Send Topic Print
Exhaust idea (Read 144 times)
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Exhaust idea
07/20/17 at 10:50:17

So as per you guy's suggestion I have been looking in to the Dyna muffler and I haven't completely decided against it. I don't too much car for the look. I come from a Harley background, and while thinking about exhaust options for our Savage I had an idea. My Vance and Hines pipes on my Street bob came with straight though metal baffles which are incredibly loud. I took them out and replaced them with the V&H "quite" baffles which are fiberglass wrapped and capped on one end which allows the exhaust to flow around the cap but supposedly creates better back-pressure/exhaust gas scavenging than the straight through standard baffles and generates a much deeper and more rounded sound without the raspyness. Now I was going to use one of those standard baffles for the Savage but after hearing you guys shoot that idea down, why not use one of the V&H quite baffles, welded in a pipe attached to the head pipe. I think I will try it and worry about the exhaust tip and looks later. These baffles are around $40 and are well made. Thoughts?

quitebaffles2.jpg
  IP Logged
metalbrian45
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Exhaust idea
Reply #1 - 07/20/17 at 11:00:20

These are the standard baffles I already have, for reference.

standardbaffle.jpg
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 07/20/17 at 15:42:19

If you are going to use a fiberglass packed baffle don't start the bike in the garage you will blow loose fiberglass all over the garage.  Been there, done it.
 Start that puppy outside away from everything.  Wink
I'm happy with my sporty muffler, drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the baffle and the motor purrs.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Papa Bear

Canada ... near the Motor City
Reply #3 - 07/20/17 at 17:04:53

2011 Fox Orange S40 SOLD

Check out http://www.hogsforhospice.com/
  IP Logged
gizzo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiCabbage. It's
Savage.

Australia
Reply #4 - 07/20/17 at 22:26:00

My 2c and the others will probably disagree: It's your motorbike and if you want to try a drag pipe, more power to ya. It might run like garbage, but it might not, too. It WILL be insanely loud and incredibly obnoxious. But to each their own.
The quiet baffle you have in the pic looks like it could work well. It'd be worth a try. Personally, I have never had an issue with glass packing material blowing out the back, but I'm probably doing it wrong.
The muffler on my savage came with a glasspack baffle. it took the edge off the noise but was still pretty toxic. Bike ran fine with that pipe/baffle combo. Got tired of the noise so I made a proper baffle that fits inside the same muffler can (it's a modest size slash cut looking thing that I think looks better than the Dyna one). getting the size/number of holes to have it sound nice and not strangle the engine was just a matter of drilling holes in the baffle tube on either side of the central plug until it had the noise I was looking for. Again, it hasn't affected the way the engine runs one bit. That donut thing in the exhaust port is probably a limiting factor and maybe it helps ameliorate effects of whatever replacement muffler owners decide to use. Who knows.
Anyway, have a go and see what happens. It only has to go down the road, not fly to the moon  Cool .

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #5 - 07/21/17 at 04:49:51

No one is saying you have to run a Dyna ,we suggested it only because we know it will work ,and is easy for us to suggest the proper jetting and the price is usually reasonable. but the world is your oyster ,try anything, and tell us how it worked ,we're interested .

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
SALB
Serious Thumper

FSO

Whittier, AK
Reply #6 - 07/21/17 at 09:25:32

Raask and Blue Collar Bobbers (BCB) both used to sell drag pipes for our bikes.  Both companies put the baffle about where the right foot peg is.  I'm kind of curious how it turns out, as I'm considering doing the same, except with a homemade baffle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEUcnPP0hwg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GSTtBFZhiI

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 16:49:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust idea

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.