Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New exhaust, filter, jetting. Observations. (Read 144 times)
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

New exhaust, filter, jetting. Observations.
07/24/17 at 11:48:15

This past weekend I did some work on our savage. The craziest thing is that it had a 230 main jet in it. I thought at first that the brand of jet could have been different meaning the numbering wouldn't be the same as mikuni but no, the hole in the 230 jet was massive. I honestly can't believe the bike ran with that jet. I swapped in a 155, used 2 #4 spacers on the needle, and left the pilot jet alone. I put on a sportster muffler I got from a friend (unfortunately it was missing the baffles and is absurdly loud) and I did the Oldfeller filter mod.

The bike is a whole new animal. Revs and makes power much higher, carries my 200lbs to highway speed in 4th, and will pull to 85mph relatively easily. It does have a pretty serious pop on decel, I haven't readjusted the idle mixture after re-spacing the needle. And I also notice its got a bit of an inconsistent surge at cruising throttle. I will probably look for a baffle Dyna muffler then continue messing with the jetting to get it just right. So far I am very impressed with the power this bike makes after these simple mods.

IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Re: New exhaust, filter, jetting. Observations.
Reply #1 - 07/24/17 at 13:52:01

great update - thanks.  I am excited to try a rejet to match the Dyna myself. Hope I can find where-ever I put them.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

The Kiewa Valley, Australia
Reply #2 - 07/24/17 at 16:57:34

It sounds like the previous owner worked on the carb and mixed up the air jet from the top of the carb with the fuel jet from the bottom of the carb. Others on this site have reported a similar experience.

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #3 - 07/24/17 at 16:59:17

And ... a baffled muffler, as you have planned, should aleviate most of the other systems. The Savage doesn't perform well with an open pipe ... so I have read on here  Wink

S40, 2014, Dyna, Raptor, 52.5/152.5, spacer mod, sea level, cat-eye LED tail light, bullet style halogen turn signals, 'Superbars' with custom 40mm risers, modified stock seat, Metzeler tyres.
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #4 - 07/24/17 at 17:00:28

Oh, one last thought. Did you install the brass washer along with the main jet. It's important  Smiley

IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 07/24/17 at 17:10:37

IslandRoad wrote on 07/24/17 at 17:00:28:
Oh, one last thought. Did you install the brass washer along with the main jet. It's important  Smiley

Which brass washer?

IP Logged
ohiomoto
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 07/24/17 at 17:39:39

Yep, that 230 should be in the top of the carb.  I bet you find a 155 up there!

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #7 - 07/24/17 at 19:27:29

230 (6mm) is the large air jet on top ,the brass washer holds the needle jet(the cylinder with the holes) up in place when you screw in the main jet. You can return the Dyna muffler to stock by driving a 1 1/4 " freeze plug  half way down the muffler from the inlet end.

« Last Edit: 07/24/17 at 20:52:18 by batman »  

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
IslandRoad
Serious Thumper

It doesn't vibrate,
it purrs!

Reply #8 - 07/24/17 at 21:36:26

metalbrian45 wrote on 07/24/17 at 17:10:37:
IslandRoad wrote on 07/24/17 at 17:00:28:

Which brass washer?

I'll take that as a 'no'.  Wink
Just to add to what Batman said, there's supposed to be a washer that sits around the thread of the main jet - like a spacer. I think without it you get too much fuel from that jet.

While we're on the subject, you might want to remove the idle mix screw (carefully) and check if there is a spring, a tiny washer, and a very tiny o ring on there. It's easy to lose and will cause frustrating symptoms while tuning if it's not there.

IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 07/25/17 at 06:11:47

Ok things are starting to make sense. I probably got the jets switched around when I took the carb apart to clean it. I also remember a brass washer that I couldn't figure out where it came from when I was reassembling. It's somewhere on the carb. Looks like I am taking the carb back apart to put everything back in place. I need to swap the pilot jet anyways since I haven't messed with it yet. Thanks for all the help guys!

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #10 - 07/25/17 at 06:50:12

It's okay to just stick stuff wherever you can make it fit..
If you're playing with
Mr. Potatohead!
Carburetors, ehh, notsomuch.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #11 - 07/25/17 at 08:35:05

The surge at cruising is probably due to the fact that you have no baffle in the Dyna,this is why straight piping doesn't work, it causes a sag in the torque curve at part throttle openings .You need to restore the baffle with a soft/freeze plug ( used to plug the water jackets in the sides of auto motor heads,that you can buy at any parts store)as no amount of carb tuning will cure the sag.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Old School Bobbers
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 07/28/17 at 11:13:11

Take a look at " 6 SIGMA " jetting kits, Ive used them in a number of bikes including 4 X S40s. The only thing they do not give is a new needle, but the do include a Pilot jet, a number of main jets etc. They also ask a number of questions as to where you live before calculating what jets you need.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 11:19:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New exhaust, filter, jetting. Observations.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.