Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Oil seeping
07/10/17 at 00:52:06

Hello all,

Upgraded my muffler to HD Softail - much better sound and looks much cleaner Grin I used one of the flex exhaust repair kits that allowed me to  move muffler past the rear brake lever.

I adjusted Idle Mix screw as per EssForty and Serowbot's posts as well. At 3400 feet above the sea level it turned out to be 1 3/4 turns out from the closed postion. Still pops a little between 3 and 4 gear and does the dog fart after shut off. So may need to adjust it more or possibly get the jet kit.

Anyways, after few days I noticed that oil started collecting under the lower bolt that holds the kick stand :'(. Not much, may be a drop, no puddle underneath or anything. I can only find out about it if I reach to the bolt and feel under. From what I read looks like that bolt was loose when I removed the heat shield on the other side. I torqued all the bolts to the spec  (the ones on the other side as well) but still there is small oil seepage.

Is there a crush washer that I've missed? Thank you

Savage1_001.jpg

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Oil seeping
Reply #1 - 07/10/17 at 00:59:50

The peg bolts pass through the cases. Loose allows oil leaks.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Dave
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Camp Springs, Kentucky
Reply #2 - 07/10/17 at 04:28:11

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 07/10/17 at 00:59:50:
The peg bolts pass through the cases. Loose allows oil leaks.

So......JOG is suggesting in his brief comment that you should check to see if the bolts are tight.  They are "through bolts" - so you have to put a wrench on both sides of the bike when you tighten them.

Someday I will be old......But not today!

IP Logged
Gary_in_NJ
Serious Thumper

LS650 Cafe Racer

Amongst the Twisty Roads
Reply #3 - 07/10/17 at 05:34:10

About 60 ft-lbs should do the trick.

A life-time student of motorcycling.
LS650 Cafe, DRZ400SM, FZ6N, SV650S, CB900C, Ducati ST2, CB550F-SS
My LS650=> http://suzukisavage.com/yabb2.2/Attachments/Left.JPG
  IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #4 - 07/10/17 at 10:07:57

Got it. Thank you guys! I will re-torque passthrough bolts tonight.

2011 Savage s40, Raptor petcock, Dyna muffler, K&N drop-in filter, Jetted carb: 152(main)/52(pilot), Versy cam chain tensioner, reversed stock risers, rear turn signal relocate and LEDs.
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #5 - 07/11/17 at 10:22:41

I'm interested in where you got that flex pipe...I'm kinda tired of always cleaning off my brake line...

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #6 - 07/11/17 at 11:28:41

Transp0rt3r wrote on 07/10/17 at 10:07:57:
Got it. Thank you guys! I will re-torque passthrough bolts tonight.

Thank you all! Don't know how but the lower pass-through bolt was not torqued up to spec  Shocked  All is good now Smiley

Quote:
I'm interested in where you got that flex pipe...I'm kinda tired of always cleaning off my brake line...

I got it at AutoValue, local car parts store. They had plenty of these with different lengths and diameters.

1 7/8" worked out pretty good for the Softail side but I had to put a tin sleeve and exhaust gasket to make up for diameter difference on the Suzuki header.

IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #7 - 07/11/17 at 11:41:57

Thx! Good to know...any problems with airleaks?

'06 lt Blue, Dyna Power pipe, air screw 2 1/4 turns, 52.5 pilot w/ bleed holes, 150 Main, 2/3 spacer, Pirelli MT66 tires, Raptor petcock, 412-4006 Progressive shocks
  IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #8 - 07/11/17 at 11:51:03

You need to know that using this lengthens the exhaust header ,changing the torque peak,shorter headers favor higher RPM longer favor lower The header length for a 650 cc bike should range from 30 to 34 inches ,I believe ours is 32 . Adding 7 inches may be a bit radical. You might be better off getting a angled adapter to swing the rear of the muffler out away from the drum /arm.

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Bubba
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Denver, CO
Reply #9 - 07/11/17 at 11:56:07

yeah...if I go that route I'm not gonna add much...I currently only use one bolt to hold it on so maybe an angle adapter is the way to go...

IP Logged
batman
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

osceola new york
Reply #10 - 07/12/17 at 08:18:52

You could also bolt a piece of flat bar steel to the stock mount and drill holes to pickup the mounts on the muffler, bending the flat bar out slightly would get rid of the soot on the drum and brake arm (ask me how I know).

my old work mates called me MacGyver
  IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #11 - 07/13/17 at 11:57:41

Bubba wrote on 07/11/17 at 11:41:57:
Thx! Good to know...any problems with airleaks?

Nope. I used muffler seal on the exhaust header BUT it does change engine dynamics as batman mentioned. I only rode few times with it and will be shortening it tonight. I still want to fab rigid adapter though - similar to what Dave made here http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1353284557

IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #12 - 07/13/17 at 17:18:58

batman wrote on 07/11/17 at 11:51:03:
You need to know that using this lengthens the exhaust header ,changing the torque peak,shorter headers favor higher RPM longer favor lower The header length for a 650 cc bike should range from 30 to 34 inches ,I believe ours is 32 . Adding 7 inches may be a bit radical. You might be better off getting a angled adapter to swing the rear of the muffler out away from the drum /arm.

Thank you batman! Just measured it - it is 32'' from the head exhaust port to where it meets the stock muffler. I called local muffler shop, hopefully I can get proper adapter done this weekend. Grin

As for the oil seeping - all gone. Rode it to work and back today - not a smudge!

IP Logged
Transp0rt3r
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Calgary, AB
Reply #13 - 10/06/17 at 14:49:43

Sorry. Forgot to post update in this thread.

Got the adapter done at the local muffler shop last month (used measurements from the Dave's post) - works great!  Clamped it down with t-bolt clamps on each side. Just need to find long enough heat shield to cover the joint (I believe one from the Softail fits well). Works great - no leaks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/02/24 at 15:34:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil seeping

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.