/03/17 at 11:06:24

WebsterMark wrote on 08/03/17 at 08:27:05:
From Wikipedia: A ceremony of dedication was held on the afternoon of October 28, 1886.

In 1903, a bronze tablet that bears the text of Emma Lazarus's sonnet, "The New Colossus" (1883), was presented by friends of the poet. Until the 1986 renovation, it was mounted inside the pedestal; today it resides in the Statue of Liberty Museum, in the base.

So from this and elsewhere I've read, of course Miller was correct. The poem was added later.

In the bigger picture, this is yet another example of how conservative thought is the adult in the room. Liberals will protest common sense limits placed on policies which have the best of intentions, but with disastrous consequences.

I believe firmly 'to whom much is given, much is expected' and that we are our brothers keeper, but in both cases, it does no good to destroy the very thing that enables our nation to reach out to others in need.  

Um... context web... CONTEXT:

Fundraising for the statue had begun in 1882. The committee organized a large number of money-raising events.[81] As part of one such effort, an auction of art and manuscripts, poet Emma Lazarus was asked to donate an original work. She initially declined, stating she could not write a poem about a statue. At the time, she was also involved in aiding refugees to New York who had fled anti-Semitic pogroms in eastern Europe. These refugees were forced to live in conditions that the wealthy Lazarus had never experienced. She saw a way to express her empathy for these refugees in terms of the statue.[82] The resulting sonnet, "The New Colossus", including the iconic lines "Give me your tired, your poor/Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free", is uniquely identified with the Statue of Liberty and is inscribed on a plaque in the museum in its base.[83]

IP Logged
raydawg
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

pacific northwest
Reply #14 - 08/03/17 at 11:11:46

Ok, lets go back to those days, put everything in context, with a time stamp, etc....

White guys ruled, period.

Selective outrage is just that.
Pick and choose, make a square peg fit a round hole, why.....
Because we care, we are compassionate, and preach tolerance, well, selectively, I mean, if you earn it and are worthy, GEE, sorta like the same criteria for immigration, whoa.....  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/16/24 at 19:35:16

General CategoryPolitics, Religion (Tall Table) › Show me the stupid.....

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.